S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken lug nut? Here's the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken lug nut: hole saw method works- with right hole saw type, and drill

I had three lug nuts break off at the base and one that the cover came off and left the full length of the solid nut piece behind. I used a 19mm-3/4" hole saw to get them off. took less than 1/2 hour to do all three - even the one that only the cover came off - much to my surprise and delight! my suspicion is that I used a heavy drill (1/2 inch corded AC w/ hammer capability NOT battery) and a carbide-tipped hole saw blade. the blade I used was a Milwaukee model 49-56-0753 I got from Home Depot [Note: this is an online order item they don't carry them in the stores]. It is carbide-tipped and designed for cutting hard stuff other than glass etc (see pic below). Thinking these things would burn up I got three of the saw blades. However, I did all three nuts with one saw! And without any oil just occasional puff of compressed air to clear accumulated chips. the saw blade will need a Milwaukee 49-56-7010 3/8" shank to get it onto your drill. I used the shank without the pilot bit included (not needed; comes out with hex screw) with it; no pilot holes; saw teeth sank in so fast and drill was fast and powerful enough that saw didn't have a chance to run around on the nut even with no pilot bit. also the drill had side support handle (at 90 degree to drill body) so right hand applied pressure and operated drill speed on the handle switch while left hand, on the handle, kept bit in place. I was absolutely ecstatic to get these nuts off so quickly. And not a scratch or other damage (e.g. heat impact) to the wheel and no damage to studs. BTW once the wheel was off the residual piece of the old nut (i.e. the threaded bit around which the saw cut) came off very easily -maybe not using oil (heat generated?) or the vibration of the bit on the left-behind bit loosed whatever it was that seized the nut in the first place leading to the break... don't know don't care, the left behind piece came off easy, too, so I was a very happy guy.

I provide a pic of the saw blade below. I can post pics of removed nuts if anyone wants to see them (I kept them as "trophies" of this successful conquest...); just ask.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement Stud

Can anyone share more information on the replacement stud. I saw something about Lincoln ls. Is there a particular year to look for or a Dorman product number?

Thanks