S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden features that amazed you

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bull27,

Let me preface this by saying I've only had my STR for a short time, and only driven once in the rain: I too set the wiper arm to "Auto" and wondered why it wasn't doing anything in the rain. I figured, "Oh well, I'll just use the manual settings" - I believe I slid the arm to the intermittent setting and once there the auto took over, wiping less with light rain and harder with heavier rain or spray from the road. I haven't driven the car in several weeks due to the mid-east snow, so my apologies if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The auto wipe for the wiper blades are great, I guess I am lucky to have mine working.....When any water hits the windshield it will wipe....and if it is a drizzle type rain fall it will go slowly but as u increase speed/ or rain fall the blades wipe faster.....

The way to set the auto wipers on are.......

Turn it to auto on the arm.....and having the arm pulled all the way down to start, click it up once and it should work for auto wiping......

Incase you didnt know.....

Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Bull27, I agree things should work, including being designed right.

1), 2) & 4) I'm not having problems (I even think the sound is good but maybe I'm deaf or we have different preferences)
3) I'd be more than happy if they'd thought to add a settable chime. However, when Denso (and jag) came up with the system the GPS was still switched to low-res (except for military use) and there was every sign that would never change, so maybe that's the reason it just doesn't know in time to provide better info?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I will try and "follow directions" next time i attempt to use the auto wipers. I turned the knob to auto when it was raining a couple times, didnt work so I said screw it. I always thought it was somewhat of a gimmicky idea anyways but seeing as you guys all like the feature, Ill try to get it to work. The only thing I was doing was turning the knob to auto, didnt mess with the lever at all. We are getting snow tomorrow so ill give it another shot.

I have read one million and 2 threads about the disappointing audio system (ok maybe it a bakers dozen), so I know Im not alone here. Ill probably get to upgrading the speakers and sub one day, but too much work right now to take off all the door covers etc.

RE: GPS. I had one of the first mobile GPS systems, Magellen, thing was huge, not very functional and could only handle a certain region at a time in its memory. I shouldnt even say region, more like a section of a state. Anyways even that thing had a chime the exact moment you needed to turn. I know most of you say, dude you are nit-picking and just look at the GPS to see what street you need to turn onto. Well, you are right, i am nit-picking BUT it is sooooo simple, I think it was just overlooked by Denso. I cant tell you how many times I have taken the wrong turn because it says "turn right soon" and I dont take the right RIGHT! I dont like looking at a GPS system while driving, nor do i believe you should have to to make sure you are turning onto the correct street. It is distracting and a great way to slam into the vehicle in front of you.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

The auto wipe isn't perfect so don't get your hopes up too high.
I guess they wanted 3 settings for it: overridden to off, auto, and overridden to on. So they made it as it is, but it's arguable they picked the wrong way to do those 3.

Er, I have the Alpine premium, is that what you have?

On the GPS, I'm not saying they have it right. I don't think they do. Just trying to second-guess how it came about. I also don't look at the screen when using it and exactly for your reason.

What is wrong so often is that some auto guys made a decision (and probably put real effort into it) but no-one planned a cheap upgrade in case things changed (or any upgrade, most times). Kinda dumb in a fast-changing world. But "hey, we sold the car, now we don't care."

It's like the faults in the ZF tranny ("thelurch") and so on. I expect bugs in a complex product, sadly. But I also expect a prestige marque to put them right and at no extra cost. Doesn't generally happen "Your warranty's up, so tough". Yeah, that's why the residuals are so low and why selling decent numbers of the cars just doesn't happen. Oh well. (But most customers who are bitten walk away and will NOT be back.) Jag are no better than BMW, MB and the others. Probably no worse, either. The losses could be a hint to change but apparently not. Yet so much about the cars is so good, then let down in such daft ways.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 PM

JagV8 100% Agreed.

Yes I have the Alpine, I think all R's came with the "premium" sound. Maybe it is just me coming from a superior system (Bose/Infiniti) to this one that makes me complain about it, could be that I was spoiled with such a fantastic stock system. But my expectations were high buying a prestige marque with an Alpine system. However, the lows just arent there, and believe me I dont bump out with my "gangsta lean" on very often to rap music. Its really with any type of music. It could be that the sub is just terrible, I dont really know, not exactly a car stereo "guy".

Lastly, do you think that there is a posiblity they can include this "turn chime" in the next update DVD? I will probably shoot Denso an email suggesting it, but god knows a) when the update will come out and b) if they will even give a sh*t about my email or even read it for that matter.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The mids and highs on the STR are fine but he subs are ****.......They will be replaced soon.....

Old 02-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe others have replaced the sub and may have posted details?

The nav voice can interrupt the sound system now so doing it immediately before the turn sounds like "just" a software change. Making it settable (not everyone may want it?).... a bit more effort if they have non-volatile storage. You'd have to choose it every trip if they don't

Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never saw that exterior trunk release button either until I bought an owner's manual set on eBay. Well hidden in the chrome. The auto opening windows and sunroof from remote and door key was a cool discovery as well, no pun intended. Too bad you can't close them with the remote.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

The remore may close them if you hold the Lock button down (never tried on the jag, but did on a similarish car I had).

Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
The remore may close them if you hold the Lock button down (never tried on the jag, but did on a similarish car I had).
Nope the "remore"(sorry, couldn't help myself) won't close them... You have to hold the key in the lock position in the door.... Don't know why it is like that but my ex girl friend's 02 Jetta, and my 03 and 04 Accords worked exactly the same.

Last edited by JOsworth; 02-16-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,284 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I think the quickest and cheapest Nav solution is to cave in and buy a small Garmin unit on-line. The on-line sites are always running deals so you can pick up a good one for less than $130. Plus, you can move it around to multiple vehicles so one is all you need. That's what we did and it works like a charm, just as you desire. My wife even set ours to speak in a British accent, very fitting for the S-Type. I was looking for the Richard Pryor setting but I couldn't find it ("Hey muttha$#*%@+, you missed your %#&@*#% turn!")....

I don't see any point in paying for expensive but lousy built-in Nav systems in vehicles when these inexpensive portable units are so much better at a fraction of the cost....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-16-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I was looking for the Richard Pryor setting but I couldn't find it ("Hey muttha$#*%@+, you missed your %#&@*#% turn!")....
Now I would pay good money for that!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto windows up feature is not there for safety reasons. (i'm told). So you can be sure no hands are in the windows when they go up. Less of a problem going down.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I think the quickest and cheapest Nav solution is to cave in and buy a small Garmin unit on-line. The on-line sites are always running deals so you can pick up a good one for less than $130. Plus, you can move it around to multiple vehicles so one is all you need. That's what we did and it works like a charm, just as you desire. My wife even set ours to speak in a British accent, very fitting for the S-Type. I was looking for the Richard Pryor setting but I couldn't find it ("Hey muttha$#*%@+, you missed your %#&@*#% turn!")....

I don't see any point in paying for expensive but lousy built-in Nav systems in vehicles when these inexpensive portable units are so much better at a fraction of the cost....
Funny you say that, Im actually on ebay right now looking at a Garmin 1200 or 1300, possibly a TomTom XL330s. Which model do you have?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by earl08
The auto windows up feature is not there for safety reasons. (i'm told). So you can be sure no hands are in the windows when they go up. Less of a problem going down.
It's not pinch protection...Since the windows and sunroof are all auto up with the switch therefore have pinch protection (put a rolled up towel in the window and hit auto up to demonstrate).

JagV8, what car had the remote close the window....I'm real curious...

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Bull27
Funny you say that, Im actually on ebay right now looking at a Garmin 1200 or 1300, possibly a TomTom XL330s. Which model do you have?
Just to say...I have the TomTom XL340s and love it...Even have a silver Jag as the icon and a Jaguar splash screen at start up...It is really quite good...

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 6,255 Likes on 5,455 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
It's not pinch protection...Since the windows and sunroof are all auto up with the switch therefore have pinch protection (put a rolled up towel in the window and hit auto up to demonstrate).

JagV8, what car had the remote close the window....I'm real curious...
The windows and roof will auto close (global close) from the remote but the function has to be programmed by the dealer.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by norri
The windows and roof will auto close (global close) from the remote but the function has to be programmed by the dealer.
Hmmm... So, it must be a regulatory thing... I knew why my Honda didn't do it from the remote, there wasn't an auto up on the passenger side window. I could not understand why the Jetta didn't, since it had auto up and pinch protection on all 4 windows and the sunroof, yet you needed the key just like in the Jag. I'm gonna ask my dealer 'bout that one.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,284 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Bull27,

She bought the Garmin 205W off amazon.com last October. Paid just under $140 for it. Price has probably dropped even more by now....

Quick Reply: Hidden features that amazed you