S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fault code reader

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Default fault code reader

getting ready to buy a code reader and there is a newer version of the i930, the iCarsoft LRII i930. about 45 bucks more than the older model. anyone have experience or input on this model?

Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the i930 which I use. I set it up to read on automatic and it has worked very well on the abs fault. I don't know if it can read the engine faults.
I use it on a 2003 3.0 v6 sport with manual gearbox so you will have to wait and see if can be used on an automatic gearbox.

Best way is to buy one from a firm that you can get your money back from if it does not work something like Amazon.

Last edited by Ducmon; 04-18-2017 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM

So after debating the scanner thing and talking with members, I am now waffling again. The prospect of setting up the Mongoose and somehow bricking my car scares the *%$# out of me. A very savvy member says that the ELM and a good software program combined with the i930 should do me fine combined with the JTIS, EPC and the forum. Any thoughts?

ps - cleaned up the curb rash on wheels and recoated with Rust-oleum's Hammered Gray. This stuff is hard as nails and has glass dust in it. Makes for a nice textured and glossy finish.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I like my iCarsoft 930 very much..

Old 04-29-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

^^ I like mine as well, although it is not perfect. It will communicate with both of our Jaguars, but it refuses to communicate with Wayne's (cjd777) 2000 XK8....

Old 04-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
^^ I like mine as well, although it is not perfect. It will communicate with both of our Jaguars, but it refuses to communicate with Wayne's (cjd777) 2000 XK8....
I read about some having trouble so that's why I bought mine from an ebay seller with 100% feedback and a 30day return policy. I also heard customer support was almost nonexistent so if for any reason I didn't like it right off the bat it was going back.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

iCarsoft Customer Support? Sorry, there is no such animal. Those guys are a joke. They never answer their phone and if they bother to respond to your e-mail, it will say something like "try downloading the software from our website again"....

You are on your own with their i930 scanner. Make certain you understand that before you order one....

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 AM

Jon, what are you using?

Old 04-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

I have the iCarsoft i930 for the Jaguar-specific modules and a generic OBDII scanner for the engine codes and our two other vehicles....

Old 04-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

To date, have resisted adding to comments here . . . thousands of similar posts in hundreds of similar threads elsewhere throughout our forums . . . but, IMHO, and seemingly not refuted by anything here so far . . . it's hard to go past (a) the simple ELM327 device with a smart phone app like Torque, backed up by (b) a Win tablet running SDS off a Mongoose Pro for the tougher stuff. Yes, there are caveats about the latter but in several years experience with several versions of h/w & s/w, I am far from alone in finding it comprehensive and reliable.

Total cost for (a) is less than $20 here, while (b) will slug you maybe $200-$300 including the tablet which, as a brilliant bonus, can be dedicated to holding all your manuals, TSBs, JF write-ups, pics etc etc . . . thousands of pages of reference resources, and all neatly tucked into the glove box. The sole occasion the latter let me down was following an ABS rural roadside "failure to proceed" (beyond ELM327's scope) when I discovered it was still at home in one of the WRONG glove boxes!

It appears that we do have broad agreement that every OBDII fitted Jaguar should have (at least) a basic scan tool in the glove box. IMHO, anyone trying to maintain a modern classic Jaguar who either can't afford, or can't understand the need for, a $20 diagnostic tool, made a very poor choice of car indeed . . . or, has limitless wads of cash to pay others for what he or she can't do themselves.

It takes no rocket science or dexterity to plug in a simple scan tool, read and report the fault codes and get advice on possible causes . . . knowledge that, even if you then resort to using professionals, presents you and your car as well informed and discriminating.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-30-2017, 10:43 PM

Ken - thanks for your input. there's plenty of support for anyone who has enough brains and a mad streak to figure this out. Where the *&^% do you park all your cats? V12 Daimler VDP, now I bet that was a sweet car.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hey Stu, so glad you took my post as productive . . . re-reading after posting had me worried it sounded a "know-it-all put down" . . . never intended.

Of past Jags? Great memories, but my avatar, and even my member id are there to remind me of humble introductions, initial naivety, and plenty of catastrophes along the learning path. My fave moments of that ex WA Governor's golden Daimler VDP both concern my dear departed wife and Jag co-pilot for nearly 50 years . . . her being nudged by our youngsters that, even across outback Oz highway, 200kph was "a bit quick" . . . later, watching her laboriously fill one tank, move to opposite side and start again, whereupon a wag in waiting car hailed her with -

"HEY, yer majesty, we love your fabulous car . . . but leave some petrol for us!"

Shed is full of current litter in Ken's Kattery . . . but, aw heck, I just found another howling for rescue. Fortunately, my 3 adult kids have their favourites, so now I'm setting aside for grandkids too. Heck, it's fun, with so many endangered ones out there at give-away prices . . . provided one learns which to choose to fix. I love 'em.

More so, I love sharing that love on these forums . . . continually learning and helping others do so too.
Cheers and best wishes,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

i have an icarsoft I930 JLR .
its very good , i have been meaning to post for a wile after updating my soft wear on it a wile back , i can some how read&clear engine codes as well as read all 22 modules and clear there codes . and confirmed with SDD that the modules were cleared of all codes .
defiantly buy from ebay seller with 100% feed back as i did . icarsoft and there one engineer are a joke to deal with .

Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

oh year , those Zeus wheels look superb . nice work .

Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Default wheels

Originally Posted by Datsports
oh year , those Zeus wheels look superb . nice work .
yeah, thanks. funny part is that the epoxy coating is so thick on these wheels that the rash has to be REALLY bad to cut the alloy. So one wheel took me 10 minutes another took 2 1/2 hours to get the edge smoothed out. Took 2 cans of rust-oleum but the bitch is that the second can had a much better hammering effect. the company sent me a refund on the four cans i bought when i whinned to them about that.