Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Bargains

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Dealer Bargains

Like most people on this forum, I am on the lookout for bargains for my car. One such available from my local dealer is what I got last Saturday. I got an oil change, annual safety inspection and a car wash for under $60. Had I gotten each one from an outside source, It would have cost roughly double what the dealer charged.

Mike

Old 02-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

That sure was a bargain. You related to the owner? Here a safety & emissions will cost about that.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Nice score Mike!!! Did they also serve some nice wine and cheese?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Nice score Mike!!! Did they also serve some nice wine and cheese?
Too early in the day for that Rick. It was only 0900. They had the usual coffee machine though which was free. I've seen other dealers charge $1 for coffee which is rather like adding insult to injury.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

*******s!!!!

Where have you been lately anyways?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Good deal, Mike!
FTW dealer keeps a well-stocked cooler of soft-drinks, specially labeled bottled water, and snacks for the complimentary enjoyment of their patrons.

Sorry Rick, but there is plenty of "whine" usually coming from the cashier's window and the cheese is "nip chee"....but it sure beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow! Great deal! I took my Jag into a Ford dealer (was in a bind) for an oil change this past summer. The guy was a ***** behind the counter until I told him what car I had. Nothing but peaches and cream after that. Except when they bent me over the counter and had their way with me when they charged $120 for a bloody oil change! Was I pissed! I won't be going back there again.

Was that a special deal, or are you going to get that every time you go in?

Cheers!
Rob

Old 02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Spitfire
Wow! Great deal! I took my Jag into a Ford dealer (was in a bind) for an oil change this past summer. The guy was a ***** behind the counter until I told him what car I had. Nothing but peaches and cream after that. Except when they bent me over the counter and had their way with me when they charged $120 for a bloody oil change! Was I pissed! I won't be going back there again.

Cheers!
Rob
$120 for an oil change? wTF!, man you have to ask how much it cost before you throw down the coin, not the other way around. I just pay $20 for an oil change on my STR at a local mechanic shop. Of course I supply the synthetic oil from *ahem* WALMART! and my own oil filter , but when I'm not lazy I do my own oil change up on my RAce Ramps b/c my STR is lowered and cannot use any ordinary car ramps.

**My only suggestion if you like doing DIY stuff, get yourself a pair of car ramps and do the oil change yourself(save money), of course good ol Vance has a nice oil change video up on youtube to follow step by step
Cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 02-28-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I was in a rush that day and needed to get it done. It was actually my wife that went in to pick her up after the oil change. I didn't find out the price until she came home. I purchased an after market warranty on my Jag which requires the oil changes to be done at a shop every 5k. Normally I would do the oil changes myself as I have all the kit to do so, but I'm stuck abiding by the warranty. Oh well.

I have a local shop that gives me a good rate now so I can't complain too too much.

Rob

Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I was in a rush that day and needed to get it done. It was actually my wife that went in to pick her up after the oil change. I didn't find out the price until she came home. I purchased an after market warranty on my Jag which requires the oil changes to be done at a shop every 5k. Normally I would do the oil changes myself as I have all the kit to do so, but I'm stuck abiding by the warranty. Oh well.

I have a local shop that gives me a good rate now so I can't complain too too much.

Rob
Ahhh I hear ya Rob, its all good long as you found a place you trust for fair price they charge its all good bro

Take care

Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey guys, well nearly that time for the work on the car.....pre end of warranty check, warranty work, MOT and mini service.

In preparation ( although not really necessary ) I thoroughly cleaned the car today, incl all door shuts, engine bay, windows inside n out tyres blacked and also let off a Comma Airfreshner for the A/C system.
The car looks great inside n out and smells nice n fresh too. All bulbs etc checked and all ok, now sitting just a tad under 80k miles.

My belief is a well presented and clean car with little / few faults will be more likely to go through the MOT a little easier as it shows a well looked after vehicle......anyhow...

Here's my listing of work to be carried out on Tuedsay 1st March....

Pre end of warranty check / health check carried out.
Drivers window goes down but not up from switch...WARRANTY
Poor cold start / lazy start....check, possibly replace battery..WARRANTY
Condensation in rear lights again!....dry out / replace..WARRANTY
Mini service inclu oil filter & oil change, fuel filter & air filter £120
Free Audi MOT

Considering these as well......
transmission fluid change and brake fluid change dependant on costings

PS - The paintwork on the bottom of the drivers door area is really bugging me. Depending on how all of the above goes & costs involved I may look at just booking her in ASAP to get this done soon.
I'll need to check with the bodyshop again how much they're looking for....£400 or so rings a bell and the dealership said they'll contribute £200

I have to say that my dealership REALLY looks after me.....I've had thousands on warranty when other drivers get refused. I've had litres of oil "Given" to me when they are usually £15 a litre, ALWAYS a courtesy car and they ALWAYS bend over backwards for me .....really really can't complain and definitely a dealer bargain as far as I'm concerned

Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers!
Rob
That's pretty much of a standard deal although the oil change price itself may vary somewhat, although not more than say $20 or so. Even at that it's still pretty good.

Mike

Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64

Hey guys, well nearly that time for the work on the car.....pre end of warranty check, warranty work, MOT and mini service.

In preparation ( although not really necessary ) I thoroughly cleaned the car today, incl all door shuts, engine bay, windows inside n out tyres blacked and also let off a Comma Airfreshner for the A/C system.
The car looks great inside n out and smells nice n fresh too. All bulbs etc checked and all ok, now sitting just a tad under 80k miles.

My belief is a well presented and clean car with little / few faults will be more likely to go through the MOT a little easier as it shows a well looked after vehicle......anyhow...

Here's my listing of work to be carried out on Tuedsay 1st March....

Pre end of warranty check / health check carried out.
Drivers window goes down but not up from switch...WARRANTY
Poor cold start / lazy start....check, possibly replace battery..WARRANTY
Condensation in rear lights again!....dry out / replace..WARRANTY
Mini service inclu oil filter & oil change, fuel filter & air filter £120
Free Audi MOT

Considering these as well......
transmission fluid change and brake fluid change dependant on costings

PS - The paintwork on the bottom of the drivers door area is really bugging me. Depending on how all of the above goes & costs involved I may look at just booking her in ASAP to get this done soon.
I'll need to check with the bodyshop again how much they're looking for....£400 or so rings a bell and the dealership said they'll contribute £200

I have to say that my dealership REALLY looks after me.....I've had thousands on warranty when other drivers get refused. I've had litres of oil "Given" to me when they are usually £15 a litre, ALWAYS a courtesy car and they ALWAYS bend over backwards for me .....really really can't complain and definitely a dealer bargain as far as I'm concerned
Jim,

I would recommend checking out the door paint as that may indicate an early rust problem. Next, I would change out the transmission fluid. The brake fluid is something you can probably do in your driveway, depending on local laws regarding working on cars. I'm not sure if you frequent some Audi forums, but you may want to develop a list of known problem areas to work off of. On petrol engines, the timing belt and water pump can cause problems, but I'm not sure on diesel engines.

Good luck,

Mike

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by carelm
Jim,

I would recommend checking out the door paint as that may indicate an early rust problem. Next, I would change out the transmission fluid. The brake fluid is something you can probably do in your driveway, depending on local laws regarding working on cars. I'm not sure if you frequent some Audi forums, but you may want to develop a list of known problem areas to work off of. On petrol engines, the timing belt and water pump can cause problems, but I'm not sure on diesel engines.

Good luck,

Mike
Many thanks Mike....

I dropped the car off this am and currently have and Audi A6 2.0tdi 170 Sline only a few months old...quite nice

I do frequent the Audi forums as it happens ( also a vbulletin site ) and am currently in 2nd gear...woohoo

I've told them to do the brake fluid change for me anyway, as well as sort all the other issues that nee attention. I will be organising the paintwork issue shortly after I think as its getting worse. Been quoted around £400 from Audi but my dealer is offering £200 goodwill so thats not too bad.

The timing belt and water pump were done around 10k miles ago too

I fully intend to do the transmission fluid change soon too....This with a mini interim service just carried out on the oil filter, fuel filter, air filter and oil change, the MOT carried out and good for another year, drivers window repaired and rear light clusters renewed should see me all good for a while.....possibly a new battery as well, we'll see!

Thanks