S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

tbird6's photo just happened to show it with the wheel off - you should be able to access it without a jack and without removing the wheel if I understand it correctly. Just look for the red cap after removing the plastic in the fenderwell.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

I don't think you can get the liner out without taking the wheel off.
Not easily anyway.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:01 PM

Ok, first, you have to only do what you're comfortable with, but here's what I would do. As you can see by this diagram of power distribution, the next stop after the "bulkhead power stud" (the one next to the wheel that has been the subject of conversation) is the generator. Seems there is nothing between the stud and the generator, and nothing between the battery and the stud, so you could attach there (given it is somehow reachable and attachable under the hood). Just throwing out less complicated ideas, in case you can't reach the "bulkhead power stud" without removing the wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!-stypepower.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by BillDJohnson:
Louis McMahon III (03-28-2014), SunnyDay (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
By all reports, there *is* a power stud behind the right front wheelwell. And even if there is not, a jumper can be attached at the starter positive post by crawling under the car.

You do not want to jump start the car ... the point of supplying power is to be able to use the remote to gain access to the trunk, and then charge the battery while the trunk is open.

If the key spins without unlocking the trunk you may indeed have two valet keys. The difference between a master and service key is that the very tip of the key shaft is smaller on the master key. A service key can be converted to a master key by filing the tip down at the sides.
Im beginning to think that I might have 2 valet keys, its hard to tell but these do not look like they have the divets cut out at top.. These are my 2 keys - What do you guys think?

Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!-photo-1.jpg

Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BillDJohnson
Ok, first, you have to only do what you're comfortable with, but here's what I would do. As you can see by this diagram of power distribution, the next stop after the "bulkhead power stud" (the one next to the wheel that has been the subject of conversation) is the generator. Seems there is nothing between the stud and the generator, and nothing between the battery and the stud, so you could attach there (given it is somehow reachable and attachable under the hood). Just throwing out less complicated ideas, in case you can't reach the "bulkhead power stud" without removing the wheel.

BILL You are the BOMB - thank you!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 PM

:-) Just make sure you double-check these things, because, as I said, I don't own an S-Type and, though it's possible many of the years are the same or similar schematic, it could be different. Google something like "s type power distribution pdf" - maybe add the year too. Hope some of this helps!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Smile TA DAAA Thanks to you Im driving again!

I wanted to THANK each and every one of you that answered on this Thread. I also want to mention s couple interesting (to me, anyway) tidbits I learned:

1> The local Jag Dealer Service Dept told me I would not find a positive post to power the trunk in the passenger wheel well - You said they were wrong, and YES they were. I got the tire off, removed the liner and there it was. It allowed me to get enough power to the trunk to get it open.

2> I was able to jump start the car and I ran it for a while, then turned it off and back on. Tomorrow morning I will see if it has held a charge. A new battery is probably in the offing but that's okay as I know I can jump start it now.

3> A few things in the car are acting oddly now - like the Parking Break Fault Indicator is on for no discernable reason and the radio is on but no sound..but I think I read that weird stuff will happen upon re powering a dead battery so Im not too worried. I will figure out the stereo tomorrow. hopefully.

All in All a very successful day, Im leaps and bounds ahead of where I was this morning and it's all due to YOU GUYS! Thank you, Thank you SO MUCH!

The following 2 users liked this post by SunnyDay:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-31-2013), Mikey (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Glad to hear this!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

You'll have to "recalibrate" the EPB - see HowTos - any time the battery is off or dead.

Over here you need to input the audio code but you should not normally have to do that over there. When you do it's normally (always?) because the radio's been set to the wrong region. If you have the touchscreen there's a bypass: press >> AMEM and PTY.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Glad you got it sorted. As I was reading thru, I was thinking of my 9V memory retainer that plugs into the cig lighter to maintain preset stations and clock, etc while you have the battery disconnected. Then I got to Mikey's post. I'm still curious if that would work, may go home and try it on one of our S-types. You would have to turn the key on as the lighters aren't hot in "off."
Also curious how you blew a fuse with a trickle charger - thought they only provided about 2 amps? Lighter fuse should be well in excess of that? If Batt dead and you had lots of equipment turned on, and plugged it in and turned the key on...I suppose, but the device would still have to be capable of more than 2 A output...just curious, not criticizing..

Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Glad you got it sorted. As I was reading thru, I was thinking of my 9V memory retainer that plugs into the cig lighter to maintain preset stations and clock, etc while you have the battery disconnected. Then I got to Mikey's post. I'm still curious if that would work, may go home and try it on one of our S-types. You would have to turn the key on as the lighters aren't hot in "off."
Also curious how you blew a fuse with a trickle charger - thought they only provided about 2 amps? Lighter fuse should be well in excess of that? If Batt dead and you had lots of equipment turned on, and plugged it in and turned the key on...I suppose, but the device would still have to be capable of more than 2 A output...just curious, not criticizing..
I had the same thoughts.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
You are right - as it turned out the fuse wasnt blown. The charger went off and wouldnt charge thru the Cig Lighter so I assumed it was a blown fuse, but when I went to replace it, it looked fine.

The car started today like nothing had ever been wrong and I took it in and had the battery tested and the guy said the battery is as healthy as a horse. So, while somewhat puzzling that it died in the first place, I can only assume I left something turned on. Once I get the radio sound to work again I will be as good as new.

The most impressive thing to me is that the advice I received from HERE was vastly superior to the advice given me by the service department of the local Jag dealer.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SunnyDay

The most impressive thing to me is that the advice I received from HERE was vastly superior to the advice given me by the service department of the local Jag dealer.
Happens on a regular basis 'round here.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnyDay
So, while somewhat puzzling that it died in the first place, I can only assume I left something turned on. Once I get the radio sound to work again I will be as good as new.
Not necessarily. Have a look around the forum and you'll find a number of threads concerning S-Types draining their batteries while the owner sleeps soundly in his/her warm furry bed. One of the chief culprits is the ignition switch, though there are others. I fitted a 5W solar panel and BatteryMinder charger/desulfator to the 03 as it is my daughter's and she is enrolled in an institution of higher learning some 6 hrs drive from home - so limited amount of time for troubleshooting - I truly believe in her case it was numerous 5 min trips across campus at night only - but no problems since fitting the charger.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

One thing you may like to do is to monitor the current from the battery after 40 mins of the car being off (i.e. key out of ignition). If it's more than 50-100mA then start a new thread!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Diana - so glad we could help.

There really are some great guys on this forum, as you're finding out.

Good to have you here with us and glad you're back on the road again

Louis McMahon III (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a trickle charger from Jaguar that plugs into the lighter socket it is also sold under the manufacture;s name.

Battery Conditioner - US (C2P25122)

Other Parts In This Group

Battery Conditioner
- Diagnoses, monitors and maintains the Battery at optimum levels ensuring prolonged battery life and reliability.
- Features integrated wiring and a dedicated DIN socket within the Loadspace area, providing convenience and ease of use.
Part Number:C2P25122FIND A DEALERPRINT
SHAREShare on facebookShare on twitterShare

Attached Thumbnails Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!-c2p25122.jpg  

Last edited by Louis McMahon III; 03-28-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Louis McMahon III
Here is a trickle charger from Jaguar that plugs into the lighter socket it is also sold under the manufacture;s name.

Battery Conditioner
- Diagnoses, monitors and maintains the Battery at optimum levels ensuring prolonged battery life and reliability.
- Features integrated wiring and a dedicated DIN socket within the Loadspace area, providing convenience and ease of use.
That's of no use on any car where the lighter socket goes dead when the key is switched off, like the S-type.

Norri (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tricle charger from Jaguar

This is $179 USD from your Jaguar dealer

Battery Conditioner

Attached Thumbnails Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!-c2p25122.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Also of no use? For the same reason above...

May as well get a CTEK. But not needed for most people since the car does a fine job of charging the battery if driven.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery, Trunk wont open, yes I tried the key. Help a Girl out!