S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlining went on FIRE while replacing new liner

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Headlining went on FIRE while replacing new liner

A small disaster to my Jag yesterday. The headliner was down in several places when I purchased the car and I was looking for some time for a shop to replace the liner.
Eventually I found one that has the correct lining, and the headliner was out of the car in 20 minutes from the back door.
I read on the forum about taking it out through the rear windshield or from the back by folding the rear seats. Those guys took it easily from the rear door in no time. The cleaned it, removed all the old residues and started to replace the liner. Half of it was already glued in place, and they were waiting for the glue on the other half to set up as required before applying it. No more then 45 minutes from start of job.
Suddenly, the whole thing got on fire and there was no one around at the time!
And I mean a BALL of fire up to the roof of the workshop. A real blaze from the vapors of the glue applied. In no time at all, the whole headliner was totally black and the workers grab it outside before the whole place was on fire. The thing burnt for more then 10 minutes, and it seems it excited itself as it didn't want to go off. Black fumes covered the area and people gathered to see what happened. The headliner is gone.
It turned out that the day was extremely dry and static put the thing on fire!!! The place is aerated, but the vapors were probably at flash point over the surface. That work need to be done with FORCED ventilation - now I know....So take care if someone goes to that routine.

Obviously - the shop will have to find a replacement but is is not easy! Not many Jags for parts are available. We found one with sunroof, mine do not have it.
I checked alternatives for new one and found it here
HEADLINING at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Still need to make sure it is the right one for my VIN SAJAA02M07FN80053

It is a big part to send abroad... I need to check my options now.
At the moment the car is without headliner, and I had to take all the sensors that were on the roof to the side - they are connected by an electrical harness.
So a two hours job turned out to be a headache now.
If someone have a source for headliner - please advise....

Edited: I had the idea of taking a pic of the leftovers model badge - and attached it as well..

Attached Thumbnails Headlining went on FIRE while replacing new liner-dsc01358.jpg   Headlining went on FIRE while replacing new liner-dsc01360.jpg   Headlining went on FIRE while replacing new liner-dsc_2750s.jpg  

Last edited by orlee; 02-15-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Bugga.

At least it was OUT of the car, as so many try and do that reglue IN the car.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Bugga.
At least it was OUT of the car, as so many try and do that reglue IN the car.
I think that it can be extremely dangerous if done inside the car.
Worth warn others of using glue to that amount inside the car. It can end in total disaster.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

you never know, might be safer to glue in the car, as the glue fumes might replace enough of the air so the is not enough oxygen to ignite it.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by police666
you never know, might be safer to glue in the car, as the glue fumes might replace enough of the air so the is not enough oxygen to ignite it.
If you can live long enough to do the job without oxygen - you are probably right.
At least - no oxygen when doing the job inside the car will turn your cigar off - so even healthier

Jokes...

Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi to all ...

Wow ... glues that are so volatile and unstable that they self-ignite at room temperature ... and that a workshop using it was unable to identify and control its use?

Please believe that I ask the following in good faith ... Were you there in the workshop at the time, and did you witness this? I am guessing "No" and from your post are you saying no-one else was either?

I am not trouble-making when I say something smells fishy here ... I simply find it incredible (literally) that something so dangerous could be carried out commercially with such apparent indifference. Of course, there are other possible explanations ... but if they are now prepared to meet all costs of replacing your headlining at their expense, you're covered right?

Best wishes <orlee> for a speedy repair.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Hi to all ...
Wow ... glues that are so volatile and unstable that they self-ignite at room temperature ... and that a workshop using it was unable to identify and control its use?

Please believe that I ask the following in good faith ... Were you there in the workshop at the time, and did you witness this? I am guessing "No" and from your post are you saying no-one else was either?
The who;e thing happened in front of us. They called me to the place to certify again the correct color, and while we were approaching near the table where it was laying - the whole thing got on fire. It took us few seconds to digest the situation and by then the whole liner was a ball of haze.
No one was smoking or anything of the matter. So Static electricity may be the cause of ignition. After thought - an area where highly flammable solutions are sprayed over large surfaces are due to fire hazard. The place was aerated and the front doors wide open, but seen from the final results - not enough to take away the vapors.
The fact it never happened at the workshop or at anyone else that repaired his liner is just statistic luck.

And the headliner is missing from the car. I am going to search in junkyards for a headliner - hopping to find a suitable S-Type there..

I suspect It will be a long story unless luck hit me from the good side now.

Just a warning for others - replacing headliners can be dangerous

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Yikes! Glad no one was hurt.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Well I have replaced at least 6 or 7 headliners myself and this is a load of BS!
That shop does not have a clue on what they are doing. Yes glue is very flammable and no it does not start on fire because of static.

I mean think about what your saying? One good way to decide if something is true is to assume it's true and see where it leads you.

Why don't we have reports all over the world of these dangerous headliners bursting into flames? Why is there not a massive safety campaign by concerned governments the world around to stop this terrible thing from happening again? Why is the very first report when the S Type has been on the road since 1999?

See what I mean? Just does not make sense what they are saying. It looks to me like they did not have proper ventilation and the fumes caught on fire.

I think they owe you a new head liner!!

What if your car burned to the ground at a paint shop because of a magic static caused fire would you expect a replacement? Or would you just suck it up and buy another car? You paid for them to fix it NOT burn it up!