S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Reset questions

Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Hard Reset questions

This was posted by user Gas Turbine on the other Jaguar Forum in 2008.. I hope it's ok that I just copied and pasted it here.. These are more detailed instructions to this procedure than I have read before. I'd like to know what you guys think of this..Thanks in advance
__________________________________________________ _________

It is my experince that this procedure must be followed to the letter on reconnecting the battery. I have posted this previously but could not find the link, still always worth a reminder.

Following reconnection of the battery, the engine should be allowed to idle as the stored idle and drive values contained within the powertrain control module (PCM) have been lost. This may cause driveablity concern if the following procedure is not carried out.

1) Connect the battery negative cable.Tighten to 4 Nm.

2) Start the engine and allow to idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

3) Switch the engine off.Restart the engine and allow to idle for approximately two minutes (this will allow the PCM to learn the idle values).

4) Apply and hold the brake pedal, select drive and allow the engine to idle for a further two minutes.

5) Drive the vehicle for approximately five miles/eight kilometers of varied driving to enable the PCM to complete it´s learning strategy.

6) Reset the audio unit and climate control assembly to original settings to avoid customer complaint.

He has / had a 2002 Jaguar S type R in 2008

Old 01-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

See if this helps.

Link.http://www.jagrepair.com/HardRestProcedure.htm

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 01-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenFly
This was posted by user Gas Turbine on the other Jaguar Forum in 2008.. I hope it's ok that I just copied and pasted it here.. These are more detailed instructions to this procedure than I have read before. I'd like to know what you guys think of this..Thanks in advance

It is my experince that this procedure must be followed to the letter on reconnecting the battery. I have posted this previously but could not find the link, still always worth a reminder.

Following reconnection of the battery, the engine should be allowed to idle as the stored idle and drive values contained within the powertrain control module (PCM) have been lost. This may cause driveablity concern if the following procedure is not carried out.

2) Start the engine and allow to idle until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

3) Switch the engine off.Restart the engine and allow to idle for approximately two minutes (this will allow the PCM to learn the idle values).

4) Apply and hold the brake pedal, select drive and allow the engine to idle for a further two minutes.

5) Drive the vehicle for approximately five miles/eight kilometers of varied driving to enable the PCM to complete it´s learning strategy.

6) Reset the audio unit and climate control assembly to original settings to avoid customer complaint.

I expect that's adequate but I think it would be better to follow the Jaguar procedure for the S-Type. It's similar but not the same. It's in JTIS (the workshop manual).

Further, if any OBD monitors have not set then see JTIS again (codes PDF).

The following users liked this post:
ZenFly (01-25-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

to avoid customer complaint.

That's the shop process that returns a car to a waiting customer so he doesn't wonder why his favourite radio station is missing or why the car idles differently for a few minutes.

Not much value and just wasted time and fuel for a DIY type.

The following users liked this post:
ZenFly (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
That's the shop process that returns a car to a waiting customer so he doesn't wonder why his favourite radio station is missing or why the car idles differently for a few minutes.

Not much value and just wasted time and fuel for a DIY type.
Ahh,, this makes sense for that particular procedure.. Thanks

Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 416 Posts

After battery reconnection, before cranking, Ignition in II, slowly depress the accelerator through to it's full span, hold 5 seconds, slowly release, wait 5 seconds. Repeat a total of three times. Ignition to 0.