S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S type 5R55N Weird tranny issue. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jaguar S type 5R55N Weird tranny issue. Need help

FIXED: Thanks everyone for the tips and help. Got a new solenoid pack, changed fluid and filter, and all my problems went away. Got away with $300 total and a friday afternoon.

Hey All. I have an 00 s type that I just recently picked up. At first, I thought the issue was for sure the pre-stroke valve spring, but I am beginning to think it is not. Below are the symptoms.

- At first start up, I am physically not able to put the shifter into any gear for about 10 seconds.

- When I put the car into drive (from both Park to Drive & Reverse to Drive), take a while to engage

- First gear shifts to second, but i have to let off the gas a little bit in order for it to move up to 2nd.

- When on the other side of the J gate, moving up through the 2,3,4,D gears is heavily lagged.

All gears work, no skipping.

Any help? I am hoping it is just low on fluid. I got the Gearbox fault dialog on the cluster, but it went away and haven't seen it since to pull the code.

Last edited by xjrwithproblems; 02-19-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The code should still be stored for a long time unless you disconnect the battery.
Just read it

Also check for any pending codes.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:01 PM

No codes. Weird! I'll drive it around some more hoping i'll get some codes to work with

Got the code. It is P0775. Pressure solenoid B.

I've searched the boards and nobody has seemed to have this problem. Searching through google showed that this is a pressure solenoid. I'm assuming this is not related to the prestroke valve spring?

Last edited by xjrwithproblems; 01-31-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

I'm pretty sure you have a stretched selector cable. The cable moves a manual valve inside the transmission. If the cable stretches, when the shifter hits the end of it's travel [that is "D"], the manual valve may not fully engage the drive positon, it's really between Neutral and Drive. That allows fluid pressure to leak around the valve and not fully apply the appropriate clutches etc. The trans basically slips, or behaves weird. When you make the swing around to the other side of the Gate, there is enough play in the linkages that a gear is properly engaged, no more weird operation. If it wasn't for the "wall" so to speak at Drive, it probably wouldn't be a problem.
My bet is the cable.

Cheers,

Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

Worst case would be to R&R the tranny - good threads with photos on here if you're on the good end of DIY.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:00 AM

Hey Xjrguy, thanks for the tip. Do you think this is still the problem even with the Code of p0775 indicating a bad pressure solinoid?

Hey Jagv8, i'm hoping it's nothing major. If it were only the cable, that would make my day. If it does turn out to be a solinoid, it doesn't seem too bad. Never worked on an auto tranny before, but I have done extensive mechanical work from head gaskets, tranny and diff swaps, complete engine swaps, etc. I'll document whatever i do to help others with this same issue.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Yes, start with the cable! The pressure leakage I mentioned can be interpreted by the TCM [oops, sorry, in this case PCM] as a solenoid failure. PCM logic is, if this or that clutch is not properly applied, must be a solenoid failure. Rule out the cable first, by all means.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-01-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Replace the solenoid pack. Very,Very common. Expect to pay between $200-$300 for the part. You decide if you can install it or not. Would be an excellent time to change filter and fluid too.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm sorry, it may be a very common failure in a Ford, but it has not shown to be common in Jaguar's use of the 5R55N transmission. I've been with Jag since well before the S-Type introduction, and I personally have NEVER replaced a solenoid pack except for a road impact situation.
I'm not saying that's not possible, but I'd think a solenoid failure wouldn't care what side of the J-Gate the shifter was on, for instance.

Cheers,

Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

Solenoid pack is for his other symptoms. Especially the lagging shifts and the delay when going into gear. The Jaguar and Lincoln LS use exactly the same transmission so yes solenoid packs are a very common problem. But the plus is that replacement usually does fix it. Also his code points directly to solenoid problems.

Let us know if the shift cable is stretched because I have had this cable out and don't see any way it's going to stretch! Mis-adjusted maybe??

Here is the EXACT same code for the exact same year Jaguar. Note what the answer is.
http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/2ua...s-forward.html

Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Ok, xjrwithproblems, turn your ignition on and put the trans in reverse. Now with one finger and a thumb, take the shift knob and ease it out of the reverse notch. Wiggle it front to back and center it in the cable detent. Where is the center of the detent verses the "R" notch in the housing. If they don't match EXACTLY, the cable housing has stretched and the manual shaft detents don't match the shifter. That's a problem and Drive [manual valve] engagement will be affected.
If they match, I guess it's a solenoid pack.

This issue doesn't affect Ford so much because they don't have a J-Gate shifter.

Good luck!

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:39 AM

So, I did the adjustment last night; it helped a bit, but the gearbox fault warning came on. I just adjusted it the way you specified below, but its a little late, and am too tired to take it out for a drive. I'll drive it tomorrow; I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this was the problem. If not, I guess i'll have to find the pressure solinoid.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xjrwithproblems
Hey All. I have an 00 s type that I just recently picked up. At first, I thought the issue was for sure the pre-stroke valve spring, but I am beginning to think it is not. Below are the symptoms.

- At first start up, I am physically not able to put the shifter into any gear for about 10 seconds.

- When I put the car into drive (from both Park to Drive & Reverse to Drive), take a while to engage

- First gear shifts to second, but i have to let off the gas a little bit in order for it to move up to 2nd.

- When on the other side of the J gate, moving up through the 2,3,4,D gears is heavily lagged.

All gears work, no skipping.

Any help? I am hoping it is just low on fluid. I got the Gearbox fault dialog on the cluster, but it went away and haven't seen it since to pull the code.

Well i had the exact same symptoms and i had to rebuild my tranny, no more problems since and if you read your manual it says after selecting (D) or (R) driving ranges from (N) or (P), wait briefly for the transmission to engage before accelerating. So that's normal.

Again after much speculating and reading i just took it to a trusted mechanic and the transmission had to be rebuilt, he even let me see how he did the job and boy was my transmission BROKEN lol, after that everything has been good as far as the tranny goes. I still have to fix the driver's window, i have no heater and my reverse sensors don't work but at least it gets me where i need to go haha.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by xjrwithproblems
So, I did the adjustment last night; it helped a bit, but the gearbox fault warning came on. I just adjusted it the way you specified below, but its a little late, and am too tired to take it out for a drive. I'll drive it tomorrow; I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this was the problem. If not, I guess i'll have to find the pressure solinoid.

I wasn't advising an adjustment, if you found that the shift cable detent did not match the "R" notch, I was saying then the cable needed to be replaced. Adjusting a cable that has failed like that will only make something misalign in another gear position. To put it another way, maybe if you adjust a bad cable to properly engage Drive, then it might not fully engage Park for instance. If you got a gearbox fault, what was the code this time??

Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Hi.. Just read your reply to the loose transmission cable.. I just purchased a 2001 s type 3.0 and when I shift from P to R or Drive, there is a definite hesitation. Other than that the trans performs correctly, in non sport mode is lumbering with that luxury smooth shift that I like, but the car performs MUCH better in sport mode.... Any thoughts on the lag in shift engagement time?.. thanks... Larry

Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Check linkage, check whether cable has stretched.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Default help

I have a 2001 jaguar s type. Bought after my other car was totaled . It has a p0775 code. Where can I get a pc solenoid b and how hard is it to install? I cant find any info on this anywhere. Instructions would be great.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Read some more. It has been found that replacing just the solenoids is not a good repair.

Replace the valve body. As I said above it will run about $300.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Hey xjrwithproblems,

I's having the same problems you described. Would you mind taking a look at my thread in the link below and posting suggestions? Glad you were able to fix it!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-type-131283/

Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hey I got lucky on that one!

Glad the valve body change fixed it. I had the same results with my 2003 Lincoln LS. The dealer screwed around replacing solenoids and it sort of fixed it. I brought it back 3 times and on the third time I insisted that the entire valve body be changed.

The only reason I did that was the dealers own transmission guy told me just changing a solenoid would most likely not fix it entirely and I should change the entire valve body.