Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM Antenna not functioning.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default FM Antenna not functioning.

Forums have been slow lately so I thought I would burden you guys with a problem of mine:

Recently had my windows retinted with %3 all the way around and %35 on the windshield.. Anyways I removed the entire rear deck and rear pillar covers during the installation to get the tint to go down to the edge of the rear window and under the break light.. So as you know they use a lot of water to install window tint and everything on the rear deck was soaked and the day after it was finished I noticed that my radio no long has any reception, neither FM nor AM..

So I am wondering whether:
the antenna was on the glass like some cars and it was torn when removing the old tint?
or if there is a module for it that could have been damaged by the water?
or if its more likely that a wire got pulled out during the package tray/rear deck removal?

Thanks, Eric

Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Default RE: FM Antenna not functioning.

ITS THE TOP 2 GRID WIRES ON THE REAR DEFOGGER IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME ON THIS ONE, PULL BACK THE D POST TRIM THAT THE SHOULDER BELT GOES THROUGH ON THE DRIVERS SIDE AND MAKE SURE THEY HOOKED IT BACK UP

Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks brutal, I forgot to thank you out for helping me with this one..

Unfortunately I have another question: I bought the newest map disc from NavTeq for myself at christmas time and put it in my car (I previously had no DVD and just learned to live without navigation) So after I put the disc in, everything loaded fine: all maps, destinations, poi's, etc.. but the system shows a satellite symbol with a "no" line through it and it cannot seem to get a signal at all.. I drove the car around for 3 days and it picked up the satellites once for 23 seconds, and then never again.

So I though back to early december when I had my tint done and remembered that they used a metallic tint on all of the windows; so after some extensive research online I concluded that the metal in the tint was interfering with the signals to the gps antenna below the back window. So today I went back to the tinting place and had them pull the metallic tint on the back window off and replace it with carbon. While removing the package tray I finally found the loose wire going to the FM AM amplifier, but once the tint was removed, I drove the car around and still had no signal..

So I called up my buddy whose a tech for Jaguar Ft. Pierce and he immediately told me that the metallic tint definitely had nothing to do with my NAV not working and he said it was more likely the antenna under the package tray was bad. I had already argued with the window shop about using the improper tint so I had to let them reinstall carbon instead of metallic (they used %10 and now it looks completely different than the other windows and I'm furious, but I won't even go there right now [:@][:@])

So my friend said the antenna was to blame, but I was wondering what you think would cause me to get no signal??

Thanks in advance for you replies, Eric

Old 01-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to bump my topic to the top, but has anyone else had a problem with their NAV not getting a signal??

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my windows tinted like yours. I had the sirius antenna installed on the rear deck. After the tint the sat radio stopped working. It WAS the tint. Apparently the metallic in the tint does block the signal. I had to move the antenna to the rear roof and I covered it with a painted to match shark fin.

I do not know where the sat nav antenna is located but the if it worked prior to the tint and then didn't after it seems the tint would be the problem.