S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S Type 2.7 Stuck in Park

Old 03-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar S Type 2.7 Stuck in Park

Hey Guys. This is my first post here. I purchased a 2004 Jaguar S Type with the intention of getting her back up and running. The previous owner tells me it was running up until about 2 months ago, when the gear selector (auto) failed and the car would not move out of park.

He said it used to start, but now it doesn't and the Gearbox Selector is no longer illuminated to say any gear is being selection. I imagine this is why it wont start, but the box is physically in Park as the rear wheels wont move.

I was wathcing American videos on YouTube explaining how to manually adjust the J Gate to get the car into drive, but my J Gate seems different. Also where should I look to get the symbols back up on the dash/ selector.

Finally the battery has now become quite flat, would this effect whether or not the selector displays the current gear selection.

Where should I start? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

First off, these cars will not work properly with a flat battery. Always make sure you have a fully charged battery before troubleshooting, as this car is essentially a rolling computer system. There is a boatload of information already posted on the Jaguar Forum on this issue; use the Advanced Search feature to find it. Also, click the link in my signature for further information on battery maintenance.

Next, neither my 2001 nor my 2003 S-Type has gearshift indicator lights/symbols on the dash. The only indicator lights are on the J gate. Your 2004 might be different, but I doubt it. If the park indicator "P" is not lit or flashing with the key turned on, it might be because your battery is flat.

And finally, there is a ton of info already posted in the Jaguar Forum pertaining to stuck in park issues. There are a few common causes, including a loose shifter cable and problems with the J-gate itself. Here again, advanced search is your friend. You should be able to find loads of information on this topic with a simple search. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

For any 2.7, check both shifter bolts on trans side are there and snugged up.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Welcome to the forum Peter, please post an intro in the new members section when you can.
A good battery is essential, have you checked the two screws securing the shift cable under the car?
A quick search of the forum should get you the details.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, those are the bolts I mentioned.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Yes they are John, you posted while I was typing.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

I figured as much... am hoping the OP will check 'em
and hopefully get lucky with an easy fix

Old 03-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Hello Everyone, thank you for the feedback thus far! Looking forward to getting the Jag up and running.

I managed to get under the car and have a look at the bolts on the side of the gearbox. They are all tight and secure. I also removed all the trim around the J-Gate and got the car out of park and into neutral.

As I might have mentioned earlier the dash displays gearbox fault, handbrake fault. Oh, I also charged the battery and it is full. The car still makes no attempt to start. I've ordered a replacement J-Gate, is there anything else I should look at whilst I wait for the J-gate to arrive?

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Well... there's an interlock with one of the foot brake micro-switches. It could be that. As I recall there are 2 (but check electrical guide to be sure)

Old 03-27-2016, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Well... there's an interlock with one of the foot brake micro-switches. It could be that. As I recall there are 2 (but check electrical guide to be sure)
Would that stop the car from starting? It currently is not starting.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Check previous threads.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Langan
Would that stop the car from starting? It currently is not starting.
Yes. The car needs to 'see' that the transmission is in P or N to start. Since you also cannot move selector out of P (assuming you've first depressed the brake pedal) indicates issues with the J gate assembly, cable, interlock or transmission end.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Yes. The car needs to 'see' that the transmission is in P or N to start. Since you also cannot move selector out of P (assuming you've first depressed the brake pedal) indicates issues with the J gate assembly, cable, interlock or transmission end.
I've managed to get the car out of park and into neutral etc, however it still wont start. This is by moving a piece of plastic inside the j gate. The sports button on the j gate doesn't do anything. I leaning towards a problem on the j gate. Is theew any sensors etc on the transmission that tell the car what gear it is in?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. They're all detailed in the free downloads like JTIS.

Did you check the more likely brake interlock?

Old 03-27-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yes. They're all detailed in the free downloads like JTIS.

Did you check the more likely brake interlock?
Hello JagV8.
I'll download those files and see if I can test the brake interlock. Will keep you all updated!

Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
One of my S type 4.0 (my 2001) did same "stuck in park" and cause was blown passenger compartment fuse number 5 that holds brake shift interlock with others. Replaced fuse and off we went. In this case I could release brake lock manually pressing solenoid under shifter. The root cause was heated seat module connection what blowed the fuse and was under the same fuse. Dont know if this same issue you suffering but checking fuses will sometimes be a good start.

Best regards

Last edited by STRV8; 03-27-2016 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by STRV8
Hi,
One of my S type 4.0 (my 2001) did same "stuck in park" and cause was blown passenger compartment fuse number 5 that holds brake shift interlock with others. Replaced fuse and off we went. In this case I could release brake lock manually pressing solenoid under shifter. The root cause was heated seat module connection what blowed the fuse and was under the same fuse. Dont know if this same issue you suffering but checking fuses will sometimes be a good start.

Best regards
Thanks for the comment. Did your stuck in park stop your car from starting. I will check it tomorrow.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Did your stuck in park stop your car from starting.
It shouldn't, two separate systems.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comment. Did your stuck in park stop your car from starting. I will check it tomorrow.
Edit(Ishould read question more carefully). No, car started normally, turning power on burnet fuse but car startet normally. Shifter lights did not work and could not get it off from P position. I could hear "snap"sound when fuse died. Heated seat module connection was renewed and problem was gone.

As sayed, might be whole different issue in your case

Last edited by STRV8; 03-28-2016 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:50 AM

I got the car started today. But, to do so I had to jump the relay in the engine bay for the starter. Once I did this it ran, but not perfectly. Selecting gears is still completed manually. I don't think the solenoid is working in the J-Gate. I say this because the brake lights are working and this means the brake switch is working, yet the solenoid does not dis-engage.

Once started I noticed a few things. The Rev counters does not display idle, it only moves up once I rev the engine, then returning to 0.

When I get the car into gear it is harsh changes. Won't Rev above 1000 then and no power. Very Slow. What could this mean? The gears appear to correspond to the correct position on the J-Gate. Making progress. Also as I mentioned earlier I have purchased a second hand J-Gate, cable etc for 30 pounds delivered. This 'might' help sort the problem. Any feedback or extra thoughts? Thank you all for your input so far!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jaguar S Type 2.7 Stuck in Park