S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engineering Test Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Engineering Test Mode?

I read with interest the messages on "Engineering Test Mode". Then I tried this. While I can get it into Engineering Test Mode, I can't get it to tell me anything. The right hand display simply continues to read just that. The left hand display cycles through the usual readings of mileage, speed, miles to empty, etc with each press of the stalk button on the right-hand lever. The left hand lever button deals with the windshield wash so pressing that isn't the answer. I leave the headlights in "Auto". Do they need to be physically turned off?

How do I get the display to show anything other than the announcement Engineering Test Mode?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller
I read with interest the messages on "Engineering Test Mode". Then I tried this. While I can get it into Engineering Test Mode, I can't get it to tell me anything. The right hand display simply continues to read just that. The left hand display cycles through the usual readings of mileage, speed, miles to empty, etc with each press of the stalk button on the right-hand lever. The left hand lever button deals with the windshield wash so pressing that isn't the answer. I leave the headlights in "Auto". Do they need to be physically turned off?

How do I get the display to show anything other than the announcement Engineering Test Mode?
I just tried it this morning, on an 05 you dont press the stalk button to navigate. See below:

"S-TYPE Instrument Cluster Self-Diagnostic ETM
To place the cluster in ETM, perform the following:
Press and hold the stalk trip cycle button whilst turning the ignition from position 0 to position II, until 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ is
displayed on the RH Message Centre display. The stalk trip cycle button must be released within three seconds of 'ENGINEERING TEST
MODE’ being displayed or the instrument cluster will exit Self-Diagnostic mode.

To navigate forward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the trip computer ‘MLS/KMS’ button.

3. To navigate backward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the trip computer ‘A/B’ button."

There is ALOT of stuff you can do, Im actually overwhelmed.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

If you search for "Engineering Test Mode" in this board you will find a .pdf file available that documents the various functions. For the S-Type there are more than 50 tests available. The neatest ones are the gauge checks and the instrument light tests. The most useful one I found is the battery check which use as a digital gauge.

Mike

Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Haven't played with this particular feature yet. Seems extremely useful. When I can get some time alone with the car, I'll put this function through its paces....

Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Pretty weird, the first thing that comes up is check gauges. I started the car this morning bringing the wife to the train station, and I did the ETM and check gauges. It then makes a weird noise and all the gauges go to full swing then back. Mind you, of course she is running late...

Wife: "What is the car broken again!?" -with a hint of sarcasm and aggravation

Me: "No, its like some test thing you can do on the car, there are a bunch of diagnostic tests you can run, its pretty cool and no its not broken"

Wife: "Great, stop playing and lets go"

Me: head down in defeat while putting it in reverse "Yes, sorry"

Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Pretty weird, the first thing that comes up is check gauges. I started the car this morning bringing the wife to the train station, and I did the ETM and check gauges. It then makes a weird noise and all the gauges go to full swing then back. Mind you, of course she is running late...

Me: "No, its like some test thing you can do on the car, there are a bunch of diagnostic tests you can run, its pretty cool and no its not broken"

Jaguar should have put in a disclaimer:

Engineering Test Mode is for Men Only.

The first two tests are geekhead heaven...noises, gauges whirring about and lots of lights.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sooo true

Pity you can't get into it at any time. Or by default LOLOLOL

Old 04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Bull,

Next time she gets in your car, tell her that there's a procedure when the car is in Engineering Test Mode that can determine the sex of her fetus. She must sit very still in the passenger seat and recline fully with her cheeks slightly apart while you scroll through to the proper test location. "Honey, the owners manual says that it won't hurt one bit and is completely safe for our child. Now, take a deep breath and get ready 'cause here we go...."

Old 04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27

OMG... That's Great!

Yes, engineering test mode is strictly for men.

George

Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Holy Cow! That is awesome.....especially the guage check. I sat last night just mesmerized.

I'll need to find the documents to see what the rest means as it's in a secret code.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Toller
Holy Cow! That is awesome.....especially the guage check. I sat last night just mesmerized.

I'll need to find the documents to see what the rest means as it's in a secret code.

Thanks!
I know right, its crazy how much STUFF you can do. Everything is in secret code except gauges and like one other thing. I also need to figure out what all of it means.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I like that one Jon89, but she prob. won't fall for it; try this --
When she's in the car and you're in engineering test mode, tell her that the computer measures the weight of the person in the passenger seat (in order to work out the fuel consumption accurately). Of course, you have already found out her weight, and subtle lying about the reading will afford an unparallelled opportunity for teasing and manipulation for quite some time...
Apart from anything else, you'll at least get a few minutes silence as the excess weight sinks in. Or you could use it as distraction methodology if you've been a naughty boy in some way. THEY use this wrong-footing technique all the time, and it's about time we got our own back. I'm just going to get out my old "Steptford Wives" video now. Damn, I forgot, I've worn it out.
Aren't I aweful, Leedsman.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Great idea as well, Leedsman. Whenever I want to get into trouble, attempting to discuss my wife's weight is a great way to ensure that major trouble instantly ensues....

Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Reckon it would be "fine"?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

I've been unable to find the .pdf file that serves as the manual to allow us to interpret all of these Engineering Test Mode codes. Anybody out there have it? If so, can you post it here so we can all print it out and keep it in our cars? Thanks....

Old 04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

My message about it is here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...014#post185626

(and it includes the URL)

John

Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks much. To get the full benefit from Engineering Test Mode, looks like we'll all have to learn to read hexadecimal code. Guess I'll Google it and get started on my ABCs....

Old 04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Thanks much. To get the full benefit from Engineering Test Mode, looks like we'll all have to learn to read hexadecimal code. Guess I'll Google it and get started on my ABCs....
Jon,

Any $10 scientific calculator will convert it for you I think the scientific calculator option in windows might as well.
But basically it's a base 16 number system. 0-9, A(10), B(11), C(12), D(13), E(14), F(15).

George

Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Jon,

Any $10 scientific calculator will convert it for you I think the scientific calculator option in windows might as well.
But basically it's a base 16 number system. 0-9, A(10), B(11), C(12), D(13), E(14), F(15).

George
In everyone"s opinion which is the mosy vital test? Im sick of trying to figure out this mumbo jumbo.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think any of them are vital. Not many are hex, and although DTCs are they don't need converting - except the way I gave examples. (All DTCs from code readers are hex, you just don't realise it most of the time.)

Bear in mind the DTCs (if any) are ONLY those known to / stored in the ICM. You could have others, or none, in the PCM. Ditto the TCM, HLCM, RCM, etc.

Any you can't figure out, just post and I'll convert. This thing was aimed at their own internal tech guys not jag (well, Ford) owners LOL

Quick Reply: Engineering Test Mode?