Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth and the S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Bluetooth and the S-Type

I have a 2005 S-Type with JaguarVoice.

When I look at the Jaguar site to find a qualified bluetooth phone, the units that are there for an S-Type are no longer available through my provider. I note that for the S-Type, there are no Motorola phones available.

This leads me to wonder whether a Bluetooth phone that works in another model of Jaguar would work with the S-Type. Does anyone know?

Eric

Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Our 2005 S-Type's Bluetooth feature works with my wife's Blackberry Curve phone (which she purchased in September 2008) and her service is through Verizon Wireless. I was surprised that it actually worked since the car was built in 2005 and many phones have come and gone since then, but it has always worked perfectly for her and she's very happy with it. I think you'll just have to experiment with different phones to see what works and what doesn't. I know that's a hassle, though. Good luck....

Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Bluetooth is an open wireless protocol for exchanging data over short distances from fixed and mobile devices, creating personal area networks (PANs). It was originally conceived as a wireless alternative to RS232 data cables. It can connect several devices, overcoming problems of synchronization.

Technically any bluetooth capable phone should work...

Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Notice how searanch says “should work”. I think the only reason Jaguar put out an Aproved Phone List is so that if your phone happened to not work with their system they could say “Well it’s not on the list.”

I have a Samsung Sync, which is not on the list. I use its Bluetooth connection in my STR and have only had a single problem occur a couple times. On rare occasion I will press the phone button on the steering wheel to disconnect a call and the call will end but the touch display still shows the call active and the stereo will not unmute. To correct this I have to disable the Bluetooth connection on my phone and make and end a call with it. Then I have to reconnect the Bluetooth function and try to place a call from my phone. This usually cancels out the locked up call and things start working properly.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:12 PM

I realize that Bluetooth is a standard. I was just sort of hoping that Jaguar would have a current list of phones that in fact met the standard....not just claim to be Bluetooth.

I've got a Palm Treo. The phonebook is inaccessible from the car. You'd think a high-end device would adhere to Bluetooth standards. Nope. In the other car we have a Parrot h/f unit. The Palm won't stay paired with that unless it is powered through the cigarette lighter.

My wife is going to be taking the Jaguar to visit her Mother. I just was hoping that we could turn to a list and from that, pick a winner.

Candidly, I've thought long and hard about just throwing the Palm unit out the window. It's a major PITA. Won't have another.

Eric

Old 04-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg561
I have an 03 STR and I cant seem to find anything in my manual on how to pair my new Treo and my phone system in the car. When I hit Phone button on the display it says no phone fitted. Is there a process asid from turning your blutooth on?
Greg.

Look at red5's reply in the handset in use thread.
He documents the exact format that you must follow.
I did this with my STR when we bought it and with some frustration it did work ok with our new blackberry.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 AM

I heard from Jaguar. Any phone that is "approved" for a "2007 XJ" will work with my card. Not certain why the year was given but....yipee. Now I have more choices.

Eric

Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg561
I have an 03 STR and I cant seem to find anything in my manual on how to pair my new Treo and my phone system in the car. When I hit Phone button on the display it says no phone fitted. Is there a process asid from turning your blutooth on?
The 03 STR does not come fitted with blue tooth which is why ya see the no phone fitted message. Jaguar has a kit that can be fitted which, as I recall, is not cheap but does provide full functionality.

http://www.jaguartechinfo.com/extfre...et_phne_oe.pdf

Last edited by searanch; 04-24-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: link added for bluetooth fitting...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

No S-Type has the phone as "standard". It is a add on option that came in some cars, and the dealer added to others. Yea, I know, why put a phone button on the stereo when it isn't standard. Anytime someone rides in mine for the first time I get the "hey cool, you have the phone built into the stereo" followed by my, "well no, I have to add that for it to work"