S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting OEM hid headlamps to non-HID S Type?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Connecting OEM hid headlamps to non-HID S Type?

What needs to happen on the wiring side? Is it just plug and play assuming you have the headlamps, bulbs and ballast?

Old 08-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Connecting OEM hid headlamps to non-HID S Type?

Well I don't think that it would be a direct plug and play. HID's bulbs are different than traditional bulbs and therefore use diffrent wiring. You might be able to make it work with some type of adapter?

Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 AM

MRPAL so, you bought a set of Xenon headlights and a hid conversion kit? If you purchased a set of Xenon powered headlights, what are you planning to do with the hid conversion kit? Fog lights?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I was told by an ebay seller. HID harness and non-HIDs don't match. You can cut off both harnesses and solder the wires together. Or you can attempt to make your own plug and play harness. I don't know where I'd find a harness/pigtail for the hid assembles...

Old 08-12-2007, 06:37 AM

Bacadi151 go to HIDPLANET.com and spend some time there. You willpick up alot of great info. There's DIY info forretofitting projectors into you headlights. Or you could just pay one the guys to do it for you. Also you could probably learn how to make youradapterfor OEM Xenon lighting work with your headlights? Atthe very least youcan compareXenon powered projectors vsXenon hid's and see the difference. No pun intended.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Ironically I know the owner of that site from a different forum (not in real life). I assume non projector HIDs look like complete *** and/or throw light into the sky on the s type?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 AM

ORIGINAL: MRPAL

Bacardi,

I just ordered a used set of a xenon headlight assembly and also ordered the hid conversion kit.
It's your wording that threw me off.I think that you will be happy with your purchase. I really like the cutoff beam as well as the color you get with the projectors. I had to raise mine up a bit, as they were aimed to low for my taste. I'm not blinding anyone on the road,I justraised them up a notch. Good luck with the install.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: MRPAL

Don't I need the ballast and wiring kit to hook up xenon headlights into a non xenon s type system?

I have the non -xenon headlights now, I am replacing both assemblies -(my originals are broken) and replacing them with xenon projection headlight assemblies with D2S bulbs.

Let me know what you think
Yes, you will need all you posted. Usually if you get a used ballast, most sellers will just cut offthe wiring six inches from the headlamp whichyou canspliced in.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So correct me if I'm wrong from what I'm reading, but in order to run the stock OEM look you would have to get the OEM HID Headlamp (which has the auto adjusting headlamp option), and then purchase an ADDITIONAL aftermarket headlight kit. I thought it comes stock with Xenons.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_30642/tm.htm
look at my thread, I bought aftermarket HID conversion kits, just like replacing a light bulb........plug and play

Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 PM

I actually looked at that thread before I looked into getting any HID upgrades

Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bacardi,
I installed a kit from Xtralights.com very nice system. Alittle more money, but worth it. This kit is without saying a plug and play install. I used their 6000k. Never had a problem and they are very nice and helpful to deal with.
Regards

Old 12-13-2007, 03:37 PM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bacardi 151

What needs to happen on the wiring side? Is it just plug and play assuming you have the headlamps, bulbs and ballast?
Connecting OEM HID assemblies to NON-HID vehicles is NOT plug and play. The harness on the HID assemblies will plug in to the car's harness, but there are wires from the HID plug side that do not match up to any wires on the car's harness side. If you look at the car's harness you will see that on one side of the plug there are little rubber stops where wires would be. But, because you have stock halogens there is no need for Jaguar to wire anything in those spots.

<Man, I hope that's understandable>

I learned this out by actually installing the HID assemblies in a halogen car (2000 S-Type). I couldn't figure what the HID harness' extra wires would possibly go to. I know it has to go to the auto leveling motors and ballast/igniters, but which wire goes hot/ground is beyond me.

So...what did I do? What everybody else would have done that couldn't figure the wiring.....
Put in a kit. The projector lens is there to give the correct cut-off and all so, why not. The only problem that I foresee - in my case, I have a 2000 with 2003/2004 HID headlight assemblies installed, is that when I have to change a bulb out, I will have to drop the bumper and all do take the assemblies out again. This has to be done because the back of the assembly hit the radiator cross member support. That sux!

Anyway, hope this non-informative piece helps! [&:]

Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 PM

mep
The HID system I stated from Xtralights.com is plug and play. Did the install in about 1 hr my self. Hardest part was putting in the bulbs. I got there best Digital Ultra Thin Ballasts, the best Japan has to offer. Like I said top of the line from Japan. Remember sometimes you get what you pay for. Their best system is the best system I have seen yet. Check it out or give them a call.
Regards

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey thanks for the info oilman151. I need to put much better equipment in and yea, you definitely get what you pay for.
Cheers! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Oilman,
Do you have any photos of how the swap came out? Did you do any other light modifications other than swapping out for the HID bulbs (changing out lenses etc.)?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:00 AM

I dont have any photos of it being finished. I have tinted windows all around, chrome 18s, mesh grillupper and lower.
If I e-mail you a photo of my car can post it ?
regards

Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM

Oilman,
What percentage tint do you have on your S Type? I want to get my tint done and get the mesh grill done this winter break. I just want the upper mesh though, I don't really like the lower portion.

Yeah that's no problem, I can take care of that. I'll shoot you a PM with my email address and I'll see if I can have the photos up whenever you send them to me.

Quick Reply: Connecting OEM hid headlamps to non-HID S Type?