S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 3.0L vs 2005 STR

Old 05-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2005 3.0L vs 2005 STR

Hello again Folks !!...
I'm on th' Horns... of a Dilema... Monday I go look at a couple of S Types. One is a 2005 STR with 102,000 (do these cars turn into a rutabega when they turn 100,000 ) and the other is a 2005 3.0L with 71,000 miles. Both have Navigation. I may look at a 3rd, a 2003 STR, but no Nav. Anyhoo... I realize that the STR's have more spuds, but is the 3.0 a slouch? I'm sure the mileage would be better, but I don't want to be on the hiway and have it wheeze if I have to be aggressive with the throttle. Does Nav mean Premium audio? Anybody have an opinion??...
Thanks for the help
Fast Freddie

Old 05-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Test drive both before making your decision. I have a feeling you will be getting the R. As far as in turning into a rutabega thats really going to depend on how well it was maintained so look at that also. If it was well taken care of and the price is right the 102,000 miles wont be that big of a deal. I got a car off of my grandmother after I got out of high school that she took care of religiously and took it to 300128 miles before I got rid of it and it still ran perfectly fine. Had the original never been rebuilt engine. Cant say the same about the trans as my grandmother blew 2 of those (she had a habit of shifting to drive while coasting backwards still so trans and driveshafts would go). So like with any car its really going to depend on what your intent is with the S type and how well maintained the example you are looking at has been through. As with any car there are bad apples.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Thank you Vance580 for your reply. I'm sure the "R" will be more fun to drive, but I'm looking also for a nice ride with enough squirrels under the hood to get up a hill without sounding like the second comming...;>))) OK....again probably an "R". The last 6 banger I had was a 92 Jag sovereign. But I believe that was a 4.0L. I just want to not be underpowered.... Heheheeee....there we are again, probably an "R"
Thanks Again
Fred

Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It all comes down to the actual condition of the cars. I have an 01 3.0, and when we had an hour commute in the Ozarks, it gave us no troubles at all on a road that was the opposite of straight and level. Hardly ever shifted, and got great mileage.

Personally, go for the R.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by hafferf
Thank you Vance580 for your reply. I'm sure the "R" will be more fun to drive, but I'm looking also for a nice ride with enough squirrels under the hood to get up a hill without sounding like the second comming...;>))) OK....again probably an "R". The last 6 banger I had was a 92 Jag sovereign. But I believe that was a 4.0L. I just want to not be underpowered.... Heheheeee....there we are again, probably an "R"
Thanks Again
Fred
Had a 3.0 ..... It was probably the best performing v6 I've ever driven... Never complained when I got on it. But...because I was always getting on it to "make it go" like I drive, it was always working hard and returned some pretty dismal MPG numbers.. LOL my 5.7 Hemi gets better mileage for me... So, soon after getting mine the dealer gave me a 4.2 V8 car, Non-R as a loaner and I got the same MPG driving it, and didn't need to work it as hard.. I also had the privilege of driving an XF with the 385hp 5.0 and 6 speed ZF..Again same mileage over the week with a ton more fun!

Get a well maintained V8...You won't regret it... If you can, post up links to any ads for cars you are looking at... People here will give you brutally honest assesments....

Old 05-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Beware the "R" represents a significant step up in cost of "wear items," particularly brakes and tires. Not only part-costs, but all those "horsepowers and torques" up front are a wiley seductress enticing you to wear-out the next new set....

Before we bought the first S-type, we drove an 04 V-8. Admittedly, a short jaunt but did include highway merge from a dead-stop and varied other regimes. (that was actually my first-ever stint behind the wheel of a Jag) After trying the 3.0L, I honestly didn't notice any difference! Pretty-well persuaded at this point it was just the traction-control intervening more obtrusively on the V-8.

+1 to Jeff's comments, if you drive like him...

If your hair's not still on fire...you'll probably not find cause for complaint at the 6-cyl's performance. I see we have similar trucks (assuming you have the 5.4L and that Ford hasn't made tremendous gains in pwr/tq over 6 yrs) but I find the 6 cyl S-types "feel" like they have much greater pep than the pickup. No numbers to prove it, though.

Durability-wise, both "R" and 3.0L share some common problems even though the failed parts aren't identical - Coolant reservoir, radiator/thermostat hose assy, "the Lurch" (ok, xmsn IS identical)
Differences? 3.0L has the IMT O-ring leak against the "R's" "coolant hose under supercharger"...I think everyone other than Rick (JoycesJag) who has a raging one to have-a-go at the line would give the nod to the 6 cy. on that one!

In the end...get the one that fits you...but post pics!

(Jeff, glad to hear you are enjoying the Hemi)

Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

My 03 STR will return 30mpg or so doing 60mph, but provide more than enough oomph should you need to pass. Many parts are rarer/more expensive than the 3.0 though. Frankly I've never heard a single person say "whoa, that's way too much horsepower!" But many do say the opposite...

Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

aholbro1 is right on the money when he says there isn't much difference between the 3.0 and 4.0 power-wise. Frankly, they should have just stuck to building V6s and Rs, as the non-supercharged V8 isn't really an in-between.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I disagree

I've had Jags with both the 3.0 V6 and the 4.2 V8 NA. I sure could tell the difference - the 4.2 model was much quicker, and, got the same fuel economy.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi... I agreed with what Vance said.. its all depend on how the car got pampered.
I recommend taking it a drive... get a feel on what you like..
as far of V6 or STR... (I'm biased I own 05 STR)
but as far Navigation, after having the STR with navigation, i do feel i want to have a basic stereo.
As the Navigation based is not upgradeable (may cost you an arm.. plus legs.. since this is jaguar)
I m talking about speakers, subs.. amps... or if you want to add Ipod connection or even bluetooth.

So if i was in your shoes, probably try the 03 STR, compared it with the 05 STR

good luck

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM

Hahahaaaaa!!.... I now own a 2005 STR... What a screamer!!
I was used to the 4.0 in the XK8...this is definately an improvement. I just got home so I'll have pic's later...
Thank you all for your input and encouragement!!...
Drive On !!...

Fast Freddie

Old 05-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

Welcome to the STR club. Can't wait to see pics of that beast.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Congrats FF! Looking forward to seeing the pics. Best wishes with it.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll love the STR. The nav/alpine stereo is a good setup. Only down fall in my opinion is the lack of ipod integration. Jaguar sells a setup for around $500. But there is a good alternative, most stereo shops can do. They unplug the fm/am antenna, plug it into a box, then run the box to the fm/am antenna input on the headunit. From the box comes a wire to run most any mp3/ipod player, all you do is flip a switch, that any good stereo shop can hide so it is unseen and the input switches from the am/fm input in the box to your ipod, then flip the switch again and your head unit recieves am/fm normally. Usually around $200 installed. A good brand for this is the iSimple for any of those interested. Im probably having it put into my 05 STR next week. sound quality is great since it is hardwired instead of running thru frequency, and it also charges you r ipod.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Wheeeeeeh...

What a ride. I uploaded some pictures to the "Ol' HafferSnaffers" (old nickname at work) Garage... I neglected to do the interior... I'll do that in a couple of days. It's ( I need to figure out where the color codes are) Ivory Leather with (it looks like) stone accents. The wood is stained sort'a silver. One thing I need to do though... on the XK8 site, there was a fella that would run the vin, and give you a (.pdf) print out of all field services performed. It included the options on that particular vin. I've tried to get ahold of him through e-mail, but no luck. Anybody up to some suggestions??..

Thanks All

Fast Freddie

Old 05-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome to the STR club. Please no one take this as a statement to diminish any other Jaguar, but, once you've felt the power of the STR, it's hard to be complacent with anything less. Words of caution:

1. Don't let her seduce you to really hear her growl when pulling off from every light or even when you're already cruising at 80Mph. Doing so will decrease your bonus points at the local High Test Premium Gas Pump LOL.

2. As soon as you can, look to put ceramic brake pads all the way around. Otherwise, you could find yourself cleaning the rims very very frequently.

3. Kitty's like to be kept clean and maintained. Keep her bathed, reasonably full of fuel, and don't ignore checkups, for in doing so, you'll have a plethora of heart racing memories from the adrenaline pumping fun.

4. Resist getting up at 2am every day looking for a 3 mile stretch where there's minimal police involvement or pedestrian/residential interaction. Such strips just do something to you as you stomp your foot to the floor and hear that powerful supercharger whine as you're mashed convincingly into your seat.

I can't wait to see that lovely lady you've acquired. Enjoy

Old 05-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by hafferf
I need to figure out where the color codes are

on the XK8 site, there was a fella that would run the vin, and give you a (.pdf) print out of all field services performed. It included the options on that particular vin.
Codes are by the front door hinges. Note all labels as they're packed with data

Car details can be printed by any jag dealer and they seem to do it free if you ask nicely. Or you can email jag (the company - they don't own the dealers) via their web site.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the brake pads as mentioned above, OMG these things are terrible. Wash it go out for an hour long cruise and the silver wheels look graphite when you get home.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Congrats!! Looking forward to the pics, and hello from a fellow Oregonian!