S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Jaguar STR reliability concerns (possible purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Mine's 6 years old and fine.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The hood pad shrinks and tears out at the fasteners. A well known problem. I got mine replaced while under warranty.
Part #XR858049
List $364.04

This price is over a year old. My new replacement has held up fine for a year plus so maybe they changed the pad material ?
Thanks for the tip. That is a bit pricey but you gotta pay to play.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

I drove the car and I noticed the headlights are not good. Carfax/autocheck states no accidents and it looks clean, but it was so bad it looked like I had 1 headlight on. My 02 car with stock xenons is 3x as good as these. Perhaps the projectors need to be re-aimed? Also I noticed a whining noise when I parked the car. Any PS issues on these cars? Otherwise this car is amazing I am in the process of negotiating a fair price for the car.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

There is a quick fix for the one headlight. We will help you with this. The whining noise could be the cooling fan, super charger, etc. Have the dealer look into and guarantee a fix for any issue you are suspicious of. Insist on a dealer cost three month warranty. The STR is all smiles from it's looks to it's beasty-ness.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
re hanging down: Nope. Someone's messed with it. Bear in mind that Ford did not build the car. Jaguar did. Sure, owned by Ford at the time but be wary of what you assume. (You're not making an *** outta me lol)

Very doubtful that a motor mount is bad. Think what else it could be. Remember, you'll be taking a RISK if you buy the car. Can you handle that risk.... Be sure you answer yes or walk away.
I've heard your quote before about walking away, and I did. I went with my gut, and my gut says keep looking. The STR is one heck of a car.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Smart man, i fell for a trap like this, when i got my jag, turns out the fuel system was shot, numerous leaks, i would fill up full, with is 60 litres i believe or close to it, and it would be gone in a day. But the dealer took care of it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

what was it that made you walk away?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
what was it that made you walk away?
Had non matching brand tires that IMO needed to be replaced (at least $800 right there), and after some quick research I felt the headlights needed some mechanical work. The headlight issue could be a quick fix, or an expensive one, but to see someone drive around with headlights literally aimed at the floor and not be concerned, concerns me. There were other personal issues in regards to the story I was told regarding the car that also influenced me. For example, I was told it was owned by his uncle, then I pay for a car fax it shows a REPO prior to this owner. Car fax shows no work done at a Jag Dealer, yet I was told later the belts, etc. have been done and when asked for proof said "it might be at home". There's more but that's enough for now. I do think the car is in good mechanical condition, someone will enjoy it; just not me.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
Smart man, i fell for a trap like this, when i got my jag, turns out the fuel system was shot, numerous leaks, i would fill up full, with is 60 litres i believe or close to it, and it would be gone in a day. But the dealer took care of it.
Sorry to hear that. No dealer here so I'd be SOL if I drive home and a month later the car breaks.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by slickrick
Had non matching brand tires that IMO needed to be replaced (at least $800 right there), and after some quick research I felt the headlights needed some mechanical work. The headlight issue could be a quick fix, or an expensive one, but to see someone drive around with headlights literally aimed at the floor and not be concerned, concerns me. There were other personal issues in regards to the story I was told regarding the car that also influenced me. For example, I was told it was owned by his uncle, then I pay for a car fax it shows a REPO prior to this owner. Car fax shows no work done at a Jag Dealer, yet I was told later the belts, etc. have been done and when asked for proof said "it might be at home". There's more but that's enough for now. I do think the car is in good mechanical condition, someone will enjoy it; just not me.
i can understand that, these cars need certain things. When people go into them, they fail to realize the cost of maintaining them. The headlights arent that big of a deal, you can aim them by hand and i think they actually do better when you do( my opinion of course) and the tire thing, your right about 800 is just about dead on. Might want to keep this in mind too, the factory wheels bend quite easily especially with potholes. I have replaced my 2 front wheels with the factory ones due to very slight bends, that no matter how hard i tried, would never quite balance themselves out. Once i did new the new ones, they came out almost perfect on the machine. Also aligning the vehicle is very important. Especially if see abnormal wear. Being that i was raised around cars and my family owns service centers, it made my life very easy for doing these things. Also the thermostat issue was a really easy fix too (especially on the STR's)

Old 06-21-2010, 03:11 PM

I learn more everyday on this forum...good tip on the wheels. I'm still looking for one. These are special cars.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

the dang hose under the supercharger leaks. There's 3 people on the forums with this problem. If yours does, it's probably close to a $1,000 repair. The whole supercharger assembly needs to be removed. I heard there was an updated part that we released. Maybe check the service history and see if it's been done.