S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 aluminum window trim removal w/pics FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2007 S-Type Right Rear top trim popped out

Got here as I was looking for fix on my new 2007 S-Type Right Rear top trim popped out issue. Glad to have that thread! Thanks for all advices.
I am now aware of the bolt that need to be taken out and 3M tape and fasteners required.
I couldn't figure out why it popped out. I asked an experienced mechanic as I tought it had force applied to, but he said that it is due to the sun. He was so right!! My car park under a shade that cover from the sun only part of the car. Amazingly - the part under the shade is midway the rear door lines. So part of the trim is cool since it is shaded, and the other half is extremely hot. The trim probably stretched partially and teared the fasteners. I looked at the other door and it is certainly getting to happen there as well.
I purchased 20 fasteners and 3m 4941F trim tape.
When they arrive I will have it fixed.

Thanks again - great thread.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I had to replace a couple of the drivers side rear window trim plastic fasteners in the summer of 2012 due to them becoming brittle and finally breaking. In my case, the fasteners were enough. I did not need to use any trim tape. At the same time, I purchased a couple of spare fasteners expecting to have to make the same repair to the passenger side rear window trim. No need yet, but I know it will eventually happen....

Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Jon89;
That's where I am at on my 2005 but I can't get the remains of the old deteriorated clip out? I only need to replace the back two clips.

I know the clips have a center pin that you push in flush after the clip is inserted to lock it in place. My old clips have the ears broken off and only a square center of white plastic is left with the center pin. I am afraid I will scratch the paint trying to bust out the remains of the clip.

Any suggestions? I don't want to fully remove the trim so I can't get a straight shot to knock the center pin out. Which is (I think) how you are supposed to remove them.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I used a small pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull the broken fragments of my plastic trim fasteners out of the metal channel. Took my time and don't recall having any difficulties in doing so. For even finer tolerances, a sturdy set of tweezers may be even better....

Old 01-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm glad I found this thread, but, I am no better off than before. I am a long way from a Jag dealer (150 miles), went down there to get the $3 X-clips so I could re-snug the loose trim over the rear door/window. Got the plastic X-clips installed, but I can't get the trim onto the clips. It does not want to snap onto them with pressure from my hand. I must be doing something wrong, or, a 2008 is different. Looks the same now but with new clips.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AirCommando
Well, I'm glad I found this thread, but, I am no better off than before. I am a long way from a Jag dealer (150 miles), went down there to get the $3 X-clips so I could re-snug the loose trim over the rear door/window. Got the plastic X-clips installed, but I can't get the trim onto the clips. It does not want to snap onto them with pressure from my hand. I must be doing something wrong, or, a 2008 is different. Looks the same now but with new clips.

I would suspect that the problem is that the loose trim has somehow gotten the trim out of alignment or bent slightly in the some weird way. You could take it off and compare to the other side and see.

Is this the front or rear window? I either had to decide to pay the Jag price for the trim or what I did was to use new clips and a quick drying but durable epoxy and that solved my problem.

Tom in Dallas/Plano
2005 S-Type 3.0 87K

Old 01-10-2016, 04:47 PM

It's the rear upper over the top. I replaced three clips from the front to rear. I am afraid to take the entire piece off for fear I may wind up not getting it back on. It is not bent on the outside, lines up well, just won't snap on.

Last edited by AirCommando; 01-10-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

It's the rear upper over the top. I replaced three clips from the front to rear. I am afraid to take the entire piece off for fear I may wind up not getting it back on. It is not bent on the outside, lines up well, just won't snap on.
Is the little center strip in place that the clips attach between? I am assuming you are sure you go the right ones and size. I will still bet the clips are not lining up correctly for whatever reason with the two small rails on the inside of the trim. I would not worry about taking the whole piece off. Just make sure there is a small piece of the rubber on the bottom rear between that piece of trim and the one that runs along the door.

Tom

The following users liked this post:
AirCommando (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

I am sure you have the right clip. They are the same from vin 45255.

Xr826786

Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Gee whiz, I guess I did not explain the OP so well. It's really not rocket science.

I cannot offer anything other than the OP.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
Is the little center strip in place that the clips attach between? I am assuming you are sure you go the right ones and size. I will still bet the clips are not lining up correctly for whatever reason with the two small rails on the inside of the trim. I would not worry about taking the whole piece off. Just make sure there is a small piece of the rubber on the bottom rear between that piece of trim and the one that runs along the door.

Tom

Thanks Tom. The two small rails on the inside of the trim? That must be it. I can feel that the trim wants to catch on something, the grooves in the clips probably catch on the rails. I bet the rails are bent inwards or something from me pushing and pounding! The rubber piece is there, that area has not been disturbed. I don't want to mess with that. You are probably right, I'll have to figure out how to look inside the trim to see the rails. I figure the 3M two sided tape, which is still there, shouldn't have to glue itself to the frame to make a seal, the clips should hold it.

It's dark now and I'm tired. I'll mess with it tomorrow. It wasn't easy getting those clips in with the trim partially pulled off!

Last edited by AirCommando; 01-11-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Tom. The two small rails on the inside of the trim? That must be it. I can feel that the trim wants to catch on something, the grooves in the clips probably catch on the rails. I bet the rails are bent inwards or something. The rubber piece is there, that area has not been disturbed. I don't want to mess with that. You are probably right, I'll have to figure out how to look inside the trim to see the rails. I figure the 3M two sided tape, which is still there, shouldn't have to glue itself to the frame to make a seal, the clips should hold it.
The clips compress between the rails and expand slightly to make the fit. They could be bent downward or inward, but not sure how that would happen. Lets hope they are not broken, although 3 areas would seem excessive. I think when I did it and JoycesJag (Rick) could verify- I think you will need to slip it over the clips with going above or below and slip it over one side of the clip and compress to fit the other side in.

Tom

Old 01-11-2016, 05:02 AM

Well, I woke up in the middle of the night and got after it again. One thing I failed to do was lower the window. With the window lowered, the trim snaps into place. When I close the window, it pops off. I think maybe I have to put some super glue on the clips!

Terry

Old 01-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

That sounds like something is wrong.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

It does, the window shouldn't make a difference.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
It does, the window shouldn't make a difference.
I disagree. The window being up or down will make a difference. When the window closes completely it pushed up -the rubber does move the upward against the rail and can push it off the clips. I have had the exact same problem, except the reverse.

I can understand how difficult it might have been to get the old clips off- if any of them were still there. I assume you have the clips in long-wise? I think the fact that the window does push off the trim from the clips goes back t my point that something is out of alignment that caused the problem in the first place or the fact the trim got loose would and then made some slight alternations in itself is why the clips will not go on. I would make a bet that is you just took the trim off completely- (however I would order more clips first), you would see the area where the front 3 were off is bent slightly backward and not by very much.

I would NOT use super glue. Too brittle and will not hold (I already tried that first). I know my front one was slightly bent when I had to replace my clips and I found a good 3 minute epoxy and really put pressure on it to hold it firmly in place and it has held for 4 years. Make sure you have some rubbing compound or something to clean up the glue that might ooze out. I would still say to remove the whole piece and if you get the front 3 in, then I bet the back ones on top would not fit right.

I battled with this for a week when I fixed it finally.

Tom in Dallas

Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Well, Didn't need the epoxy. Discovered what the problem was...the rubber seal strips above and below the rails got pinched into the channel and were preventing the clips from grabbing the rails. Moved 'em out of the way and the trim went right on. Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Good, did you use the double sided tape also?

Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Good, did you use the double sided tape also?
No, not necessary. I did take the entire trim piece off. Looks like the way the factory did it is sufficient. No evidence it was ever used before.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

did you use the double sided tape also?
I don't believe he did Norri as he keeps referring to the 3M Automotive double sided tape as "rubber seal", which was explained in the OP in this discussion and again within the first 5 posts.

Quick Reply: 2005 aluminum window trim removal w/pics FAQ