S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air con query

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Air con query

My S-Type 2.7 Air con will not accept a charge as it turns out. Took her for a recharge and they drained my current gas and then found the car wouldn't accept a charge. I now have no aircon. Has anyone had this issue and know likely fix and cost? Many thanks, Steve

Old 08-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
Took her for a recharge and they drained my current gas and then found the car wouldn't accept a charge.

I'd suggest finding a better shop. I've never heard of an AC system that wouldn't "accept a charge".

I'm assuming (Danger! Danger!) they did a full vacuum evacuation first. With the system still under a strong vacuum, a canister of pressurized refrigerant is connected. Due to the strong pressure differential, the refrigerant should rush right in. As more refrigerant is introduced, the pressure differential decreases, so you have to start the engine and run the compressor to draw in the last amount. But initially, it's all done via pressure differential.

Two likely culprits:

1) Something is wrong with the shop's charging equipment, such as a stuck valve. If they can't figure that out, please try another shop.

2) The charging port on the car is at fault, perhaps allowing vacuum to flow out in one direction, but no refrigerant can travel back in. That's a very simple failure, as the charging port is very similar to the valve stem on a tire, and easily replaced. Once again, if they can't figure that out, please try another shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
scottjh9 (08-05-2019), SteveSheldon (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
I'd suggest finding a better shop. I've never heard of an AC system that wouldn't "accept a charge".

I'm assuming (Danger! Danger!) they did a full vacuum evacuation first. With the system still under a strong vacuum, a canister of pressurized refrigerant is connected. Due to the strong pressure differential, the refrigerant should rush right in. As more refrigerant is introduced, the pressure differential decreases, so you have to start the engine and run the compressor to draw in the last amount. But initially, it's all done via pressure differential.

Two likely culprits:

1) Something is wrong with the shop's charging equipment, such as a stuck valve. If they can't figure that out, please try another shop.

2) The charging port on the car is at fault, perhaps allowing vacuum to flow out in one direction, but no refrigerant can travel back in. That's a very simple failure, as the charging port is very similar to the valve stem on a tire, and easily replaced. Once again, if they can't figure that out, please try another shop.
Thankyou.. But yep they have drawn everything out and where I managed to get a refund I now have no aircon at all and the heater valve has always been a bit sluggish so getting warm to hot air.. Not happy sigh as it did have 500g out of 700g and was cool when higher revs at least sigh.. Will make some local enquiries tomorrow.. If nothing else its safe to work on now it has no gas at all sigh.. Thinking back a year ago I tried a self charge cannister and it refused to charge with the guage straight I to the red as soon as I hit the trigger so yep could well be the in valve that has failed

Old 08-05-2019, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,410 Posts

One more thought:

The service manifold is connected to the vehicle by quick-disconnect fittings. When fully seated, there's a pin that depresses the valve (vehicle side) to open it. I've noticed sometimes you have to fiddle with the fitting so it seats fully and opens the valve.

There seems to be a little play in this fitting, by design. On my pickup, for example, I have to use a small clamp to take up this slack so it seats reliably. When under a vacuum, the fitting pulls itself in just fine. But under pressure? It pushes away ever so slightly, just enough to close the valve. Sound familiar?

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (08-06-2019)