S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console latch on STR gave, how do I force open w/o damaging car?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Center console latch on STR gave, how do I force open w/o damaging car?

The center console cover latch seems to have broken. When I pull the latch handle, it feels slightly limp, and only allows for me to slide the cover back to expose cup holders, or slide it back to its forward position. I plan on repairing this when I get around to it, but for now I need a lot of the things I have inside my center console. The man in me just wants to tear it open with force and strength, but at my age (35 y.o.) my brain is actually starting to consider consequences and is stopping me from doing so so I do not cause any $$$ and unnecessary damage to my car's interior.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge as to how to open the broken center console cover without breaking anything else? Or can one of you guys open up your center console and just kind of think and look for a way that it could be opened up without the assistance of the latch handle? Thanks everyone!

Old 10-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

UP:

I just looked at mine. There are two latches on either side of the lid that fit into indentations on the inside of the cubby box wen you slide the lid back to reveal the cupholders. If you remove the cupholders (pull straight upwards) you there will be enough space for you can shine a flash light into box and look at the underside of the lid. I think that , using a long thin screw driver, you can get the one of the latches to retract, which does both at once. The lid should then open.

The following users liked this post:
Under Pressure (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 PM

andy303 - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Yes your idea worked! I was able to open my center console up and get my belongings from the inside. While I had it open, I tried to figure out how I can fix all of this but I do not have much time today so I just shut it for now to look at later. But yea, I used a long screw driver like you said to get in there. Its hard to see but its about three inches behind where the cup holders are. I had to use a bit of force and I could only do one side at a time. So I would pry one side where the latch was, then I would stick my finger in the gap to keep it open, then I repeated on the other side.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad I could help! I am new to these beautiful cars and this forum has been a HUGE help in getting me up to speed on the fundamentals. I don't have much experience with these modern Jags, so I am happy to contribute where I can to the "cause".

Old 10-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

How much is the new latch? Guess I'll add this to the mandatory "$900 75K Bacardi per-emptive strike" list...

Old 10-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
How much is the new latch? Guess I'll add this to the mandatory "$900 75K Bacardi per-emptive strike" list...
I won't know until I have time to remember to call Jaguar dealership next week. Problem is, when I get to work its a non-stop rollercoaster til I leave for the day so it may take til late next week before I remember to call them for a price. But I will post a price after they quote me one.

Last edited by Under Pressure; 10-30-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Pressure
I won't know until I have time to remember to call Jaguar dealership next week. Problem is, when I get to work its a non-stop rollercoaster til I leave for the day so it may take til late next week before I remember to call them for a price. But I will post a price after they quote me one.
I'm an OSPRG or "only suckers pay retail guy" and Nelley Jag of Roswell GA, who are a forum sponsor offer the lowest prices I've found...By all means, do your thing but call Nelleys, say you're a jag member and see if they beat the price...

Old 06-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2006 xj8 console not opening . I slid the arm rest to the rear and pried at the front corner . Three inches back from the corner are the tabs to release the pivot function . A scribe or small blade screwdriver pushed in released the spring loaded tabs . Remove the 4 tt10 torx screws to reveal two cables that operate the slide and pivot functions . The cable end (barrel) had pulled out . I snapped the barrel end back in and the arm rest worked . Thank all of you for your help! Catricks