S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Jaguar STR reliability concerns (possible purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Jaguar STR reliability concerns (possible purchase)

I'm sure this has been discussed at length since everyone knows Jaguar has had a checkered past in terms of reliability over the years, with a steady improvement thanks to Ford. I am looking at an 05 STR with around 36xxx miles on it for what I deem a fair price. (under 21k) My concerns are that it is out of warranty. What are the tell tale signs of an STR that has not been maintained properly, IE what should I be looking for when I test drive it? I plan to hire a mechanic to look it over, but most people have not driven an STR and do not know the nuances to these cars. I know to look for lurching issues with the tranny, but beyond that I am unsure. BTW this is my first post, and perhaps many more if I decide to purchase this STR! Ever since the S-type came out I have love the aesthetics of it.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Under $20k for an 05 STR w/30k miles? Nice deal! Trust me, you won't be disappointed with this beast. First check air filter and oil. Some owners are not diligent with changing air filters and oil in a timely fashion. You can take the VIN and run it through Jaguars data base to check her service. My 03 STR's air filter was pretty dirty but nontheless runs very quiet and smooth. I baby her. The STR's 4.2 S/C engine is very tough and can take a beating. Exhaust, K&N air filter, ECU, and S/C mods will put her well beyond her present 400 h.p and 410 lb/ft torque. Go with an STR, she's sexy and beastly...she'll dig her claws into many an unsuspecting MB, Audi, Lexus, etc.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Under $20k for an 05 STR w/30k miles? Nice deal! Trust me, you won't be disappointed with this beast. First check air filter and oil. Some owners are not diligent with changing air filters and oil in a timely fashion. You can take the VIN and run it through Jaguars data base to check her service. My 03 STR's air filter was pretty dirty but nontheless runs very quiet and smooth. I baby her. The STR's 4.2 S/C engine is very tough and can take a beating. Exhaust, K&N air filter, ECU, and S/C mods will put her well beyond her present 400 h.p and 410 lb/ft torque. Go with an STR, she's sexy and beastly...she'll dig her claws into many an unsuspecting MB, Audi, Lexus, etc.

I like your response esp. about the mods. If I get it I vow not to mod it, but then again I put headers and exhaust on a Nissan vq35 engine after 4 years and loved it since. Where is this Jag database? The owner says it was always maintained at a local jag dealership and I will ask for the records. My main issue is using it as a DD: I plan on putting 8-10k miles a year on it and can't have a car that is out of service frequently. I planned on driving it with the a/c off to really listen to the car and to see how the tranny shifts, thats my biggest concern. Also, any recommendations on good extended 3rd party warranties?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Don't be too put off by the "lurch" since it is more a drive-ability issue than a failure point. There are hardly any issues with the ZF failing. Just be forewarned that these cars are very expensive to maintain (brakes, trans service, etc.). That said, they are pretty much bullet proof compared to other high strung European performance models. Check out what owners are saying about M5's, AMG's, or Audi S's.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

You simply give any Jag dealer the cars VIN and he/she will pull up all the service records regardless what Jag dealer performed the work. As Josworth mentioned, the STR is well built and strong. Yes, it will be expensive to maintain her if you use a Jag dealer. Most mechanics will be able to perform all the basic maintenance (tires, brakes, oil, trans fluid, exhaust, etc.. And No!...you won't be able to "not" mod her. You will enhance her ability to inhale and exhale. I'm a doc and I too originally delgated her to reliable DD duty. The STR is a sexy beast, romancing you to....

Old 06-20-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
You simply give any Jag dealer the cars VIN and he/she will pull up all the service records regardless what Jag dealer performed the work. As Josworth mentioned, the STR is well built and strong. Yes, it will be expensive to maintain her if you use a Jag dealer. Most mechanics will be able to perform all the basic maintenance (tires, brakes, oil, trans fluid, exhaust, etc.. And No!...you won't be able to "not" mod her. You will enhance her ability to inhale and exhale. I'm a doc and I too originally delgated her to reliable DD duty. The STR is a sexy beast, romancing you to....
This is good news to hear. Problem is I just found it the car was repossessed less than a year ago which concerns me. And at auction it sat for 2 months with no miles put on it(been reading jags should be used every week even if for a small jaunt). It's a good price for the car, but the backround of it concerns me.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Check the a/c for leaks - if it's not been used the seals (on any car) can leak.

If you buy it, pay less because of its history and negotiate hard - these are hard to sell (but easy to buy).

Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

slickrick, My STR's CarFax listed her as: Repossessed from original owner, purchased at auction, then resold at auction w/80k after the second owner traded her in. Though the STR you are spec-ing sat for two years (started? or not started?, who knows?) a/c seals do degrade. As jagv8 suggests, negotiate. Don't be surprised slickrick that what is left is a beautiful working STR yearning for someone to love her...and mod her....

Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM

You all make very valid points. The car sat for 2 months, not 2 years. Since it was purchased in January of this year, it has racked up 8k miles. The gentlemen now claims he had no idea it was reposessed (previously told me his uncle owned it), and that this is common in today's car market. I found out this car was purchased from a shady used car lot here through my diligent research. I am going to pull a car fax now and see what it states. (already rean an autocheck on it)

Old 06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't worry too much about the car being re-possessed per se. All it means is a previous Owner couldn't pay for the car. If the car is mechanically sound, GET IT!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Just saw the car in person. Could not drive it but turned it on. car looks good. I noticed when revving the car I could feel the drivetrain almost shimmy, but I noticed this in my fathers 08 STS even when he got it new. I asked if a motor mount went bad, he has no clue. I'l try to upload some pix soon The owner put a Jag "supercharged" logo on the car which I don't like, but other than that it looks good.

Here are some pix of it with my cell phone:

?action=view&current=jagresizedpic4.jpg#%21oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs866.photobuc.jpg%26

?action=view&current=jagresizedpic4.jpg#%21oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs866.photobuc.jpg%26

?action=view&current=jagresizedpic4.jpg#%21oZZ4QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs866.photobuc.jpg%26

Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Old 06-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by slickrick
(been reading jags should be used every week even if for a small jaunt).
This is more internet mumbo-jumbo that's not based on fact. Many Jags are put away for the winter (much like any type of car might be) and are none the worse for it.

Mine sat unwanted and unloved at a dealer for 8 months until I came along.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
This is more internet mumbo-jumbo that's not based on fact. Many Jags are put away for the winter (much like any type of car might be) and are none the worse for it.

Mine sat unwanted and unloved at a dealer for 8 months until I came along.
That's what I like to hear.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks clean to me.....GET IT, and join us here in the STR club!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Riski
Looks clean to me.....GET IT, and join us here in the STR club!
Haha I'm close to doing it but what concerns me is the engine insulation was partially hanging down under part of the hood. Is that Ford quality at its best? Anyone have a hookup on a jag mechanic in south florida who I can pay to look over this car?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

re hanging down: Nope. Someone's messed with it. Bear in mind that Ford did not build the car. Jaguar did. Sure, owned by Ford at the time but be wary of what you assume. (You're not making an *** outta me lol)

Very doubtful that a motor mount is bad. Think what else it could be. Remember, you'll be taking a RISK if you buy the car. Can you handle that risk.... Be sure you answer yes or walk away.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

USED, AUCTION.......looks clean, price is right, engine is sound......expect a few minor issues i.e. saggin hood insulation....

BUY IT

Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
re hanging down: Nope. Someone's messed with it. Bear in mind that Ford did not build the car. Jaguar did. Sure, owned by Ford at the time but be wary of what you assume. (You're not making an *** outta me lol)

Very doubtful that a motor mount is bad. Think what else it could be. Remember, you'll be taking a RISK if you buy the car. Can you handle that risk.... Be sure you answer yes or walk away.
No clue what else it could be but I'm taking it for an extended test drive tonight. I know this is a high end piece hence I've been looking for them. If I really thought it was all Ford I wouldn't even look at it.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

The hood pad shrinks and tears out at the fasteners. A well known problem. I got mine replaced while under warranty.
Part #XR858049
List $364.04

This price is over a year old. My new replacement has held up fine for a year plus so maybe they changed the pad material ?

Quick Reply: 2005 Jaguar STR reliability concerns (possible purchase)