S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Maintenance Information

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

This forum must go by the assumption that everyone has already rebuilt their engine, pull out the transmission and rebuilt it, and replaced all the wire harnesses throughout.
Harsh, but to a newbie might seem that way until you take the time to read all that's posted about a particular subject.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nzane in the membrane performance restriction

LOL,

the response to my ired comment on "can't get a straight answer from the peanut gallery" was as expected - still no answer!

For those with clearer thinking it is simply to say there are no spark plug wires. The coils connect directly to the spark plug via spark plug boot. Given that fact, you should use gloves and a pure alcohol fluid to clean you electrical connections to avoid ancient electrical point gap issues associated with human oils that burn into varnish then carbon tracks, then fouling events.

Put new plugs, cleaned the surfaces of the coils, found a shorted wire (driver side closest to the fire wall), soldered the wire and heat shrunk the connection, installed a K&N filter system. Purrs like a kitten now and miss seeing that performance restriction msg.

All one needs is a six pack of beer. And a Luke warm IQ to avoid having to fork out the big $$$ for a p r o f e s s I o n a l solution. I hope this helps our novices in their search for straight answers in the future. Oh, bought online a repair manual that was all verbose and only few diagrams - probably written by some professional? I'never complain about those silly chitons manuals again!

any recommendations on manuals under 200 dollars? Or should I just tear apart my jag xj8 and write one?

Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Answer to what? Did you ask a question somewhere?

For the manual go to the "How To" section and download JTIS cost $0.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by nzane
LOL,

the response to my ired comment on "can't get a straight answer from the peanut gallery" was as expected - still no answer!

any recommendations on manuals under 200 dollars? Or should I just tear apart my jag xj8 and write one?

Hmmmm... can't even figure out that he's in the S-Type section...

Sorry, but I am starting to feel a way to get banned from here..............

I'm having Daniel flashbacks....

MUST... STOP...FROM.... FLAMING... FROM...KEYBOARD.....

Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

For those with clearer thinking it is simply to say there are no spark plug wires. The coils connect directly to the spark plug via spark plug boot. Given that fact, you should use gloves and a pure alcohol fluid to clean you electrical connections to avoid ancient electrical point gap issues associated with human oils that burn into varnish then carbon tracks, then fouling events.
Please tell me you used "tune up" grease on the plug to boot connection and anti-seize on the plug threads... prolly not..

Also, please point to a reliable resource that states the oil from your hands will cause a short in a coil or any other electrical connection for that matter...LOL... that is a good one!

BTW, the only "oil" issue from human hands would be on Halogen light bulbs. Not underhood electrical connections...

Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Or should I just tear apart my jag xj8 and write one?
Yes please. I think that would be very entertaining. Please post lots of pics too.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by JOsworth:
I'm having Daniel flashbacks....
At first, I didn't know what that meant, but I sure do now!!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Could be Daniel's brother. XJ8, oh what a ....

Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Robinb
At first, I didn't know what that meant, but I sure do now!!
If you didn't do a complete search, here it is for entertaining reading...

Those were the good 'ol days.... LOL

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Search Results

Old 09-26-2012, 12:14 PM

I did do a complete search - was glued to my computer screen for an hour or two.

Really good entertainment, took the exchange of ideas to a new, unpalatable level, and certainly defined the line where contributions to the forum were not acceptable and did more harm than good.

JOsworth for President....

Old 09-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
I did do a complete search - was glued to my computer screen for an hour or two.

Really good entertainment, took the exchange of ideas to a new, unpalatable level, and certainly defined the line where contributions to the forum were not acceptable and did more harm than good.

JOsworth for President....
Yup- I think Daniel was one of the first to respond to my earliest posts here. I remember wondering what kind of site I had stumbled across.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I guess the bags are packed now Mikey?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM

We're actually in a hotel about 5 KM from the new house. All the paperwork was signed earlier today and the money transfer will take place at the start of the business day tomorrow. Should have the keys by noon, the appliance guy shows up at two. Hopefully we'll get the boat moved up here in time to take a tour of the lake at the peak of leaf season. We brought the Corvette up this trip, the motorcycles are coming in the moving truck and the S-type will be brought up next week. My head is spinning.

Thanks for asking

Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Boy oh boy, reminiscing about the ole days here.... Its been along time since I have seen a thread hijacked so bad!

My kind of man Mikey, get the keys to a new house and what do you think about, putting the boat in the water first thing. Cheers!!!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XJ8 - 1999, not an stye, routine maintenance topic caught my eye, I too have been looking and it seems as though the indexing for topics is way out of my understanding. I belong to cadillac, dodge and linclon forums - those do not seem to have the problems I have with this one. My responses were in respect to the original post here. I am not looking for self edification but for real help and was quite frustrated. I will post in the XJ8 forum for how to change spark plugs with pictures and all the details. I write SOPs for medium to large scale complex networks and expect to get straight answers, given that computer search engines should be evolving and not de-evolving

Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If you only want rather restricted search results, and as others have hardly ever raised this I think you're a little unusual, just use Advanced Search and select what you want.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Please take the advice offered above. Put dielectric grease (Tune Up Grease) on the spark plug boots. Put a small amount of anti-size on the spark plug threads too. With Aluminum heads the steel threads can stick fairly easy.

The oil on your hands has nothing to do with anything. No point in using alcohol to clean anything.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Please take the advice offered above. Put dielectric grease (Tune Up Grease) on the spark plug boots. Put a small amount of anti-size on the spark plug threads too. With Aluminum heads the steel threads can stick fairly easy.

The oil on your hands has nothing to do with anything. No point in using alcohol to clean anything.
Oh, I don't know, the odd gargle with a Pure Single Malt has it's attractions. LOL

Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by tbird6

Yup....

Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Boy oh boy, reminiscing about the ole days here.... Its been along time since I have seen a thread hijacked so bad!

My kind of man Mikey, get the keys to a new house and what do you think about, putting the boat in the water first thing. Cheers!!!
Thanks for all the best wishes and sorry for the hijack. Glad to see we're back on topic.

Originally Posted by Translator
Oh, I don't know, the odd gargle with a Pure Single Malt has it's attractions. LOL
On the other hand, even more glad to see we're on one of my favourite diversions.