S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control module from xj8 swap out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control module from xj8 swap out?

I went to the dealer today hoping to compare the XJ8 CCM with an S-type (non nav). I wanted to see if they matched in size, mounts and rear jack. He had no XJ8 modules. He added that although the S-types need replacing often he seldom sees that in XJ8's. They do look identical except mine is flat black and the XJ8's is glossy. I think I could swap the faceplates. Hoping that someone has actually tried this or maybe one of the Techs might know. There are several on Ebay for the XJ8 but none for newer s-types. They range from $70 to $150 compared to $1410 new.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Bailey
I went to the dealer today hoping to compare the XJ8 CCM with an S-type (non nav). I wanted to see if they matched in size, mounts and rear jack. He had no XJ8 modules. He added that although the S-types need replacing often he seldom sees that in XJ8's. They do look identical except mine is flat black and the XJ8's is glossy. I think I could swap the faceplates. Hoping that someone has actually tried this or maybe one of the Techs might know. There are several on Ebay for the XJ8 but none for newer s-types. They range from $70 to $150 compared to $1410 new.
Have you pulled yours out yet.. (Damn.. I just had the center stack out, should have snapped a picture)

Take a picture of the connections.

Many vendors on Ebay will also have pictures of the parts. My gut tells me, if the connectors look the the same, they probably are.

The other thing is to get the wiring diagrams for both and confirm the wires.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

I think it will work, but what's wrong with yours?

George

Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM

My CCM has a glitch. It infrequently flashes very rapidly but usually it operates normally. When it's flashing it still works fine. One of our fellow Jag forum members said he had the same thing happen to him he took it straight to the dealer and they told him it was about to fail and replaced it under warranty. My DCCV is dry, all vents are blowing the right temp. I have not pulled it out... I think I'll wait until I have a possible replacement. The only thing I know is it's totally random when it happens. If I restart the car it may be back to normal display. I've read Justin's fix (excellently done) on a bad circuit but I'm of mind to think that's directly related to a faulty DCCV. You guys are helping me work through this and really appreciate your time. Who knows, I may just try the XJ8 module (only an $80 gamble) but was hoping someone might know for sure. But if not I'll be the guinea pig on this and I'll document it for everyone. THANKS

Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Who knows, I may just try the XJ8 module (only an $80 gamble)

You can try it and always put it back on ebay if it won't swap out.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Who knows, I may just try the XJ8 module (only an $80 gamble) but was hoping someone might know for sure. But if not I'll be the guinea pig on this and I'll document it for everyone. THANKS
I don't think anyone has thought to do it... Actually I thought to do it when I was considering replacing the factory stereo...See most aftermarket head units are a glossy finish and I thought it would look a lot cleaner if the climate control panel matched. There are a bunch of shared components between cars. So, for the 80 bucks or so, it is something I would do.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 AM

I'm with you guys. Thought I'd let this cook out there for a while in hopes that someone says "Hold on, it's not the CCM it's the finortner valve connection/fuse" or whatever. But the reality of the situation is it is likely the CCM, which is still working perfect.... 90% of the time. I give Jeff credit for this idea and I too think it'll work. But if any of you techs out there want to ask your parts guy that would be awesome. Keep on fighting the fight!

Last edited by Dirk Bailey; 10-26-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

The electrical diagrams look quite a bit different to me. Did you check them?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM

I have not checked the elec diagrams... so thanks for the heads up. Not sure I'll know what I'm looking for. IF the rear jack matches and has the same pin configuration what do you think of our idea? I have Jtis to 2004 are those the diagrams you speak of?

Last edited by Dirk Bailey; 10-26-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

If I were in your situation I'd check the diagrams carefully and if they're different I'd abandon the idea. I had time for a quick glance and they immediately looked different. (If you don't want to check yourself, that's OK by me.)

Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
If I were in your situation I'd check the diagrams carefully and if they're different I'd abandon the idea. I had time for a quick glance and they immediately looked different. (If you don't want to check yourself, that's OK by me.)
What did you notice at a quick glance that was different? Just curious.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Couldn't even see the DCCV. Pinouts look different. Really, anyone who has any leanings in the direction of the OP may as well check first rather than buy anything.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Couldn't even see the DCCV. Pinouts look different. Really, anyone who has any leanings in the direction of the OP may as well check first rather than buy anything.
I agree, I would check them as well. Hmmm.. The XJ8 I think has a 3 zone climate control... There is dual temperature settings for the front, then the rear also has a temperature setting as well in the rear of the center console. I still think the front control module is the same.. Just the harness may take the input to different places. But can't tell from here...

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Are the diagrams in Jtis, being that they're 2004, the diagrams you're refering to?

Last edited by Dirk Bailey; 10-27-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Yes and on http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...trical_Guides/

The CAN is different, too, by the look of it. Twin on the XJ and single on the S.

If you're good at making up cables, it may work. If the modules are internally the same. I cannot see why they would be but it's possible.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

Yes and on www.captainjaguarscathouse.com/Electrical_Guides/

The CAN is different, too, by the look of it. Twin on the XJ and single on the S.

If you're good at making up cables, it may work. If the modules are internally the same. I cannot see why they would be but it's possible.
Interesting thing is the newest XJ8 electrical diagram on that site is the previous generation and not the 2004 to 2010 car that we are talking about. Need to look in JTIS. They should have the newer car's on there.

OK, I really need to stop being distracted and get back to work

I just like this stuff... Think it's neat...

Old 10-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Right now I have time on my side because it's still working. I'll keep my eyes open for a used newer stype CCM on ebay (there are many for the older stypes). You guys rock!

Last edited by Dirk Bailey; 10-27-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Interesting thing is the newest XJ8 electrical diagram on that site is the previous generation and not the 2004 to 2010 car that we are talking about. Need to look in JTIS. They should have the newer car's on there.
I'm not convinced you'll find the correct year ones on jtis but I reckon you may as well give up. The XJ has a more complex network config, as the twin CANs and two climate modules show, so it's almost for sure a no-hoper.

If it can be made to work (using own-design connectors etc) and if the XJ doesn't blow its module due to DCCV, then it would be useful.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 AM

Decided to take a more proactive approach, rather than wait for my CCM to fail. I ordered a new Bosch heater valve (DCCV) on Autopartsworld ($82). Even though my DCCV is dry, one thing is apparent if you spend any time on this site they fail and they fail often, and not always in the same way. Thought it could possibly be causing my CCM glitch or perhaps prolong my CCM from failure. The fact that Jagv8 didn't even see a DCCV on the XJ8 wiring diagram lends itself to my dealer parts guy's statement that he "seldom sees CCM failures in the XJ8". Also, I noticed on Ebay today a later model s-type CCM for $400 plus $100 exchange. In the ad they speak directly of heater valve failure AND their part is warranted for one year only if you show proof of heater valve replacement prior to putting in their rebuilt CCM, interesting? It appears the vast majority if not all CCM failures are caused by a short on the circuit board brought on by valve failure. So if/when my CCM fails I'll try Justin67's fix first. I know several of you have pointed me in this direction earlier but sometimes it takes me a little longer than others. Thanks.

Last edited by Dirk Bailey; 10-27-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Decided to take a more proactive approach, rather than wait for my CCM to fail. I ordered a new Bosch heater valve (DCCV) on Autopartsworld ($82). Even though my DCCV is dry, one thing is apparent if you spend any time on this site they fail and they fail often, and not always in the same way. Thought it could possibly be causing my CCM glitch or perhaps prolong my CCM from failure. The fact that Jagv8 didn't even see a DCCV on the XJ8 wiring diagram lends itself to my dealer parts guy's statement that he "seldom sees CCM failures in the XJ8". Also, I noticed on Ebay today a later model s-type CCM for $400 plus $100 exchange. In the ad they speak directly of heater valve failure AND their part is warranted for one year only if you show proof of heater valve replacement prior to putting in their rebuilt CCM, interesting? It appears the vast majority if not all CCM failures are caused by a short on the circuit board brought on by valve failure. So if/when my CCM fails I'll try Justin67's fix first. I know several of you have pointed me in this direction earlier but sometimes it takes me a little longer than others. Thanks.
Very wise...

I, too, am curious as to why identical looking units may be different. The controls and display are exactly the same. I will keep checking in on this...

Quick Reply: Climate control module from xj8 swap out?