S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guess where i am......

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default guess where i am......

I'm typing this on my phone.... As I sit here in my str.... Listening to the sound of the emergency flashers.... Smelling the hot oil underneath me.... Waiting for the tow truck.
Whatever the nose was that I thought was the supercharger coupler... Came apart and grenaded the motor.
I'm pretty depressed about it right now. I'm going to have to make a decision over the next couple of days bout whether I should repair or part it. (

Anybody have a used motor they want to sell?

Anybody parted one recently? What are they worth in parts?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm so sorry . I would imagine that the price of buying an engine of unknown condition and uncertain mileage (I never believe what they say), paying crate shipping, and having a shop install it (possibly even doing a bad job) would exceed the value of a replacement car. I think its time to part it out. FWIW, I sold my OEM STR 18" wheels/tires for $1,000.00 to an owner of a Lincoln LS about a week after I posted it on Craigslist, and I had multiple inquiries. Thats a start. I'm sure a non-STR S Type or a Lincoln LS owners would LOVE to have the big Brembo brakes. These are for sure in demand items, I would happily pay $1,000.00 for all four corners if my car had rinky-dinky brakes and would feel like I got the bargain of a lifetime, maybe you can get even more. If your headlights work, which I assume they do, you could probably sell those too for a few hundred as these cars have the drooping issues that most people dont know how to fix with a simple screw. Perhaps even the bodykit can be sold to a non-STR S Type owner.

The rest will probably sell more slowly. I sold a Carlsson bodykit for a Mercedes after trying to sell it for four months. People like body kits (i.e., bumpers with fog lights, side skirts).

I would def get on a Lincoln LS website, a lot of those owners hook up their cars and look for STR wheels. If the brakes work too on an LS, even better...

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Oh damn....

Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

What a huge bummer. You only had it for what, 5 months? Where in the Rocky Mountains are you?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Man..... what a drag, I feel for you.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
What a huge bummer. You only had it for what, 5 months? Where in the Rocky Mountains are you?
Salt Lake. That means that the car has been sitting, snowbound, for most of the time I've owned it.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Wow- that sucks. If it's just the supercharger it may not have 'grenaded' the engine. Have a good look once it's back home and in good light.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Wow- that sucks. If it's just the supercharger it may not have 'grenaded' the engine. Have a good look once it's back home and in good light.

yeah.... I'm really trying hard to think of anything that could spill hot oil that way, short of a hole in the block or oil pan......, y'know?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts
Old 03-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sorry to read that
I suppose it has to be worth finding out what actually happened and how much oil from where.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Man that sucks!!! DOnt despair my friend, I did some looking for you this morning and lookie what I found!!

Jaguar XJ8 XK8 s Type 2003 2006 Engine Motor 4 2L Supercharged 56K | eBay

This is less than I paid for my new transmission, and the good news only 56K original miles!!! Looks like a complete long block with SC attached!!

DOnt part it out drop a motor in in and lets roll! It looks like I might be getting transfered out your way (Draper) in the next 60-90 days so we can roll our sleeves up together and get you cat back on the road!!

The following 5 users liked this post by cbharley10:
bfsgross (03-03-2013), JOsworth (03-03-2013), McJaguar (03-03-2013), Norri (03-03-2013), Sean B (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Damn dude, very sorry to hear about what happened!

You said it was possibly related to the noise of the supercharger/supercharger coupler you've been hearing?

What happened exactly, you were driving along, you heard a bang and the motor died?

Did you pop the hood, did it throw the supercharger belt?

Did you try cranking it again, will the starter still spin the engine?

Are you going to tow it home? If you're willing to tear into it yourself, jack her up, locate the source of the oil leak (although as you suggested, definitely not a good sign in itself), remove the supercharger belt, spin the blower pulley, take things apart and investigate perhaps?

if you sourced a junkyard engine, and did the swap yourself, might not be too too costly to get her going again,

then again, makes me think of recent member ChampionAR who went through a lot of trouble to replace his blown STR motor with a junkyard sourced one, only to end up finding out it was seized too, i think he gave up on it and posted the car as-is on eBay a few weeks ago.

Maybe consider going the part out route, i'm sure you could recoup some costs toward your next car or STR, I would personally be interested in a few bits myself,

Sorry again to hear about what happened, keep us updated with what you do,

Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Check with www.car-part.com as well

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

That sucks!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Mcjaguar, your scenario happened to former member, Mafioso. His car was under warranty, thus recieved a new motor. Chris (cbharley) found an affordable low mileage long block. The new trans and a soon to be low mileage motor will certify your STR as fresh. My 03 STR has 140k on the clock, so I understand one day she'll require a heart transplant. One way or another, we all must go through this. Keep your chin up pal. The sun will soon shine as the bummer dust settles.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Y'all are swell. I mean that. It's nice to come here and hear your empathy, as opposed to my older children, and my neighbors who immediately ask me "How fast were you going?"....

(of course... I WAS going a little ... ahem... F-A-S-T at the time )

So a little narrative, I guess:
It was a sunny day, humidity high because it was going to rain, so I took it out for a spin yesterday evening. I told my wife I was headed to the grocery-store (less than 1/4 mile away) and headed for a fun cloverleaf on the freeway a few miles from my home.

This particular clover has some fun decreasing-radius turns, and one of them is off-camber at the exit. It's a hoot to turn-off the TCM and let it all hang-out on the exits (when nobody else is around, of course).

About mid-way through the 2nd ramp, I caught up to a "playa" in a new-ish Audi RS4. He saw me coming and went for it. I hit my marks and was on the gas and headed around him when I heard the turbo spool next to me, so I knew I had him. But he was going to make me earn it.... So I stayed in it. The trans shifted just as the motor banged off the rev-limiter, and I was doing about 120 when the "rattle" (which I previously decided was a S/C coupler, and would've fixed this spring) got louder. It didn't go away when I let off the gas immediately. There were a few seconds of "well, I guess now I HAVE to fix it"... and then it felt like the S/C locked-up: severe loss of power, a bit of a shudder, then a noise, then a cloud, and then a bang-bang-bang-bang- clunk....

The motor was still running (sort of) when I pulled off the road, but died immediately when I shifted to park. I got out and the smell of hot oil was VERY bad. I popped the hood and all looked fine, but the trail of oil behind me was telling.

So I called the tow-truck and got it home last night. I'm trying to make sure I don't even touch it until I've calmed-down and can look at it objectively. But to me, that's all the signs of a rod through the block or the pan. Yes, I'll disassemble enough to be sure, before I do anything else with it, but I need to prepare myself for the eventuality that I will find what I think I will find.

So what caused it? I dunno. I'm betting that the rattle was NOT a S/C Coupler; I'm betting it was a wrist-pin. And then banging it off the rev-limiter, it probably came undone.

CBHarley, yes, I saw that motor on Ebay too. I wish I could find a good short-block, as opposed to a complete motor. If I could find a short-block for $1k-ish, this would be a no-brainer. But buying a complete motor for $3500 is less obvious.

Question: did any other vehicle share this block / bottom-end?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Hmm... How did you bounce off the rev limiter? Were you using the J-gate?

I bounced off the limiter once going from 2-3 before I realized about the 'short-shift' condition in 1-2-3. Since then if I'm racing to redline I just leave it in auto, sport on, a/c off, dsc off, foot WOT,

Please take it apart see what you may find, although it sure sounds like you window'd your motor...

Old 03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Rick - Good point, though they do provide a short warranty and if it was a Sandy would they?

Quick Reply: guess where i am......