S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alignment Question

2003 Jaguar S-Type. I bought new "quieter" tires a couple weeks back - and they are great. However at that time, the tire installer told me I should have the car alignment checked soon, just as a precaution to keep the tires running longer and smoother. So - I had an alignment performed yesterday, and one of the wheels was out of alignment, which they corrected. My problem------------ on the way home from having the alignment performed, (after about three miles) a yellow message light and the message "DSC unavailable" came on. I wasn't sure at that point what it really meant, so I stopped, read my manual, and restarted the car. The yellow light and message "DSC unavailable" were no longer showing. I stopped at a grocery store on the way, and resumed my trip home and within a short distance, I got the same light and message. When I got home, I waited a while and took the car out again, this time for several miles, including the freeway, and still no light or message. Being a skeptic, before I went to bed, I drove the Jag again - only to have the yellow light and message come on after about a 4 block drive. Today, I have driven over 30 miles around the city on several trips, with no light or message showing up. My questions - should I NOT have had an alignment? Can the computer reset itself so that it now accepts the changes made during the alignment? Is this a "normal type situation - or has anyone else experienced it? Appreciate any input. BTW, I called the Jag Dealer and they told me if the yellow light and message were not staying on, there was no problem. Just curious about the cause and cure for this reaction.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Alignment Question

First off...
If your original tires that you replaced had nothing wrong other than normal wear and age....you fell for the oldest trick....
On the other hand, if the tires you replaced were wearing out on the sides, or had cupped edges..you may have needed the alignment....
so it depends...

As for the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) light coming on right after the alignment may be just a coincidence
, or one or two of your tires have low air pressure...The alignment has nothing to do with that system...so I would check tire pressure and or maybe a loose busted wheel sensor.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: racerx82

First off...
If your original tires that you replaced had nothing wrong other than normal wear and age....you fell for the oldest trick....
On the other hand, if the tires you replaced were wearing out on the sides, or had cupped edges..you may have needed the alignment....
so it depends...

As for the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) light coming on right after the alignment may be just a coincidence
, or one or two of your tires have low air pressure...The alignment has nothing to do with that system...so I would check tire pressure and or maybe a loose busted wheel sensor.
Thanks for response - appreciate it. As to replacement of the tires,I replaced them for noise rather than this problem- see"2003 S-Type Road Noise" thread just next to this one.

The point about air pressure is a good one - when I had the tires installed, I found they had over-inflated them to around 35PSI I let airout down to 31PSI, per the door panel. However, they must have been hot when I did this. Check of them today indicated only about 28 PSI - so I aired them to 31PSI. However, the yellow light and message have not come on for two days now, so maybe the computer just reset or it was just a coincidence. Anyway, thanks.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I will allways get an alignment when ever I buy a used car or a new set of tires. It's just a cheap precaution. So many times you don't feel it in the steering wheel but you look and the insides of your tires are worn out and then it's too late, but that's just me.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with badmojo, cos the wear thing on the inside actully happem to my mum a while back, brand new tires worn down to the metal **** inside in 2 months, cost $700 just to replace them. And it just happend to be all 4 tires getting worn down, i was surprised how the old set of tires didnt really have any irregular inner wear

Old 06-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

hey ..

Old 07-03-2007, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: jag_genius

hey john... if i were you id check the size .. make sure all the tires are the same size... if s type R the rears are bigger then the front... if ok ... then id get the codes read..
It's not type R - and the tires are all the same - I just had them installed. Thanks anyway.