Sponsored by:

Boot lip spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
Default Boot lip spoiler.

Has anyone else done this modification?

I've just ordered a plain boot lip spoiler with tapered ends and colour matched paint. The boot seems unfinished without a small lip spoiler.
Its a stick on, not a bolt on.
I've used body moulding tape a lot over the years and if its applied correctly it works very well.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Why ?

Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine came as a factory fitted option. It is way to small to have any effect, purely cosmetic...

1+ on why?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

I agree the factory lip spoiler will do very little or any thing for downforce or streemlining ,
In fact it should halm downforce and create more vortex behind the car , costing fuel to drag that air along , but some people like the rounded ford torus looking back end , some prefer the thunderbird nascar looking lip on the tail , I'm the later and would also add one if mine came without it , I understand the need for improvement over a bare stock tail in the s Type , guess I was lucky the STR just has one ,

Old 01-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

OP, look at the links in post #2 in the below link. It has 2 links, one to my garage (pictures of Joyces Jag) and our aftermarket boot spoiler that I purchased off ebay. Secondly is a brief description of how I went about attaching it.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...spoiler-56277/

Originally Posted by ZenFly
Why ?
Originally Posted by Donna
1+ on why?
Why because the 3.0's do not come with one. I have it purely for cosmetics.....I like it!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-13-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

I've seen these run for as little as $75 and up to $200. Even more, if attached to a ST-R where it was standard. I'm for it, along with replica "R" badges (about $8 apiece on EBay). A meaner looking cat, indeed.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
OP, look at the links in post #2 in the below link. It has 2 links, one to my garage (pictures of Joyces Jag) and our aftermarket boot spoiler that I purchased off ebay. Secondly is a brief description of how I went about attaching it.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...spoiler-56277/

Why because the 3.0's do not come with one. I have it purely for cosmetics.....I like it!

Thanks very much for the useful link.
Yeah same for me, the boot doesn't look finished without a small lip spoiler.
Its about cosmetics and in some way paying homage to the STR.

The other reason is that soon after I had the car someone put two small dents on the boot lip right above the locking mechanism. It may have been a local moron thinking he could ping the boot lid by hitting it hard with something. I really don't know, just guessing.
So the boot spoiler will mask those dents.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Warspite
I've seen these run for as little as $75 and up to $200. Even more, if attached to a ST-R where it was standard. I'm for it, along with replica "R" badges (about $8 apiece on EBay). A meaner looking cat, indeed.

Yeah I think it will enhance the look of my V6, but I'm not going to put a replica R badge on. For me that's a step too far and it would attract the wrong kind of attention.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

A little story about streamlining and wind resistance.

A bike mate has a Turbocharged Suzuki B.King. Its a physically big bike and 1300cc 4 cylinder as standard. It has no fairings and wide flat handlebars.
So very little streamlining in other words.
He wanted to join the 200mph club on his turbo B.king and wind resistance was an issue due to the bikes wind profile, but also because my mate is 6 foot 7" tall. and built like a

Because of the poor wind profile and no matter how much he tried he couldn't make himself small enough. The result was him dialing in so much power on the throttle to overcome the wind resistance, that when the revs reached a certain mark the back wheel started spinning up ! Breakout in other words.
So he was smoking the back tyre from 160 mph up to just under 200mph.
The more power he dialed in, the more the back wheel spun up. No matter how much he tried this was his best shot: ....199.6 mph and he didn't make the 200 club.

Bikes get a little bit scary for the uninitiated above 150 mph even with a full fairing and your head, elbows and shoulders tucked in.
But spinning up the back wheel on a naked bike from 160 and pushing it harder and harder up to 200 on a limited length track is borderline crazy man stuff.

I am delighted to say the following year he cracked it ! 209.1 mph on a naked (unfaired) bike. Massive respect to the guy.
He achieved this by stretching the wheelbase slightly and raising the power to 550 bhp measured at the back wheel.

I am used to 200 mph hyperbikes and if you have enough power the aerodynamics are less of an issue as long as you can hold on

Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

The spoiler arrived last week ! That's a fast turnaround coming from Hong Kong.
The colour is correct LHK "quartz grey" and it looks great.
But I will have to wait for warmer weather before fitting.
Its far too cold outdoors and I don't have a wide enough access to the garage which is bikes only.
Cost of spoiler including postage and body tape fixing was £36-00
Photo's to follow later on, but it will have to wait maybe a few weeks until the weather improves.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member

An update on the boot lip spoiler.

I waited until the better weather before fitting it which is basically with strong body moulding tape that comes ready attached to the spoiler and it is strong tape ! I wiped over the boot lip using alcohol wipes bought online to make sure of a good bond.

The end result which I am very pleased with.

Attached Thumbnails Boot lip spoiler.-spoiler-2.jpg   Boot lip spoiler.-spoiler-3.jpg  
Old 04-01-2017, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa

I waited until the better weather before fitting it which is basically with strong body moulding tape that comes ready attached to the spoiler and it is strong tape ! I wiped over the boot lip using alcohol wipes bought online to make sure of a good bond.

Looks real nice mate , but I noticed how low your tail pipes hang ,
Mine came back from the exhaust shop looking like that once ,
So I shot back there to show them ,what I thort was a mistake ,
And it turned out the rubber mounts were hanging and needed to be flipped upwards so the muffler mount was above the body mount , in which corrected the height .
Correct me if I'm wrong but yours looks to be hanging too !

The following users liked this post:
Busa (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Datsports
Looks real nice mate , but I noticed how low your tail pipes hang ,
Mine came back from the exhaust shop looking like that once ,
So I shot back there to show them ,what I thort was a mistake ,
And it turned out the rubber mounts were hanging and needed to be flipped upwards so the muffler mount was above the body mount , in which corrected the height .
Correct me if I'm wrong but yours looks to be hanging too !
Ah, thanks mate.
Yeah I've not been happy with the sag on the pipes since I bought the car, it just doesn't look right and I think its sagged some more.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Received 174 Likes on 135 Posts

I waited until the better weather before fitting.
That is really nice looking. Hmmm Maybe I should do this too.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davidladewig
That is really nice looking. Hmmm Maybe I should do this too.
Thank you.
It is subtle and just finishes off the boot nicely.
This is where I ordered mine from and I provided the Jaguar paint code with my order for colour matched which it certainly is. I also paid extra for the tapered ends, I didn't want square or rounded ends.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Looking good! Now all you need are chrome mirror covers and some stainless steel window treatments .

Old 04-03-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Looking good! Now all you need are chrome mirror covers and some stainless steel window treatments .
Thanks for the positive comments.
Although I'm not sold on the chrome mirror covers, the window trims are starting to fog on mine and it doesn't look good.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Park next to a Lincoln Continental, c. 1990s and you can't tell them apart. I'm adding my lip as soon as i get detailed.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Tastefully done! Good Show! Looks like it shipped new with the car as a dealer option. I went with the chrome mirror covers, since they cover a few small chips. I also went with the chrome headlight surrounds and chrome strips over the grey grille. I'm pleased with those. Replacement wheels next for me. 2 are not true, so they get immediate attention before I get a spoiler.

Last edited by Warspite; 04-07-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 313 Likes on 222 Posts

I've got to say that I'm not a fan of the look, as it accentuates the truncated rear, which I've never liked about the reborn S-Type. It may be better for the aerodynamics, though in that regard I think a slightly larger one would be more effective. But I prefer the long gentle slope of the original S-Type's backside, & I wish it had been more incorporated into the millennium car's design. But it's not my car. & this is just my opinion, which means little anyway. & I think the job's been done well. Like it rolled out of Brown's Lane that way. So it's far from being frankenjagged. & actually adds to the look the designers were aiming for, IMO
BTW I am a bit biassed about the new S-Type's bum, as it's very similar to the Australian Ford Falcon (the AU model) that was released around the same time (1999), & was roundly criticised for it's "leading edge" look, & was the most disastrously polarising model that Ford had released since the Edsel (& was almost as bad a seller in the showrooms too). So I hate it when my car gets mistaken for one of those atrocities, which happens often, as it's most often followed by the comment "What'd ya buy one of those for?). Mind you, when they realise it's a Jaguar, I often still get the second comment too.

Last edited by scatcat; 04-08-2017 at 01:45 PM.