S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can not apply parking brake

Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can not apply parking brake

I just got a 2007 S type and the next day the info center reads cannot apply parking brake. any ideals..Jim

Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Worth a try?

Electronic Park Brake (EPB)
Re-Calibration Procedure
2003 MY-ON
S-TYPE
M44998-ON

Issue:
On some 2003 MY-on S-TYPE vehicles, a customer may report a concern of premature
parking brake pad wear or the brakes binding. This condition can result if the electronic
park brake (EPB) system is not re-calibrated after the removal of the rear brake callipers
to replace the brake pads.
Action:
Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the calibration
procedure detailed in this bulletin.
1. Reset the EB module:
a. Switch off the ignition.
b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. For additional information, refer to STYPE
Workshop Manual Section 414-01.
c. Reconnect the battery.
2. Start the engine.
3. Firmly apply and release the foot brake five times.
4. Confirm that the message ˜NOT CALIBRATED" or ˜APPLY FOOT AND PARK
BRAKE" is displayed on the instrument cluster message centre. This indicates that
the parking brake is in calibration mode.
5. Lightly press the foot brake pedal.
6. Apply the parking brake by using the EB switch.
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Release the foot brake.
9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument
pack and that the ˜NOT CALIBRATED" message is no longer displayed in the
message centre.
10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

Or maybe there is a fault with the actuator.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Wow thanks for that info. Never knew that. I actually didn't do that when I did my back brakes. Wonder if you can just do it whenever?

George

Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Jim

Old 03-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That dammned electric parking brake AGAIN! I'll bet Jaguar people wished they'd stuck with the old-fashioned but fault-free lever handle and button. I daren't use it for fear it will jam on again.
Leedsman.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Yep, we would all be far better off without the moronic electronic parking brake system. Just something else to screw up and require expensive repairs. Plus, no aftermarket replacement pads available....

Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Just a quick reminder.... The R is the only one where there are separate pads for the parking brake. On the standard cars the parking brake is integrated with the rear brakes... And I too did my rear brakes without calibrating the parking brake. Good thing I pumped up the brakes before I turned on the car and re-activated the parking brake. Next time I'll know better...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Good point. I should have mentioned that....

Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Do you have a choice on whether you use the parking brake or not on a manual trans car?

People talk like oh I never use it. I wonder if they realize that it activates every time the car goes into park, or the engine is off...

George

Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

On my 2004 STR..... Not when you go into park. Not even on engine off. When removing the key, yes - unless you hold its control down.

(You can manually engage it by pulling the control up, even when moving.)

Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
On my 2004 STR..... Not when you go into park. Not even on engine off. When removing the key, yes - unless you hold its control down.

(You can manually engage it by pulling the control up, even when moving.)
Maybe that's it. But I know the car parked will automatically set the parking brake when unattended.

I know about the manual disengagement (holding down while turning key off), and the ability to set it...
I was just stating this for the people who don't think they use their parking brake ever, cause they don't set it..

George

Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

On another note, I don't get how STR's wear rear emergency brake pads? In theory the car NEVER has the e-brake on, (unless someone set the brake once it came off).

Are all these pads wearing because of the fact that the parking brake modules are failing and keeping the brakes on when they are supposed to be off?

George

Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think it's usually the module but rather the cable/caliper/etc (maybe even the motor) which leave the pads dragging on the rotor. A how-to maintain these (as in disassemble, grease, or whatever is needed) would be great.

Anyone?

I reckon the stalling motor can take the module out - well, seems fairly likely.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think it's usually the module but rather the cable/caliper/etc (maybe even the motor) which leave the pads dragging on the rotor. A how-to maintain these (as in disassemble, grease, or whatever is needed) would be great.

Anyone?

I reckon the stalling motor can take the module out - well, seems fairly likely.
A stalling motor could def show the module a dead short...

My question is I wonder how badly this happens with our non STR's that are actually using the rear brake pads to apply the e-brake. (and potentially dragging them along).

George

Old 03-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Do non-STR rear pads wear faster than would be expected? In previous cars my rear pads & rotors lasted far, far longer than the fronts.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Do non-STR rear pads wear faster than would be expected? In previous cars my rear pads & rotors lasted far, far longer than the fronts.
So far mine are wearing as expected... Fronts much faster than the rear. I only changed the rears because I was switching to a low dust performance pad and drilled/slotted rotors so I wanted all four to match.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM

If you have the message “can’t apply parking brake” then I wouldn’t think you will be able to re-calibrate the EPB because it will be rendered inoperable. I think this error message is also normally accompanied by an audible warning.

The fault finding procedure I would try is something like this:

1. Check the EPB fuse which is number F35 in the luggage compartment fuse box.
2. If that’s OK its worth checking the connectors to the EPB Module are seated correctly. The module is located behind the boot lining on the right hand side, just remove the connectors and re-insert again until they click in position.
3. If all this fails to clear the error and you feel brave you can check the motor function by removing connectors from the module and directly attaching wires from the battery to the two thickest wires in the left hand connector, reverse the connections to ensure the motor winds in both directions. If the motor does not actuate then the motor is dead, if the motor winds then it’s possibly the module.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to Norri and others on this forum for saving me so much headache (and money). Battery died on my 04 SType today and after replacing it I had the "Apply Park Brake" up in the warning screen. Had no clue. Tried a bunch of things and was almost ready to buy another park brake module when I ran a search on the Jag forum and came up with this life saver. Followed directions. Problem gone. I get a lot of good advice here. Makes owning my Jag more affordable and ultimately more funnable. Many Thanks.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, Norri's prety sharp. Funny thing how an AMERICAN website is the best for BRITISH car problems!
Leedsman.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Just so you know: the details are on the .co.uk site, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can not apply parking brake