S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S-Type idiosyncrasies

Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type idiosyncrasies

Hello All. My S-Type seems to be infected with some new gremlins causing some interesting side effects. A tone will sound as I'm driving.... completely random, and the Park Assist light on the overhead console will illuminate. Then it goes out. Then it does it again. Then for 2 days I never hear from it. Then on again. The steering wheel memory will work and then won't. From one start up to the next, I never know if the steering wheel will move or just sit there. (It's in AUTO mode). The next 2 may or may not belong here (I apologize if they don't). No matter how many times I choose LOGO for the display screen, it always defaults to the main menu, and there's nothing I can find that allows me to disable the door auto lock system. I move; they lock; I unlock. The door opens, then closes; they relock.... time after time. I've found cheats on the internet that show how to disable that feature, but none work on my car. My Ford has the same feature, but allowed the owner to disable it thru a sequence of key moves. At any rate, I look forward to hearing from other users who have more Jaguar knowledge than do I. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Regardless of the generation of S-Type, unrelated faults, especially electrical, point to a dying battery, or fault with the charging circuitry. Look for OBD codes in various subsystems that at first glance, make no sense to show up together.

There are multiple threads here where symptoms like yours pointed to the battery, or a short circuit that reduced charging voltage below 12.2.

I have an older Ford F-150, and some electronic systems would work intermittently...and it wound up being a battery that when disconnected, only measured 10.8v, indicating a dead cell.
10.8v was enough to weakly start the truck, but not enough to run a bunch of accessories well.

Last edited by Warspite; 06-18-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 06-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The park assist does tend to go off randomly sometimes; usually mine settles down once I've pulled away. Seems to me like condensation does it because it's always in the morning when mine does it. My steering wheel memory seems to be a little random too.
It always goes where it's supposed to when I hit the memory button though. Can't help you with the others - my logo seems to work OK (only selected it once, as a test) and I don;t know anything about disabling autolock (don't have the manual with me).