S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to purchase super low mile 2003 S-Type 3.0 V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default About to purchase super low mile 2003 S-Type 3.0 V6

I have owned two Jaguars (XJ12 1994 and XJ6 1997). I am currently drive super low mile 2004 XJ8.

I spotted S-type with only 42,000 miles for sale locally. This to be my daughters first car. What should I carefully beside the basic inspection, particularly to S-type?

I am very mechanical incline and considered a fanatic when comes to maintenance. Both of ny XJ12 and XJ6 when sold, they were like new condition when both reached 100,000 miles.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

except of the normal things. ie oil service heft

Check all the rubber on the suspension, streering etc. Jaguar were a very green
company the rubber biodegrades after 10 years.
check the rear wishbones the bearings can be worn out. You can replace the bearings.

make sure that the expansion tank is not leaking (prone to failing due old age).

Check all the water pipes especially the turret (this little bit of plastic on the upper water pipe can fail).

If it is an automatic you should change the oil and filter now because ZF recommend that it should be done every 10 years or 60,000 miles.

I expect that more people will be here later.

Very nice car for your Daughter

Last edited by Ducmon; 04-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default Been there, Done that

Clearly, you have the skills and mindset to keep it in fine nick for her. Give Jon89's excellent Maint. Tips &tricks in the stickies a read. I believe there is also a buyer's guide in the "How To" stickies.

I'd recommend at least 2 yrs with it before your daughter goes off to college or you otherwise have to support it remotely from afar. The experience I have made is that it will be somewhat more cantankerous and troublesome than was your X300. Still, an excellent choice for her as it has DSC and many other systems to keep her out of trouble.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 316 Likes on 224 Posts

The interior plastics wear quickly, especially when exposed to heat & sunlight.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi
Check the sill, they can rot terrible, hidden by a painted plastic cover
its not down to a specific year, early ones and late ones, sills can just rot completely away, this would be my main worry
some can be like new, some not.
also check all the electrics work
cheers
Joe

Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 316 Likes on 224 Posts

Wouldn't that be mainly in cold markets, where the roads are salted in Winter? I don't think they need to salt the roads in Nashville, though I could be wrong. It's still a good thing to keep in mind if looking at a car from the frozen north, or a Euro import.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 PM

I will report back with photos once the deal goes through.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:30 AM

Forgot to mention look for any signs of water in the boot/Trunch

Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 AM

I purchased it for $5,100.00. it has 42,000 miles on a clock. I drove 850 miles from Fort Myers Florida back to Nashville, TN. It was a nice comfortable ride. The seat is a tag smaller when compared to my 2004 XJ8. The interior layout and control are almost identical to the XJ8. Its appeared that quality is a notch or two lower than the XJ8. The Jag is a rare low mile find that belonged to an owner that stored in his vacation home. I only found couple small scratches, no paint oxidation whatsoever, and the interior and exterior were like new condition. The headliner was professionally replaced. Owner did a complimentary oil change, air filter, and a full gas of tank for me when i picked the Jaguar up. I did see some engine oil leak accumulated on the bottom engine guard shield. I am not sure it resulted from oil leak during oil change of a gasket leak at the oil engine pan. I will do a full maintenance service before handed the Jaguar over to my daughter.

List to do.

New spark plugs
Transmission oil change and pan
Two belts
May be coolant hoses and coolant tank if there is any sign of aging.
Front rotor and pads.
Leather scotch guard.
Windshield wiper blade.
Air filter for AC system is there is one.
Install a permanent trickle charger.

Inspect all suspension arm controls and replace if necessary.

I will also install a double din stereo unit.

Any other maintenance that I failed to listed above?

I will post photos soon.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I don't believe you've mentioned what model year nor engine, yet. If 3.0L, and prior to MY07 (I think, 07 is when they started using the good ones, not sure,) you should renew the IMT O-rings.

The 3.0 only has one belt, not sure about the V-8's, but suspect the Supercharged version has more than one.

Check the shifter-linkage bolts underneath for security.

Make sure you have at least TWO keys, not one, and try them both in the door and boot locks to make sure they are not seized.

Run the climate control through all temp-settings on both sides to ensure the DCCV is operating properly.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I don't believe you've mentioned what model year nor engine, yet. If 3.0L, and prior to MY07 (I think, 07 is when they started using the good ones, not sure,) you should renew the IMT O-rings.

The 3.0 only has one belt, not sure about the V-8's, but suspect the Supercharged version has more than one.

Check the shifter-linkage bolts underneath for security.

Make sure you have at least TWO keys, not one, and try them both in the door and boot locks to make sure they are not seized.

Run the climate control through all temp-settings on both sides to ensure the DCCV is operating properly.
Sorry, it's a V6 3.0

Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 PM

I thought you said it was local. 850 miles is not just around the corner.

I would also treat your daughter to an elm 327 so that she can tell if there are any problems and show her how to use it with her smart phone.

Dont forget to grease the gas tank door and the trunk lock. If it has electric mirrors also make sure that they are lubicated as they can seize due to corrosion.

I wish my dad had bought me a jaguar when I was young.