S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank seals are leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

[QUOTE=JagV8;463881]1320 - that may be a different problem (but it shouldn't have occurred!)

Did yours only smell with no visible leak?
Consequence:
IF THE AMOUNT OF FUEL IS ABOVE THE FDM, JPM, OR CV APERTURES, FUEL MAY BE DISCHARGED ONTO THE GROUND. FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Aren't those at the top? Well above the level you put?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Originally Posted by HIJaged
Honolulu Jaguar got approval to provide the gas tank seal repair free of charge to me! All I have to do now is wait for the parts which could take anywhere from 4 days to 3 weeks. They have provided me with a dodge charger for as long as I need it; free as well! I have to say that I am very satisfied with my service rep and the research she did. Thanks again all my friends here in Jaguar Forums for your suggestions.
Great news HIJaged, much better than shelling out $4K.

It's just a pity that they didn't know about the recall in the first place.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Awesome HiJag!. The Jag dealer gave you a happy ending...er, ? Well, we're all pleased with the resolution.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Well done HIJag. Let us know if the new tank indeed resolves your issue....

Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Default Located cause of my STR gas leak

Originally Posted by 1320racer
My 05 STR may have the same issue!

I went to fill my gas tank three weeks ago and gas began pouring out all over the ground. Initially, I was upset and was thinking the pump's auto-shut-off did not work. Gas was everywhere! My tank now only holds six gallons, any more and it leaks.

I'll take a look at the car myself this morning. I'll try to get it into the dealer this week and let you all know what is found.
The cause for my gas tank leaking was the outer retaining ring (located under the rear passenger back seat) was almost split. I installed a new outer ring and seal and all is fine now.

under this seat
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-under-seat.jpg
remove this cover/seal
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-under-seat-pic-cover-.jpg
disconnect wires
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-under-seat-_wire-disconnected.jpg
ring removed showing crack
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-split-outer-ring.jpg
new outer ring
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-new-outer-ring.jpg
new outer ring pn
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-new-ring-gas-tank_part-number.jpg
new seal
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-retaining-ring-gasket-pic.jpg
new seal pn
Fuel tank seals are leaking!-new-retaining-ring-gasket-.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Fuel tank seals are leaking!-ring-gas-tank.jpg   Fuel tank seals are leaking!-new-ring-gas-tank.jpg   Fuel tank seals are leaking!-outer-retaining-ring-pn.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
hollywooddippa (01-31-2017)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't believe that dealer didn't know about that recall. Either that dealer is only a couple years old or the tech that work on your car has
only been with jaguar a
couple years and isn't acquainted with the recalls/bulletins.
I have done at least two hundred of the stype gas tank recalls. as I recall it covered all the 2005's and consisted of removing the tank and then using a gauge sent by jag to measur the opening of the flange. If it was too big or too small or had excessive grind marks or large gouging the tank got replace with the new "hybrid" tank. If the flange opening passed you would then install the updated flange seals and then smoke test the tank.

If I was you I would've wanting to know for sure if your car was eligible for the recall, if it was done, and what was performed. Your dealer will be able to search "DDW" history to see what the warranty history of your car for it's lifetime.

I'm gonna guess that one of three thing happened. Either the recall was never done. The recall was done and one of the flange rings cracked when replacing the seals. Or the tank was replaced and one the seals failed.

if you could request the old parts and take some pictures for us to see.

Austin

Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 AM

- The Whole Story -

I purchased my STR in early 2008 with 7,025 miles. Now, after knowing about all the recalls, I called the dealer last month and had them do a search using my VIN. They found the gas tank was replaced in 2007 -- before I purchased the car.

In the first month of owning the vehicle I noticed issues with the gas gauge. After driving to "0 miles to empty" it still only took ~14 gallons to completely fill the tank; 4 gallons shy of what it should hold. The dealer replaced the gauge and said they "calibrated" the system several times during my repeated visits. After all their work, it seemed that nothing had changed. After again running the tank to Empty "E" and the computer indicated "0 miles to Empty" I was still able to drive 88 miles and did not run out of gas. The dealer said there was nothing wrong and had nothing else to fix.?.?.? I just got tired of the problem and their inability to fix it. I just stopped my fight completely after the warranty passed.

The picture is not super clear but you can see I took a picture of the split retaining ring. I still have the cracked retaining ring as I did the work myself, not the dealer.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Well done HIJag. Let us know if the new tank indeed resolves your issue....
The new tank did indeed resolve my issue. All is well.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default My Fuel Smell Problem

It's taken me a while, but I felt this would be relevant to all members. I too developed a fuel smell "INSIDE the Cockpit" of the car which seemed to get strong and stronger over time.

I noticed after a while my mileage going down too, i.e. trip from Rockville MD to Harrisburg PA straight up 270 and 15 driving very spiritedly, would burn about a quarter tank of gas. The trip is about 129 miles door to door not withstanding some radical traffic.

Suddenly, my fuel consumption went up and the smell increased. I followed 1320racer's guide believing my problem was the same and it was. The problem for me, however, was my fuel pump assembly and float were "different", so the parts I bought I couldn't put on to fix my problem.

It appears with the original recall on my tank, they replaced the tank but never the fuel sending assembly so I had the same stinky part on that was considered faulty in the first place. I'm attaching the pictures of the problem so all can see and you should well know, Jaguar in Bethesda Maryland, fixed the problem at no cost to me.

The first photo shows the cracked ring on the float side which was beneath the back seat behind the passenger seat of the vehicle.

The next photo shows the Fuel pump assembly itself which was beneath the back seat behind the drivers side of the vehicle. As you can see, the fuel pump side was very "juicy" and an absolute danger because there were electrical wires to feed the pump there.

If anyone needs the parts that 1320racer specified, I have one rubber gasket and one plastic seal I'll offer for free but you'll have to pay the shipping. Truth be known, this problem is really Jaguar's problem and we should not be required to repair this problem ourselves.

My situation was "PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS" because of the amount of fuel that was leaking from the seal. I even thought after seeing this photo, imagine if some fuel had managed to make it's way down the fuel sending hose near the rear disk brake................

With that heat, there would have been an instant ignition..... Don't take that smell lightly gents... Go demand they fix it now!!! Norri provided the specific recall documentation and if you take pictures like I did, they will have no recourse but to fix it even if it's been repaired once before. I'm enclosing some additional photo's to better show the problem

Fuel tank seals are leaking!-cracked-float-retainer-ring-1photo.jpg

Fuel tank seals are leaking!-fp1photo.jpg

Fuel tank seals are leaking!-fp2photo.jpg

Fuel tank seals are leaking!-fp3photo.jpg

Fuel tank seals are leaking!-fp4photo.jpg

Norri (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Generally the 05 cars have been fixed (under Recall R176) I understood but I suppose any car can develop a fault 5-10 years later. Good advice not to ignore it and I sure hope no-one would - in any car!

Last edited by JagV8; 05-29-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Just need to be sure about this...

If it's a safety recall, is there some point in time after which Jaguar would not have to accept responsibility?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM

When they replaced mine originally (as you can see, my seals were very different than yours), they put the same type of "faulty seals" back on. Yours has a modified fuel deliver system and a different kind of seal which mine now does also. They did not argue at all recognizing that there was a "FAULT' with the original parts.

Think about it, I surely didn't go beneath the seats and make either of those parts fail. They failed of their own accord. There are lots of customers that are experiencing the same thing we've experienced and one complain was filed as recently as November of 2012. Here's a link to the site and the attached two documents that were filed with safecar.gov

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...Results.action

My car was "leaking gas" as a result of the problem. Seals of that nature are not wear and tear but clearly a hazard based fault in design. Here's another customers complaint letter filed and the agencies response. Note the DATE...

z1CL-10485504-6509.pdf

z2RL-10485504-6536.pdf

Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Usually a recall means they contact owners to bring car in for a fix. And auto-apply the fix if any car arrives for any work (service or whatever). Of course some owners ignore recalls...

Similarly, some franchises can't apply a known fix properly. Pathetic but true.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-11-2016)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

If it is an official government safety recall then the manufacturer is required to fix it. Looks like there is a ten year time limit.

Just make sure that an "Official" recall has been issued. This means the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and it must be listed on the government site.

As I posted before the 2005 S Type has only one official safety recall and that is for the fuel tank.

Last edited by tbird6; 05-29-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Robinb (05-29-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
If it is an official government safety recall then the manufacturer is required to fix it. Looks like there is a ten year time limit.

Just make sure that an "Official" recall has been issued. This means the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and it must be listed on the government site.

As I posted before the 2005 S Type has only one official safety recall and that is for the fuel tank.

Clear as day my esteemed colleague. When you go here
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Once you click the tab that shows Vehicle Safety and sub category Recalls and defects, it takes you here
Recalls & Defects | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Which in turn takes you here where the actual reports are filed. The link below is a higher level link from where I pulled the the PDF files that were provided as an illustration.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

The recall was for the Tank and or... the seals.....

Report Receipt Date: OCT 31, 2006
NHTSA Campaign Number: 06V418000
Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
All Products Associated with this Recall
Details
18 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: JAGUAR CARS LTD
SUMMARY:
SOME PASSENGER VEHICLES MAY HAVE FUEL TANKS IN WHICH THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM), JET PUMP MODULE (JPM), AND/OR CLUSTER VALVE (CV) SEALS ARE NOT PROPERLY RETAINED IN THE FUEL TANK. THIS MAY RESULT IN ILLUMINATION OF THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL), OR A FUEL ODOR.
CONSEQUENCE:
IF THE AMOUNT OF FUEL IS ABOVE THE FDM, JPM, OR CV APERTURES, FUEL MAY BE DISCHARGED ONTO THE GROUND. FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
REMEDY:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANKS TO DETERMINE IF REVISED SEALS MAY BE USED TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE. IF NOT, DEALERS WILL THEN REPLACE THE ENTIRE FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY. DUE TO PROBLEMS IN OBTAINING THE REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS, THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 29 THROUGH MARCH 30, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT JAGUAR AT 1-800-452-4827.
NOTES:
JAGUAR RECALL NO. R176. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

Mine was remedied because they replaced the tank, however, they installed the same faulty Seals which were to be removed. If you look at the seal 1320racer had, that was the original "revised seal". Mine was the original original that was shipped with the vehicle from manufacturer. They replaced not only the seals this time, but the entire fuel sending assembly including the float, the fuel pump and all electronics and hoses associated with the delivery system.

I'm merely mentioning it because if my car had the problem, there are likely others that will be entitled to the same benefit even at this late date because it was a manufacturer problem.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-11-2016)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Thanks for your details, David....

Our 2005 S-Type's fuel tank was replaced under this recall prior to me purchasing it in December 2008. Your experience causes me to wonder whether our fuel sending assembly and seals were also replaced as part of the recall. I currently have confirmation only that the necessary fuel tank replacement recall was done. Guess I have some digging to do with Jaguar in an effort to determine what parts were (and more importantly, were not) part of this recall performed on our car....

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Docuzzie
It's taken me a while, but I felt this would be relevant to all members. I too developed a fuel smell "INSIDE the Cockpit" of the car which seemed to get strong and stronger over time.

I noticed after a while my mileage going down too, i.e. trip from Rockville MD to Harrisburg PA straight up 270 and 15 driving very spiritedly, would burn about a quarter tank of gas. The trip is about 129 miles door to door not withstanding some radical traffic.

Suddenly, my fuel consumption went up and the smell increased. I followed 1320racer's guide believing my problem was the same and it was. The problem for me, however, was my fuel pump assembly and float were "different", so the parts I bought I couldn't put on to fix my problem.

It appears with the original recall on my tank, they replaced the tank but never the fuel sending assembly so I had the same stinky part on that was considered faulty in the first place. I'm attaching the pictures of the problem so all can see and you should well know, Jaguar in Bethesda Maryland, fixed the problem at no cost to me.

The first photo shows the cracked ring on the float side which was beneath the back seat behind the passenger seat of the vehicle.

The next photo shows the Fuel pump assembly itself which was beneath the back seat behind the drivers side of the vehicle. As you can see, the fuel pump side was very "juicy" and an absolute danger because there were electrical wires to feed the pump there.

If anyone needs the parts that 1320racer specified, I have one rubber gasket and one plastic seal I'll offer for free but you'll have to pay the shipping. Truth be known, this problem is really Jaguar's problem and we should not be required to repair this problem ourselves.

My situation was "PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS" because of the amount of fuel that was leaking from the seal. I even thought after seeing this photo, imagine if some fuel had managed to make it's way down the fuel sending hose near the rear disk brake................

With that heat, there would have been an instant ignition..... Don't take that smell lightly gents... Go demand they fix it now!!! Norri provided the specific recall documentation and if you take pictures like I did, they will have no recourse but to fix it even if it's been repaired once before. I'm enclosing some additional photo's to better show the problem

Attachment 44279

Attachment 44280

Attachment 44281

Attachment 44282

Attachment 44283
I have the same issue as this. The tank was replaced under warranty but the dealership said they would need to run a diagnostics to see if the cause is due to the previous recall and/or the installation of. My guess is they are going to try to pull a fast one and just charge me for a diagnostics and say its a sepearate issue. So I am just going to do it myself. I have attempted to load the JTIS and it is freezing up on me every time I try anything. I have windows 8 and not sure if that is the propblem. Can anyone help with the procedures? Maybe post some prints screens of the instructions. The main 2 thing is the quick connector line and the best way to remove it and the other is removing the the retaining clamp that looks similar to a worm drive but appears to need a specialty tool. The style of retaining ring is like the one in the picture I quoted. Also I have read that you should drop the entire tank to do this repairhas anyone repaired this through the quick access whole located under the rear passenger seat? Any help will be appreciated....hopefully I can get the JTIS working soon.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 AM

I suggest you get pictures. It's very easy to do. The 2005's have two latches (if you run your hand along the seam where the seat cushion meets you'll feel that latch. There is no tool required to release the latch, simply pull it and lift the seat.

Do this on both sides, driver and passenger, then refer to the photo's 1320racer has where his son shows the rubber divet. Use a screw driver to pry beneath it and remove it. Take the photo's (mine were taken with a cellphone) print and give that to the dealership. Any diagnostic required to make sure things are right and in order should be "included" in the recall repair and not be an out of pocket charge to you whatsoever.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe argue it's emissions-related and should be 10 year warranty?

No idea if 10 year's true...

Quick Reply: Fuel tank seals are leaking!