Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID HOW TO and EUREKA!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts
Default HID HOW TO and EUREKA!

1. Take the fircken bumper off- I tried for 3 hours yesterday to swap out the HID bulbs in situ and couldn't get the igniter to click into place. 30 minutes to remove bumper and headlights.
2. Remove the headlights to replace the HID low beams. Just do it. So much easier.
3. The REASON you can't "click" the igniter back into place is that when you remove it, it has a tiny "tab" that kicks the tiny plug out. (WHY???? I have NO idea) What happens then is the ring inside the igniter that slides over the pins on the bulb moves out of place and the igniter can't seat properly.
4. This took me two hours to figure out.
5. I unplugged the igniter from it little plug, put an old bulb into it, then removed- this set the ring in position. I then put the igniter back in place and BAM click right in. 2 seconds. I then finagled the igniter plug back into its socket and alls well.

Follow these directions and you will be done, with zero cussing, in about two hours MAX

The following 2 users liked this post by dsnyder586:
Catfan01 (12-20-2020), DougB (05-15-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
1. Take the fircken bumper off- I tried for 3 hours yesterday to swap out the HID bulbs in situ and couldn't get the igniter to click into place. 30 minutes to remove bumper and headlights.
2. Remove the headlights to replace the HID low beams. Just do it. So much easier.
3. The REASON you can't "click" the igniter back into place is that when you remove it, it has a tiny "tab" that kicks the tiny plug out. (WHY???? I have NO idea) What happens then is the ring inside the igniter that slides over the pins on the bulb moves out of place and the igniter can't seat properly.
4. This took me two hours to figure out.
5. I unplugged the igniter from it little plug, put an old bulb into it, then removed- this set the ring in position. I then put the igniter back in place and BAM click right in. 2 seconds. I then finagled the igniter plug back into its socket and alls well.

Follow these directions and you will be done, with zero cussing, in about two hours MAX
I did the same thing...i thought removing the bumper cover was going to be a beast....after giving in i found i could pull it back far enough without complete removal...those ignitors can be tough to get off then completely locked in...you have to have the headlight assembly out to work with...live and learn is what i filed the experience under

Old 05-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

hi
It only takes just over 10 minutes to take the bumper off
I took the bumper off and removed both headlights, split the lights, replaced all the adjusters, put new bulbs in, replaced the bumper and polished the headlight lenses, in just under 3 hours
its so simple to remove the bumper, especially if you look in the stickes which shows you where all the pins are
cheers
Joe

Old 05-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Joedotcom
hi
It only takes just over 10 minutes to take the bumper off
I took the bumper off and removed both headlights, split the lights, replaced all the adjusters, put new bulbs in, replaced the bumper and polished the headlight lenses, in just under 3 hours
its so simple to remove the bumper, especially if you look in the stickes which shows you where all the pins are
cheers
Joe
exactly Joe...I found taking the tires off was a little more space for me....just an extra if using a cordless at the wheelwell.....also with the bumper cover off and the wheels, you can get a good inspection of things that normally are covered up