Faulty ignition coil 1
Fuel injector 1 harness is open or shorted
Fuel injector 1 circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coil 1 harness is open or shorted
Ignition coil 1 circuit poor electrical connection
Insufficient cylinder 1 compression
Incorrect fuel pressure
Intake air leak

how to deal with this all by yourself and savings from going to an auto repair shop.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

compression test on cyl 1
if ok you might as well pull the intake as cyl 1 is under the intake on the r/s of the motor. pull the cyl 1 coil and plug and see if you are getting real spark. if not buy 6 plugs, 6 coils and a set of valve cover gaskets and replace it all. just my 2 cents but that's how I would attack it

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Start by removing the coil unit and inspect it for oil fouling. If the spark plug boss gasket leaks, engine oil collects in the spark plug wells eventually shorting the coil unit.

To remove the Bank1 coil units and spark plugs, you must remove the upper inlet manifold.

Have a read of this step-by-step procedure:

jaghelp.com: Intake manifold in a 2002 S-type 3.0L

Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
Start by removing the coil unit and inspect it for oil fouling. If the spark plug boss gasket leaks, engine oil collects in the spark plug wells eventually shorting the coil unit.
+1 on that. I'd also suggest a new set of spark plugs while you're at it.

The coil is a likely suspect, even if not oil soaked. Depending on your budget, it may be worthwhile to swap with a known good coil from the other (easily accessible) bank. If the new plugs don't fix it, see if the fault follows the coil. If so, then you know that coil was bad and you can easily replace it. I prefer to swap known good parts for troubleshooting, as sometimes new parts can be bad right out of the box. Rare, but it happens.

And since you mentioned a misfire, you have to listen to my canned speech on the subject. I'm waiting for a forum regular to turn this into a drinking game, where one must down a shot every time I get up on my soapbox:

If the computer has set a misfire code, please be aware "misfire" wasn't the best terminology that could have been used. Misfire sounds like an ignition problem, at least to me, meaning the fuel and compression were there, but for whatever reason, the required spark was missing or weak. This might lead an aspiring mechanic to troubleshoot the daylights out of a perfectly good ignition system. I do not care to discuss how I know this.

In OBD-speak, misfire simply means one or more cylinders is putting out low power compared to the others. Pretty much anything affecting the output of a cylinder can set a misfire code. It can be low compression. It can be a valve not opening fully. It could be a clogged fuel injector. And yes, it could be an ignition problem, too, but don't overlook the other possibilities, too. [/soapbox mode off]

But for starters, I'd suggest new spark plugs and swapping the coil. Resist the temptation to make a bunch of other changes at the same time. If a new fault is accidentally introduced, you'd have a bunch of extra work to undo each step to figure out why.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar s type 2000 3.0 v6 - OBD II P0301 & P1573

Thanks you all for your inputs,
I changed 3 Spark plugs for cylinder 1, 2 & 3 in hope to overcome P0301 Error (my car was trembling - Check Engine Light> P0301)

Now, after this, my car has stopped trembling significantly,However, it still trembles but only when i start engine or stop at a traffic signal (when im not accelerating) once i accelerate, it does not tremble, yet!!!

The problem is that the check engine light is still ON and this time the OBD connector shows two Codes; P0301 & P1573 which is new, and by the way YES, i erased previous errors on OBD and reset it just to make sure the error codes are genuine.

P1573 JAGUAR - Throttle Position Not Available

Possible causes;
Faulty Throttle Position Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
Throttle Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection

P1573 JAGUAR Description The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) tests the electronic throttle for the ability of the throttle plate to return to the default (limp home) position from both the open and closed positions.

What can i do now?

is it safe to drive?

Last edited by ivicks; 12-06-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You could read up what others found for P0301 - it's hardly ever the plug(s). I see people suggested the coils already. Did you fit a different / known good one?

The jag codes PDF / workshop manual has more about P1573 so that should help you. (free downloads)

With misfires and that it is probably "safe" (non-injurious to your physical health) but you may cause damage if you drive it more than necessary to fix it.

P1573 is incredibly rare (there again the cars are getting old so more such can be expected to occur). Might be worth checking the battery just in case but otherwise just follow the clues Jaguar doc provide.

With 2 codes and if you've ruled out the coil it may be worth studying the electrical guide in case there's something the 2 items in the codes have in common.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-06-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by ivicks
I changed 3 Spark plugs for cylinder 1, 2 & 3 in hope to overcome P0301 Error

The problem is that the check engine light is still ON and this time the OBD connector shows two Codes; P0301 & P1573 which is new, and by the way YES, i erased previous errors on OBD and reset it just to make sure the error codes are genuine.

Okay, let me make sure I understand. You say you changed the three spark plugs on the right hand bank (when looking forward), under the big swoopy intake plenum? After that, you're now getting a new P1573 code?

If you had the intake plenum off, that also means you had to remove the throttle body. One of the connectors may not be fully seated. I'd suggest rechecking all connectors that were disturbed, especially the big one for the Throttle Position Sensor at the very front. On my '02 V6, that connector does not properly lock anymore, so I secured it with a long tie-wrap around the connector body.

One more thought on the P1573:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ection-176446/

Kind of a long shot, as I'm not sure it would set that code, but it's easy enough to run the calibration and see if that helps.

Back to the P0301, I'd suggest swapping with a known-good coil from the other bank and see if the fault follows. Unfortunately that means getting back under the big plenum again. If the fault follows the suspect coil to the other (easily accessed) bank, it would be simple to replace that one with new.

Last edited by kr98664; 12-07-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Hey, thanks for assistance, however, I only changed spark plugs, and after putting everything back, when I knew the problem still persists, out of laziness I just kept driving it
abiut the throttle sensor, P1573, it was nothing but a misfit, I fixed it after positioning it right.

The serious problem has happened now.

​​​​​​Finally I decided to change all the necessary parts such as coils, gasket, etc. However, when I read the codes in OBD- connector, surprised was I that there were three codes. P0301, P0401 & P1131.

I'm really baffled, anyway, I decided to change the coils at least hence took of the plenum. However when I looked at the coils that I bought online was not the right part for my car, so I will have to buy the right ones.

Could anyone suggest upon above mentioned new error codes?

I'm guessing the P0401 could be because I hadn't change the oil since 2000 miles. But other than that no idea about P1131 the HO2 sensor!

Help, PLEASE!