Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Interior sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default HVAC Interior sensors

I appologize if Im beating a dead horse, Ive searched the forums looking for the sensors that control the climate control.

Im having the famous Climate control issue, Ive replaced the DCCV valve, and climate control module and Im still having an issue with sopraddic heat and no AC the compressor is not engaging and I just verified the system is charged with 28 oz of freon.

sometimes I have heat from the passenger side but never the driver side.

Any help is appriciated.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,279 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Have you checked the fuses that protect your HVAC servo motors? If the fuses are functioning properly, I'd check the servo motors next....

Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Where are those fuses located?

From searching the forums, it wont hurt to pull the sensors out and clean or replace them, any clue where they are located?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

There are 4 or 5 interior temperature sensors that could be giving you problems. Remove and clean the temperature sensor behind the small grill located directly above where you put the ignition key. I have found this gets a layer of filth built up and can cause all kinds of strange stuff. I replaced this on my wife’s 2003 Lincoln LS after replacing the DCCV and thermostat and coolant. It fixed my heating/cooling problems.

Be aware your lack of heat can also point to the AUX coolant pump failing. Try this before condemning the pump. With the car stationary rev the engine to 2000 rpm and hold it there. Adjust the heat settings to max. If you get heat then let the car idle and see if the heat dies out or stops all the way. If it does then change the pump. If no change then I think you have different problems.

One last thing have you checked or changed your cabin filter?? I have seen these nearly blocked solid and can cause weird temperature problems.

The interior temperature sensors look to be all the same. The Lincoln and Jaguar parts look to be identical too! I have attached a picture of one.

Attached Thumbnails HVAC Interior sensors-2003-s-type-r-inside-temperature-sensor.jpg   HVAC Interior sensors-2003-s-type-r-inside-temperature-sensor-plug.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-24-2017)
Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the AUX coolant pump first appeared in 2003?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Tried the 2k rpm test no change. I guess I'm still too new to view attachments can you embed the images? When I took the cover off that sensor above the ignition it looks like a socket no sensor that i could tell.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Upon looking closer I saw the sensor and it's pretty clean. Where are the other sensors in the cabin?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

First even if the sensor looks clean. Take it out and spray the bulb end with carb cleaner. There is a dirty film you just can't see it. If you are getting that deep into your car buy the JTIS off EBay. They are only about $10 and it will be the best $10 you will ever spend!!!

I can't embed images because they have to be hosted somewhere on the web. Attached is much better because as time goes by people change their web host and all the embedded pictures disappear but the attached images are always there.

One other thing. Did you check that the DCCV is getting power? The Jaguar has wire haness rubbing problems in the wheel well and in the front bumper cover. So you might have a good DCCV but it's just not getting 12 VDC?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

+1 on JTIS, the cleaner, the power, er.... all of it

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

I tried to download the jtis from a link here but I'm having an issue unzipping that puppy.
How do I remove that sensor? Can that sensor also keep the ac compressor from kicking on?

Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

The sensor can indeed stop the A/C compressor. Reading you first post again raises a few more questions. Did you have the dealer download the old climate control module programming and reprogram your new module? Sometimes this is required and sometimes it is not. Does your car have navigation?

I also should have mentioned the cooling system bleeding. Have you bleed the system properly? How has the coolant level and engine temperature been acting?

Finally when the car is running and both sides set to max heat. Check that the hoses running from the DCCV to the heater core are getting hot.

Gbdiver has a good point. I have a 2005 model and am not as familiar with the early 2000-2002 S Type's. I think they also have an AUX pump but I need to check for sure.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Ok I cleaned the sensor with cleaner and no change. On max heat the outlet hoses are getting hot but I still have no heat and the compressor will not kick on. The tstat is functioning corrected system is purged correctly as well. No nav on the car is there another module associated with the climate control?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

How do I remove the discharge temprature sensors out of the evap case? I can't seem to find how those guys come out

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

The temperature sensors are just held in by clips molded into the sensor. Pull and wiggle is the way I get them out. To install they just snap into place. They are tough to get out because of where they are. No room to work!!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Is the return hose from the heater also getting hot? Maybe have a clogged heater core?? You have covered the easy stuff and you might have to go to the dealer next??

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Where is the return line located? The puzzling thing to me is that I have no ac either leading me to belive it's a sensor or a control module.

Also I noticed this morning on my way to work the traction control button does nothing and the "sport" button doesn't light up red but turns the traction control off. Is it possible someone has changed out a module with the wrong one?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

There are three heater hoses coming from the heater core. Two are inputs that you have already checked and the third one is the coolant return from the heater core. If the return is only slightly warm then that would point to a blockage in the heater core.

With your other problems I am thinking that the module you changed out is not talking to the rest of the car. I know my 2003 Lincoln LS when I changed the climate control module the dealer had to reprogram it. Since you don't have navigation I am not sure if Jaguar requires this or not??

I think only a factory tech can answer this. I have looked in the JTIS but did not find any mention of reprogramming? Maybe someone else can look a bit deeper??

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

I put the orginal module back in and no change. I was not able to decipher the jtis to see if the climate control ECM is shared by stability control and traction control since the buttons appear to switched around (sport button turns off traction control. Traction control button does nothing) i'm not stranger to full electronic cars since I had my experiance with the mark viii and EVERYTHING is computer controled as well.

Is the outlet hose in the same area as the inlet hoses?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, all three hoses run together. It's hard to see but two of them connect to the DCCV and the other one does not. The one that does NOT connect to the DCCV is the return hose from the dual heater core.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

I checked the heater hoses all 3 that are grouped together are pretty freaking hot. So no clog in the heater core wheh!! I really didn't want to pull the dash. Can a jag tech chime in and let me know if climate control interface needs to be programed? The local jag dealer wants $135 to diagnose it and $250 to program the module.

Quick Reply: HVAC Interior sensors