S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 V6 S-Type Torque Converter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saga continues - contacted local Ford dealership to see if they'd use their flush and fill machine to flush out the ZF/MerconSP fluid mix my tranny shop put in the tranny after the converter transplant, and they declined to put the Mercon SP in my Jag, even if I gave them a liability waiver, based on a liability concern if they put other than the Jag-recommended ZF fluid in the Jag. Yet, Mercon SP is what Ford/Lincoln use in their ZF6HP26 transmissions. From on-line research, Mercon SP is a variant of Mercon V / Mercon LV (low viscosity) and is a full synthetic, rather than mineral oil, with additional additives for electronically controlled newer transmissions with close internal tolerances, and is produced in Houston by Shell to the same Shell performance specification as the ZF fluid produced by Shell in Europe. Makes no sense that the Mercon SP shouldn't work in the Jag transmisson since it's the same transmission used in the Lincoln's - go figure! Maybe some slight difference in the additives or their concentrations, but hard to imagine these two fluids wouldn't be compatible?? And I know others have serviced their Jag transmissions with Mercon SP while having the ZF fluid still in the converter. Will consult with another tranny shop that has a flush and fill machine to see what they can do. If that doesn't pan out, I'll find a way to purge the fluid through the transmission cooler lines myself. I put up a separate post to see if anyone has done this previously as there has to be a way. If the tranny shops can flush and fill through the cooler lines, a Saturday mechanic should be able to do it as well - should just require maintaining flooded suction or slight pressure on the cooler return line to the transmission with fresh fluid in a pump sprayer tank, and then let the transmission pump circulate new fluid into the transmission while dumping the old to a bucket until it runs clean/clear??

Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plot thickened today - found out the transmission shop went to the local Ford dealer and asked for Mercon SP and the Ford dealership sold them Mercon LV and said the Ford dealerships were no longer carrying Mercon SP and recommending and using the LV in their transmissions now. Did some searching on line on one of the diesel forums and someone with an RV ran into the same problem with their Ford dealer - were told to use LV instead of SP and questioned it. So, I have a tranny with half LG6 and half Mercon LV so it's going in for an oil, pan and sleeve change with all Mercon SP ASAP. And people wonder why I dislike auto service providers - total incompetence! Crap! I have found another shop that can do the pan and sleeve change and change out all the oil with their flush and fill unit, and they have the Mercon SP in stock. Or, they'll let me supply the materials and do it for labor only.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt that fluid is the cause of this. I count it up to wonderful ZF engineering and hasty production schedules at Ford/Jaguar at the time. They probably had their best engineers working on the XF while the sustaining engineers were learining their product line and resolving a host of other problems as well as this.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was this ever solved ?

im doing a tranny update (software) on my 2.7D later having changed the oil and filter a year ago. The TC seems to be causing a noise at 50mph and flickering rev needle and a slight judder under load...

no leaks and oil level is correct.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Originally Posted by mjnurney
was this ever solved ?

im doing a tranny update (software) on my 2.7D later having changed the oil and filter a year ago. The TC seems to be causing a noise at 50mph and flickering rev needle and a slight judder under load...

no leaks and oil level is correct.
Are there any warning indicators showing on the instrument cluster?

Is the MIL on, and if so, what DTCs are stored? Use OBD port to obtain codes.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:55 AM

Hi yes I solved it by adding this fluid after an oil change.

LUBEGUARD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INSTANT SHUDDER FIXX AUTO GEARBOX FIX by dr tranny. (EBay)

small red tubes, I added 2 of them and after 20,000 miles I’ve not had a murmur or slip from the box at all.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:27 AM
Default How would I add this?

Hi, I’ve just found this post as I’m having TC judder issues and was wondering how I would apply this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jay.

Originally Posted by mjnurney
Hi yes I solved it by adding this fluid after an oil change.

LUBEGUARD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION INSTANT SHUDDER FIXX AUTO GEARBOX FIX by dr tranny. (EBay)

small red tubes, I added 2 of them and after 20,000 miles I’ve not had a murmur or slip from the box at all.