S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S-Type 3.0 IDS SDD Software and Cable Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 S-Type 3.0 IDS SDD Software and Cable Help

So I've think I may have read my self a little crazy trying to figure all this out... I'm currently dealing with ABS fault and a couple blank wireless Key Fobs. There is a lot that will likely be done to my car so I'd like to get the generic devices with the correct protocols on the best IDS software for my vehicle from the start.

I'm unsure of what software version of SDD or IDS stand alone I should be running to allow me to use IDS to scan my 2003 s-type and which generic/clone cable I should be looking for. I'm running a laptop with windows XP Pro SP2 inside virtual box.

It believe I've seen recommendations for IDS 118.5, SDD 125, SDD 128.5, SDD 130.3 and 139.08. Out of these the only ones I was able to obtain were SDD 130.3(Currently installed) and 139.08. I don't have a working cable so nothing is connected but when I enter my vin into the SDD 130.3 or SDD 139.08(On separate systems), it prompts me to launch IDS, then 2 popups say launching IDS and go away, but then nothing, I am left at the launch IDS page in SDD. I don't know if this is an error due to lack of cable or something wrong with the software.

As far as cables go, I've only got VAG-COM cables which I don't believe are compatible so I've ordered some to try. I have more confusion here trying to find out what is compatible. Things that I've read may work or be required: Ford VCM Cable, VCM J2534 Cable, Ford/Mazda VCM II Cable or Generic, Mongoose Cable and Generic Mongoose Cable. I've also read that The Mongoose Cables and Clones are only good for after 2005 while also ready they work with 2003 S-Type and also that they work but not fully with 2003 S-Type.

What I was able to get my hands on the fastest for testing this weekend was:
  • VXDIAG VCX NANO for Ford/Mazda 2 in 1 with IDS V100 (From Amazon - After ordering dealer said its not compatible with Jaguar and that their Jaguar device, VXDIAG VCX Nano JLR SDD for Jaguar, is only good for 2005 or later, they also said with vxdiag manager driver the ford version it is J2534 compatible)
  • mini-vci j2534 for Toyota (Not very high hopes for this one)
Additional Cables I was Considering:
  • Ford Rotunda VCM II VCM2 DLC Cable for Bosch MTS 6516 VCI (On Ebay)
  • Mongoose Clone from China for $40-80 (Says they are only good on 2005 Jaguar and later)
Any help with the ideal generic cable for this car with the best software to be using(and possibly where I can find it) would be awesome.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

VCM2 wont work .
mongoose clone is dangerous for reprograming . although i've seen success story's
i've heard many more nightmare story's involving clones .
only genuine VCM1 or genuine mongoose is recommended .
i was set up a wile back by a (legend) forum member with a clean laptop with windows 7pro installed .
using ids v118 for the 03 s type . and a VCM1 .
there is a link on this forum to new vcm1 cables although not cheep .
finding a good working VCM1 with cables will be difficult .
but might be worth PM 'ing cambo as he some times has the odd one for sale .

cheapest way would be to get a lock smith or dare i say it , dealer, to program your key fobs .
and buy a genuine icarsoft i930 for your ABS fault finding .

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (11-30-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts
Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM

Hey Andy, Thanks for the reply, that thread is now closed and I believe I'm unable to initiate PMs yet. On a side note, Did you blackout your chrome trim elements or did your car not come with chrome?

I've done a lot of reading and I haven't seen a direct account of a clone messing up a vehicle so I'm wondering if they just don't work, fail, or indeed cause problems.

As far as VCM vs VCM II, I've read that VCM2 is backwards compatible and specifically the Ford Rotunda VCM II will work on these vehicles and that a genuine Rotunda VCMII is safer than a Genuine Mongoose. Does anyone know if this is true?

Also curious about what the "j2534" is, it is a protocal that is customized by the manufacturers or a standard interface and protocol in various packaging that are actually cross compatible between manufacturers?

I'm still looking for the following software if anyone knows where it is available: Last version of IDS... 118 or 118.5, and SDD 125, and SDD 128.5.

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

SAE J2534. It's sort of a software spec for allowing the dealer app to talk to any hardware device meeting the spec.

(A maker of a J2534 device supplies a Windows DLL and the dealer app has a mechanism to find then use it. Yes, tied by spec to Windows!)

Of course the dealer app has no way to know if the hardware end works right...

And then there's the huge power sucked by many cars - especially during a reflash - so you need a hefty and good quality supply if you value your car and plan to reflash.

Last edited by JagV8; 11-03-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM

So if I'm understanding correctly, the J2534 device is tied to a Car Make by the driver/dll that the J2534 manufacturer includes and that the dealer app will then detect as being compatible with their software if the dll identifies it as such?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Something like that.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

VCMII will not work... As mentioned an original VCM is safest then original Mongoose.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Any recommendations on IDS/SDD software revisions?

Old 11-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by AmDazed
Thanks for the info everyone. Any recommendations on IDS/SDD software revisions?
IDS 118.5 would probably work best in your situation.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi
I use a mongoose lead and IDS/SDD version 130
its the best recomended and most stable version
got my lead and software from british diagnostics, cost me £70 with a genuine mongoose lead with serial and licence
the software only works on windows xp pro, I bought a dedicated laptop for it for less than £50 and it runs perfect, you can do everthing jaguar can and as a diagnostic tool its superb
some companies offer the software that runs on any version of windows, it uses VMWARE to create a virtual windows xp pro, but its no where near as stable as running on windows xp itself
also IDS is for pre 2005 cars and SDD is for post 2005 cars
cheers
Joe

AmDazed (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the great help and advise thus far.
Going to try an original Ford VCM Clone (on order) and Mongoose Clone (on order) with IDS. Not planning on re-flashing so hopefully they will suffice for now. Though I don't know if key fob programming is considered flashing or dangerous with clone cables.

Currently still trying to get IDS to launch out of SDD 130.3 on windows xp pro sp3. It says it is launching IDS but then nothing. It may be corrupt software but I think it may be a pre-requisite I am missing.

Still looking for IDS 118.5 and IDS/SDD 125, and IDS/SDD 128.5 to get around the IDS launch bug I'm experiencing with 130.3 on xp sp2/sp3 32bit and with 139.8 on win 7 pro 32bit.
Anyone else have SDD that failed to launch IDS that they were able to resolve?

Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Hi
Version 130 IDS/SDD seem to be the best, it supports all the s-type range, every one
I'm Sure version 139 does not support pre 2005 cars as they did away with IDS, only SDD which is for post 2005 cars
plus they only work on windows xp pro, they can only be used on win 7, by using a emulator, like VMWARE, but it not as stable, best to use on windows xp pro, clean install
cheers
Joe

cat_as_trophy (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 to Joe's advice . . . mirrors my setup on XP laptop, which I have used for a multitude of tasks including reprogramming of keyfobs on Jaguar S-Types, XK8/Rs and XJs. His explanation of the date changes from IDS to SDD are spot on, as is advice to stay with rock solid performance of Ver 130. I have had flaky issues with, IIRC, both Ver 138 & 139.

Interested in comments regards VMWARE because I have had a Win 7 tablet under test for many months now. Jury still out and not willing to try any mission critical reflashing on that yet.

+1 also to warning from [JagV8]. Before any reflash or programming . . . not only ensure that car battery is at top notch, but also that your IDS/SDD machine is plugged into a secure mains supply . . . then hold a Bible in your left hand and pray you don't suffer a blackout !!! A dead Jaguar is a cumbersome and expensive millstone if you brick it.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 11-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Hi
Also the most important part you need is a descent battery charger
at least 10 Amps, when you plug in, even just doing basic diagnostics, you have to switch the ignition on and off many times and this will flatten the battery quite quick
if your reading modules or even just clearing faults, if it goes flat half way it can corrupt/damage the module or modules
It is a MUST that you have a descent battery charger on the battery, when diagnosing or flashing anything on the car
cheers
Joe

Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM

hi cat_as_trophy
I have IDS/SDD as a VMWARE image
it works ok, but is more awkward to use as its in a virtual system, its awkward to save files and print screen captures of faults
but it ok for just diagnosing and reading and clearing faults
I have a image but its nearly 7GB, if it were as east to email it you I would
cheers
Joe

Old 11-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Not sure but I have heard that you should disable internet access on the Virtual machine?

Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 on no internet, whether a native XP or virtual machine . . . reasoning that, if internet available, s/w will attempt to access update processes that will fail and lock. Rather than a downside, I see this as a real benefit. Never being www'd and only inheriting data (I have all my Jag reference materials on same) after it has been downloaded and virus scanned on my principal laptop, this separate IDS/SDD platform can be freed of any firewall, malware scanning or other performance inhibiting s/w. The only thing it will ever talk to other than cars, is the occasional addition of reference data via scanned flash stick.

To Joe . . . thanks to my Aussie connections, it sounds like I have the same or similar VM image V130 s/w files . . . built from 9 ? rar files, IIRC. My comments re the Win7 VM app were not to suggest problems . . . rather, that after such confidence built around my native XP app, I am running both for comparison during low risk tasks, but see no pressing reason to trust the Win 7 VM during reflash tasks. Call me conservative, but the native XP has proved solid! Agree with battery charger warning . . . essential during programming for reasons stated . . . sucks big juice and can be quite time consuming also.

On a similar thread elsewhere [JagV8] reminds us that this IDS/SDD s/w was intended to be used only by techs as part of, then beyond, formal factory sponsored training for which there were training course pdf guides. These can be heavy going stuff so, even after some years at this, I still consider myself no expert. Wisely, caveats apply . . . playing with these tools, especially if you do not have access to the training guides and/or venture into programming, is potentially hazardous. Users have been warned.

Cheers,

Ken

Datsports (11-09-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Joedotcom
Hi
I use a mongoose lead and IDS/SDD version 130
its the best recomended and most stable version
got my lead and software from british diagnostics, cost me £70 with a genuine mongoose lead with serial and licence
the software only works on windows xp pro, I bought a dedicated laptop for it for less than £50 and it runs perfect, you can do everthing jaguar can and as a diagnostic tool its superb
some companies offer the software that runs on any version of windows, it uses VMWARE to create a virtual windows xp pro, but its no where near as stable as running on windows xp itself
also IDS is for pre 2005 cars and SDD is for post 2005 cars
cheers
Joe
Going to go Joe's Route and will post back the results. For $100 to $135 for cable and software that works on pre 2005 cars with support, sounds like a great deal.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

It is. Spend time reading up on it so you're ready for its huge features and somewhat failure to be intuitive (you're expected to have been on training courses).

AmDazed (11-30-2017)