S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 S Type Rear Window Regulator Change With Pics FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts
Default 2003 S Type Rear Window Regulator Change With Pics FAQ

I've seen a lot of discussion on regulator changing but very few pictures and the pics I have seen are of the pre-facelift cars.
As was changing mine today I thought I'd post up some pictures and info that may help someone. the pictures have not come out as well as I would have liked but you will get the idea.

First job is to remove the door card, there are two phillips screws below the rubber mat in the grab well for door closing.

Name:  DSC02687-1.jpg
Views: 5327
Size:  12.4 KB

the surround behind the door handle needs to come out if you work around it with a small scredriver or something similar it will come out quite easily, take care not to damage the panel.
Name:  DSC02688.jpg
Views: 6034
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  DSC02689.jpg
Views: 6411
Size:  21.9 KB

Then pry around the door card again taking care of the paint and trim, I used a plastic trim removal tool.

Name:  DSC02690-1.jpg
Views: 5792
Size:  46.9 KB

Here is the back of the card, you need to unclip the cable from the switchpack to remove it completely.

Name:  DSC02691-1.jpg
Views: 5312
Size:  62.9 KB

There is a small oval opening in the center of the door covered with a round piece of tape, remove the cover and align the plastic gripper section of the regulator until the locating pin can be seen.

Name:  DSC02694.jpg
Views: 5263
Size:  50.0 KB

It is useful to have another pair of hands at this point, I didn't so used tape to hold the window in the correct position.

Name:  DSC02696.jpg
Views: 5249
Size:  33.3 KB

You will see the plastic pin that goes through the plastic part of the regulator and the window with a smaller pin in the center, using a suitable punch drive the center pin out, take care not to hit the glass! Then drive out the outer part both of these will fall into the bottom of the door and will need to be fished out later.
Name:  DSC02701-1.jpg
Views: 5345
Size:  21.4 KB

These are the pins, sorry about the picture quality.

When the pins are out pull the window all the way up and secure it again.

I removed the speaker to get more access and to reach the pins in the bottom of the door.
Name:  DSC02698-1.jpg
Views: 5279
Size:  52.0 KB

The regulator is secured by one stud at the top

Name:  DSC02699-1.jpg
Views: 5244
Size:  38.9 KB

And three bolts at the bottom, the third bolt is above and to the left of these.
Name:  DSC02700-1.jpg
Views: 5215
Size:  29.9 KB

When these are removed it is possible to wriggle the regulator around enough to disconnect the motor electrical plug and then remove the unit entirely.

The motor needs to be switched over to the new regulator, it is fixed with 3 torx screws and is a simple switch, unless the ***** who made it forgot to tap the holes.

After a quick trip to Harbor freight the holes were tapped and the motor was on.

Name:  DSC02703-1.jpg
Views: 5872
Size:  68.9 KB

Installation is the reverse procedure except you should put the plastic pins into the glass before the regulator is installed then push the window down into the holder until it clicks into place.

The window is working fine now and completing the reset procedure got the one touch closing back in operation.

The whole thing took me a couple of hours including the trip to Harbor Freight and it was bloody hot - 110deg.

I'd guess if I did the other side tomorrow it would be well under an hour.

Last edited by Norri; 07-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Norri:
Alex33417 (05-12-2016), cats4.2 (01-02-2023), happie (06-17-2018), joycesjag (07-02-2011), S-Type Owner (05-09-2019), the beagle (01-24-2012) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good job norri , you should make it FAQ

Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Nice write up norri! Thanks for taking the time to take pictures along the way.

hee hee damn "*****"!

BTW am I seeing your exterior window trim as black and not chrome (where you have the red tape)?

Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Nice job, norri. Hope your other side holds up indefinitely. Plastic parts in these window regulators will never make any sense other than cost reduction at the factory. Just another parts failure waiting to happen for all of us....

Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag

BTW am I seeing your exterior window trim as black and not chrome (where you have the red tape)?
Nothing gets past you Rick! They are black which I am grateful for after reading about the problems you and others had with the anodised ones.

I assume it was part of the sports package as they took all the other chrome parts off.

Todays project is the thermostat hose assy, I put the car outside and I can't touch the damn thing now, forecast is 118deg.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 S Type Rear Window Regulator Change With Pics FAQ-dsc02704.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clean work...

The following users liked this post:
Jimmy 68 (10-14-2014)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Thanks norri!!!!

Thanks Norri, made my job much, much easier. Left side now both replaced...crossing fingers for the passenger's side, but will probably order the parts anyway. As you all have all said...these plastic parts are indeed planned obsolence...a repair in the making.

Steve

Norri (08-05-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Ugh just did mine. Stupid plastic piece. I understand that it will move much smoother, but at least they could have reinforced the plastic right there

Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Nice work, Norri. Thanks for the pics!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All,

Just finished doing this repair on my '05 S-Type.

Couple of lessons learned:

1. Very gently pry the release clip on the window regulator motor power connection and it will slide right off. Don't gently pry the release clip and it just isn't going to come off.

2. The regulator I got from Amazon also did not have threads to mount the motor. Be prepared for this.

3. I used a long hemostat to insert the outer plastic ring into the regulator slide and window glass. It made the job way easier as it is really difficult to get your hand behind the glass when it's that far down.

4. When you insert the inner expanding sleeve, tap very gently on it with an appropriate length punch until it is seated. Otherwise you'll just pop the whole inner and outer sleeve assembly out the back and have to dig it out from the bottom of the door.

5. Take the opportunity to lubricate the inner door mechanism while you have the panel off. Might as well do some maintenance when you've got it open.

Have a great day!

Scott

The following 3 users liked this post by Scott Taylor:
cats4.2 (12-16-2022), cobra29 (01-09-2014), Michael Star (08-25-2013)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Default S-Type rear window regulator clip - 2 different versions

I am stocking the plastic window regulator clips for the S-Type.

In 90% of all regulator malfunctions, it is those plastic clips (become brittle with age, as on virtually ALL cars) that fail.

Every once in a while, I come across an S-Type were the clips do NOT fit, since the rear regulator is using a 'non standard' clip design (mirror image of the R and L clips I have).

I have NOT been able to figure out which years/versions/models/VIN range may be using those 'non standard' regulators (for which btw NO manufacturer in Europe that I know of makes the clips).

At first glance, it is not that obvious how the 'standard' differ from the 'non standard'. I created this sheet to illustrate and identify 'non standard'.

I am 'collecting' car info for for standard and non-standard in a database to try to narrow down the 'identifiers', to help users to determine if their car can use the standard clips (for inexpensive DIY repair) or if they need to replace the entire regulator.

Can you post your car's characteristic (year/make/model/build date/VIN (?)) and identify 'standard' or 'non standard' rear clips?

Post, PM please

Attached Thumbnails 2003 S Type Rear Window Regulator Change With Pics FAQ-jaguar-s-type-rear-non-standard-regulator-clips.jpg  

Last edited by Norri; 04-11-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Removed commercial links
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Be sure to check the back of the door panel to see if any of the push pins are broken. It looks like you are missing one at the bottom. You get rattles and squeaks if one or more push pins are missing.

These push pins are identical to the Lincoln LS part so they are easy to find. I did note Jaguar adds a small foam collar to the pin. I guess for added noise control. These foam collars can be swapped over if you new pin does not have them.

Usually changing just the plastic part that breaks is not a good idea. Look at the picture of the bad regulator posted above. The cables get kinked and all twisted up. I have attempted to restring the regulator but have never got it back correctly. The LAST thing I want to do is go back in to a repair I just did!

Do yourself a favor and just buy the entire regulator.

Another tip. You must clock the motor to your new regulator or your window might not go all the way up or all the way down. There is a range that the automatic adjustment can handle but it's not huge. I hook up just the motor to the window switch and run it all the way up several times. Then I put the window all the way up and assemble. Sometimes there is not enough room and you will need to move the window position a bit.

The Gen 1 cars do not have this problem because they don't have the "Bounce Back" feature on the power windows that stops the window from pinching your hand or finger.

For this reason I now replace the regulator and the motor together even though the motor almost never fails. Just quicker and easier!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Usually changing just the plastic part that breaks is not a good idea. Look at the picture of the bad regulator posted above. The cables get kinked and all twisted up.

I have attempted to restring the regulator but have never got it back correctly. The LAST thing I want to do is go back in to a repair I just did!

Do yourself a favor and just buy the entire regulator.[/FONT][/COLOR]
My experience based on 5000 or so clips changed:

a) a 'crunchy' sound when moving windows up down can be a sign of bad cables. In this case: cables might be compromised. In most cases, the cables lost their tension when they jumped off the guide pulleys. If not willing to take the door panels off for a more detailed analysis (and then get what you need) and planning a 'fix in one stop' (and not minding the cost): get a complete regulator on hand. Even then: I would take the needed parts off the aftermarket (Dorman for example is EXCLUSIVELY made in China) regulator and keep the OEM parts (metal guides, etc)

b) if glass moves down and up (with help of hands), the clips are the likely cause.

In 90% of all cases, the plastic clip fails. The plastic (POM, selected for its superior wear resistance and low coefficient of friction) naturally ages, and becomes brittle over time. It is not so much a question IF they break, just WHEN. This applies to ALL models I know of (Audi, VW, BMW, Jaguar, Ford, GM/Opel, Chrysler, Mercedes, Dodge).

The labor to change the clips is equivalent to the labor for changing the regulator (on most cars; on some, replacement the entire regulator requires additional drilling out of rivets, and putting new rivets in).

My recommendation: where there are 2 clips (front doors), replace them BOTH when 'in there.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM

Volker, I've deleted your commercial links as per forum rules.

Haven't we been down this road before?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...52/#post409042

Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 AM

That's ok.
Not sure that my post(s) were construed as 'selling'.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Good point but it's not that easy to catch it BEFORE it all springs apart and fouls the cable. I also don't repair things until they break so I might not even have the car when it finally lets go.

I do agree to change all the plastic parts if you go that way. It's very common to have one plastic clip break and then if you look closely at the other they will have cracks in them. In fact I have even found that bits of white plastic start breaking off and falling to the bottom of the door. I could not figure out what the heck those little bits were until the regulator gave up the ghost.

One BIG point I wanted to make and forgot.

DON'T slam any door unless the window is all the way up or all the way down. I prefer to have them all the way up.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-18-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by vtraudt
That's ok.
Not sure that my post(s) were construed as 'selling'.
We are probably going to disagree on that one!

You are welcome to post to help others and I'm sure a discreet link in your signature will be fine, but posts containing email addresses and large links to websites aren't going to fly.
I'm going to move these two posts to the S Type thread for the sake of continuity.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Agreed - I do not close any of my S-Type's doors until I roll the window all the way up where it is fully supported in the frame....

Old 04-11-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
You are welcome to post to help others and I'm sure a discreet link in your signature will be fine, but posts containing email addresses and large links to websites aren't going to fly.
I'm going to move these two posts to the S Type thread for the sake of continuity.
Can you delete the obtrusive website links from my post?

But leave the comparison photo ('standard' vs. 'non standard' regulator) in there?

Its still a mystery; and remains 'trial and error' for users to PRE determine what they need. Currently: need to remove door panel, get to the clips. Check if 'standard' or 'non standard' (and/or complete regulator change required or DIY clip (available from several aftermarket source (i.e. ebay) for little money).

Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM

All done, couldn't you have done it yourself?

Quick Reply: 2003 S Type Rear Window Regulator Change With Pics FAQ