S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant hose replacement plan - 2005 STR

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Coolant hose replacement plan - 2005 STR

I had a leak from maybe the DCCV or auxiliary water pump. Decided to replace most hoses and finally have the parts after several rounds of orders from several sources. Car has been down for a couple of weeks and I've been able to drive the 1972 XJ6 which also developed a coolant leak then a faulty alternator (GM unit). Had to drive the F250 for a while too and just returned from Death Valley vacation with the truck so can get to fixing the STR.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant hose replacement plan - 2005 STR-image.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Good decision - expensive, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Have a look at the under the supercharger hose. It's notorious. If that one blew posting a photo of it here and in the main thread for that issue would be helpful as evidence of what goes wrong.

I've not been hit with this so far but based upon what I've read this hose is not made right. So check out that thread and think about doing something preventative. One guy talked about having it made up in silicone and he was in the automobile manufacturing business.

I'm looking at that collection of hoses and gasping just thinking about what it all cost.

And if you haven't learned by now be forewarned any plastic involved in the cooling system (probably elsewhere as well) is of very poor quality. My second coolant tank is leaking once again at the very same spot.

Originally Posted by David_h
I had a leak from maybe the DCCV or auxiliary water pump. Decided to replace most hoses and finally have the parts after several rounds of orders from several sources. Car has been down for a couple of weeks and I've been able to drive the 1972 XJ6 which also developed a coolant leak then a faulty alternator (GM unit). Had to drive the F250 for a while too and just returned from Death Valley vacation with the truck so can get to fixing the STR.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Yikes!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Have a look at the under the supercharger hose. It's notorious. If that one blew posting a photo of it here and in the main thread for that issue would be helpful as evidence of what goes wrong.
Thanks. I just started my teardown yesterday and have included the removal of the supercharger to replace the hose underneath. I was originally going to skip this due to the effort however I have the luxury of having two other cars (XJ6 and F250) to use while I try to do the job right. I'm just now looking into sourcing the additional parts for this new effort.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

It looks like he has the updated under SC hose. We don't know what was changed but the one I got from Jaguar is a one piece hose. No metal where it changed diameter. That spot seems to be where they usually start leaking.

I think you are missing a few hoses but maybe not?

I marked the SC hose in question.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant hose replacement plan - 2005 STR-hoses.jpg  
Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

????

I'm looking at the hose in that picture and I see two metal bands on the larger end so how is this now one piece?

Also, I have seen one(1) failed hose and it was in the larger section. I have been asking to see others and have not. So maybe I missed those?

Has it really been established that this is where the hose fails?

Originally Posted by tbird6
It looks like he has the updated under SC hose. We don't know what was changed but the one I got from Jaguar is a one piece hose. No metal where it changed diameter. That spot seems to be where they usually start leaking.

I marked the SC hose in question.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, no I was unclear. The one I have from Jaguar is one piece. But it looks like they have now changed it to a two piece hose with the metal bands on it.

I am hoping this was due to the difficulty in replacing this hose. I may even buy this new style one because when I checked it was less than $30.

Never been established but the pictures that I have seen posted, the failure is at the large end of the hose.

Last edited by tbird6; 05-22-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally I was not going to undertake the SC hose replacement and apparently ordered the SC hose by mistake. I have not found a single comprehensive source that has: 1) exploded diagrams, 2)part names; and, 3)part numbers. So yes I am likely missing some hoses too.

I have now undertaken the work and have just gotten as far as removing the EGR valve. Couple questions:
1. My EGR looks to be in good shape. Should I consider replacing it?
2). Next step is to remove the two pipes from the air intake elbow. Pressing the plastic clips,does not seem to allow them to slid off. Any tricks? I hate to get too rough.

I sure hope I can put this all back together.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 PM

Better pic of my EGR.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Default Slow progress

Just thinking about have to replace the EGR at some near future date leads me to want to install a new one now since I have it out. Maybe I should replace the water pump too, since access is relatively good now. Took another look at the clip for the air hose to plenum and just followed the hose to the front where it has the same clip and is more easily inspected. Clip is "Norma" and I could clearly see how to remove it so after some fiddling go the rear off the plenum. That was the 1/2" or so dameter hose. The clip for the smaller hose (about 3/8" or so) is hader to get to back there so I just skipped ahead and began removing the four bolts holding the plenum to the back of the supercharger. Three are off, and the bottom one on the left side (USA driver) is a pain to get too. Got is loose however I'll pick up a few more fittings for my 1/4" drive socket set to manuver in there. Meanwhile, still driving my old '72 XJ6 daily.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 AM

Supercharger is off and just about time to start installing new hoses and gaskets. I tried to remove the plenum first since I read that it would be easier to get to the rest SC bolt. However one last bolt on the plenum proved to difficult to get to. So I just attacked the rear SC bolt and finally got it out.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Doing well. Did you see Brutal's advice to slot the rear bolt before putting the SC (I think it's the SC) back on?

Please post a good pic of the bad hose when you get a chance. Not just the failure part but another of the whole hose as there's an interest in how many variants there are of it.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Well your EGR valve and tube do look very good and I would be like you are now. Do I replace or not? If I had them on hand then yes I would change them. My personal plan is to have it all on hand if I need to do it. I have everything BUT the EGR stuff right now.

The tube looks to be stainless but several people have reported getting a hole in the tube so I wonder where it corrodes at?

I find the water pump to be pretty easy to get to because it's on the front of the engine. The 4.2L does not have many water pump problems aside from a few that have leaked. I would not change it now.

It interesting to see the new 5.0L engine is known for water pump failures. Sometimes with 50K or less miles.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:11 PM

Remember that my leak was the DCCV or maybe Aux Water pump not SC hose. I've not yet removed the DCCV or Aux Water Pump to confirm which is leaking however will be replacing both anyway. I will certainly share inspection results of my SC hose on this thread including pics. Meanwhile, on for my preventative maintenance my plan I might now be looking at:
- replace EGR
- retain EGR tube
- leave water pump alone

Now, what about SC oil replacement? I've not studied the procedure however it must be easier with SC off car.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Most likely the leak is a hose near the DCCV but the DCCV can leak too. Doubt it's the AUX coolant pump because they do die but I have never heard of one leaking yet?

It is but I did it on the engine. We have a couple of very good threads on how to exactly change the oil. You do know that we use the same SC oil as Ford and GM so you can get the right stuff almost anywhere?

I found the GM stuff cheapest on EBay.

It would be worth your while to search for the SC oil change threads. Just for background information.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:53 PM

Pic from last night. Will inspect the hose more carefully upon removal.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:53 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Heh, just asked the XFR folks, over on their list, about their coolant hoses and learned that they are just as crappy as ours...
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following users liked this post:
silverXKR03 (02-01-2016)
Old 05-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
Heh, just asked the XFR folks, over on their list, about their coolant hoses and learned that they are just as crappy as ours...
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Gots to keep those dealerships eating.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

All the ones I've seen photos of are the two piece design with the metal bands and it's the large portion that fails.

So I'm still confused by your comment???

Sorry, no I was unclear. The one I have from Jaguar is one piece. But it looks like they have now changed it to a two piece hose with the metal bands on it.

I am hoping this was due to the difficulty in replacing this hose. I may even buy this new style one because when I checked it was less than $30.

Never been established but the pictures that I have seen posted, the failure is at the large end of the hose.

Quick Reply: Coolant hose replacement plan - 2005 STR