S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dosent liek hills and im moving where there are nothing but hills please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission fluid change

2001 s-type 4.0
72,000 miles
My car would hesitate when going up hills at approx 45mph (1500 rpm) if I eased on the throttle instead of putting my foot in it and causing it to downshift.
It would also feel like it was missing when sitting at a red light and idling.
These symptoms only occurred when the car was fully warmed up, maybe after 20 minutes of driving or more. The car didn't seem to feel like it was missing if I slipped it into neutral so I thought it was the gearbox causing the problems.
I decided to have the tranny fluid changed. I called the local Ford dealer because I knew they would be able to service my tranny cheaper & likely better than Jaguar. They gave me a price of $160 for fluid drain and refill or $195 if I wanted the pan removed and cleaned and tranny filter replaced.
So I went for the $195 deal. A drain & fill changes about half of your fluid (about 4 liters) because it doesn't drain the torque converter. Doing it a second time would be recommended to get more fresh fluid in.
Anyway, the problem is improved by at least 90%. I have to try my best to get the car to hesitate now. If i go up a hill very slowly and let the speed drop to 40mph it will hesitate very slightly, but who drives like that.
I think a second drain and fill might totally cure it but the problem really is no longer an issue in everyday driving.

Cheers.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaguarxk
2001 s-type 4.0
72,000 miles
My car would hesitate when going up hills at approx 45mph (1500 rpm) if I eased on the throttle instead of putting my foot in it and causing it to downshift.
It would also feel like it was missing when sitting at a red light and idling.
These symptoms only occurred when the car was fully warmed up, maybe after 20 minutes of driving or more. The car didn't seem to feel like it was missing if I slipped it into neutral so I thought it was the gearbox causing the problems.
I decided to have the tranny fluid changed. I called the local Ford dealer because I knew they would be able to service my tranny cheaper & likely better than Jaguar. They gave me a price of $160 for fluid drain and refill or $195 if I wanted the pan removed and cleaned and tranny filter replaced.
So I went for the $195 deal. A drain & fill changes about half of your fluid (about 4 liters) because it doesn't drain the torque converter. Doing it a second time would be recommended to get more fresh fluid in.
Anyway, the problem is improved by at least 90%. I have to try my best to get the car to hesitate now. If i go up a hill very slowly and let the speed drop to 40mph it will hesitate very slightly, but who drives like that.
I think a second drain and fill might totally cure it but the problem really is no longer an issue in everyday driving.

Cheers.
Your the second person to say this However I can never get Jaguar to answer the damn phone. So unprofessional of them. I have inquired about this before. I was told it was a sealed unit they dont go in and it will just need to be replaced because it shouldn't need to be flushed. I will call ford see if I can reach them. or Either a transmission shop.

Right now im getting the Fuel filter changed as it should I will still get the plugs changed. While I was at Jaguar 1 guy told me He wouldn't change the coils unless they go bad. He goes and call the service guy I talked to and asked what entails of the Tune-up he said nothing major just plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Well I was told something different and it came up to $1400.