S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just added JaguarVoice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just added JaguarVoice

I just added JaguarVoice to our 05 S-Type. I've got a lot of familiarization to do with it but already see where my eyes will be on the road when they were looking for a button to poke.

The first issue is the vocabulary though this is just straight learning. The format is fairly fixed and easy to learn. The specific words will just take memorization.

The second issue is that I don't know how to say "Yes" in a way that the darn thing understands.

Finally the quirks. One I found is that you can't turn off the CD changer. What you do say is "Radio Off" and that turns off whatever audio sub-system is working.

It really is both fun to learn and like I said, a safety improvement. (At least that's what I told my wife.)

Eric

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

How did you "add" it? What specific components were involved? Did you do it yourself or did the dealer/shop do it?

Eric (other)

Old 04-08-2009, 04:08 PM

The shop did it but I suspect that it could be done as a self-help project. Had to buy the unit and two cables though the book only said one....$800 plus $200 installation.

I've now found some problems with the voice training.

1. To begin with, the module isn't as forgiving as the literature says. I tried to load my home phone. It should go like
beep
PHONE ENTER 5670916
beep
PHONE STORE "home"
beep

The only problem was that the phone number kept getting screwed up over the number of "0"....567000916 or 5670090016 or 56709016. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the extra "0".

2. So, I decided to actually program the voice commands. However, the system prompted me with a different set of words than were shown in the book and I had no reference to read from. I went to the site the Jaguar folks said I should visit (www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com) but the book for the 05 S-Type doesn't include JaguarVoice. It says it does but it's wrong. The pages just aren't there. Jaguar customer service was no help for the first time ever.

3. I found a book (pdf) on the jaguar.com site that seems older than the book I had but it does have the voice prompts that seem to be correct printed so I can see them.

That made me think..... The Accessories catalog mentions 2 units, One is for up to a certain VIN and one is for all later vehicles. I'm wondering if I got the older unit when I should have gotten the newer unit. I called the shop and asked for the documents. They said there weren't any in the box. Then I called the parts desk and asked them to send me the invoice. I'll match that number with what I was supposed to get and we'll see. I'll post the numbers when I get the invoice.

Meanwhile, I'll try to voice train again and see if it works.

Basically, Jaguar screwed the pooch. They've sent a system that doesn't work as it's documented, the later documents aren't available, and they say, "That's it. Sorry."

Eric

Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM

I've got a sinking feeling......

I finally gave up trying to simply use the system and decided to go through the voice training process.

After I completed the required 25 phrases, the system said the training was complete. (Note, I did this without a book since there's none available. The dealer said it didn't come with the module and Jaguar said that I was to get it from the dealer.)

Then I tried to use the system. All was OK until I was prompted for "Accept Yes/No". There's no way to voice train "Yes" and "No" as the words are not on the voice training list and the system won't recognize my voice.

So....my wife tried it. She got stopped at the same point...."Accept Yes/No".

I can't get a book, I can't prove that I have the right unit, and I can't make it work....seemingly ever.

Eric

Last edited by Toller; 04-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, I've been thinking about adding JaguarVoice to my '06 Vanden Plas, but after reading your posts, I'm having second thoughts. Please keep us posted on this.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds an awful lot like the voice recognition that comes standard on my Range Rovers. If so, it is NOT worth $1000.

I was actually quite surprised that the option was as expensive as it is on the Jaguars.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM

I've solved the problem. I woke up at 3:30 with the revelation that solved the problem.

First of all, the actual voice training solved most of the issues. I've experimented with various phone numbers and it's spot on. Then I tried naming a couple of radio stations. I gave one a name of "Montgomery Talk FM". Then I used "Montgomery FM Talk". the system found it without a problem.

Now the solution..... When it says "Accept Yes/No", you have to press the signal button. As to why the voice training isn't needed for "Yes" or "No", no clue. As to why the voice channel isn't opened in a duplex mode for "Accept Yes/No", I can't say. Maybe it's just conformity. Anyway, once I realized that....smooth sailing.

I went through several command sequences, including things like the word inversion cited above. All went well.

I can only suggest to you to not waste too much time trying to use it without voice training. If it works without training, great. However, as soon as frustration starts to set in, train it. Second, remember the control button. Every sequence I've tried requires the button between steps though this seems counter-intuitive in places.

Finally, use the right book. The book with the black cover labeled "Touchscreen" may not be the right book. If you try to train and the voice training prompts are different from what's in that book, go to http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/owner...r/myjaguar.htm and get the book labeled "Audio Systems Handbook".

All said and done....I'm a happy camper. The system is very good at keeping the driver's eyes on the road and it's sort of fun to have.

Eric

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (08-03-2015)
Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toller
I've solved the problem. I woke up at 3:30 with the revelation that solved the problem.

First of all, the actual voice training solved most of the issues. I've experimented with various phone numbers and it's spot on. Then I tried naming a couple of radio stations. I gave one a name of "Montgomery Talk FM". Then I used "Montgomery FM Talk". the system found it without a problem.

Now the solution..... When it says "Accept Yes/No", you have to press the signal button. As to why the voice training isn't needed for "Yes" or "No", no clue. As to why the voice channel isn't opened in a duplex mode for "Accept Yes/No", I can't say. Maybe it's just conformity. Anyway, once I realized that....smooth sailing.

I went through several command sequences, including things like the word inversion cited above. All went well.

I can only suggest to you to not waste too much time trying to use it without voice training. If it works without training, great. However, as soon as frustration starts to set in, train it. Second, remember the control button. Every sequence I've tried requires the button between steps though this seems counter-intuitive in places.

Finally, use the right book. The book with the black cover labeled "Touchscreen" may not be the right book. If you try to train and the voice training prompts are different from what's in that book, go to http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/owner...r/myjaguar.htm and get the book labeled "Audio Systems Handbook".

All said and done....I'm a happy camper. The system is very good at keeping the driver's eyes on the road and it's sort of fun to have.

Eric
Eric, Thanks for some better news. I am still going to hold off a few more months before jumping into this. If you discover any other problems, please let me know.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI, first of all in MID 2005 they revised the VCM to fix any issues that you have been having. If you installed an older version of the box then there is your problem. I bought a 2006 box from a junk yard for 75.00 including the fiber optic cable. It is a simple plug and play. It might ask for your radio ID code which can be obtained by calling Jaguar customer service and providing them with your VIN. I now have my code and am waiting for the arrival of the unit itself. It is pretty straight forward and looks to be a very simple installation. They also had a revision of the voice command book as well. Get the latest book as well as the latest voice command unit. If your car came with a phone or BT. You should have no issues what so ever. This control unit controls everything and does cut off the anything you are using when you touch the phone icon button on the steering wheel. Cancel will return you back to the system before activated by the button. Do not be afraid to try it. 100.00 shipped and IM done.

aknight (04-10-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 03:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy thread bump Batman

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-21-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about the part numbers?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

For the voice module?

2R8F-14B292-AA, -AB, -AC, -AD = US English
2R8F-14B292-BA, -BB, -BC, -BD = British English
2R8F-14B292-HA, -HB, -HC = Australian English
2R8F-14B292-DA, -DB, -DC, -DD = German

Other languages have other suffixes, French = Fx, Spanish = Ex, etc...

EssOess (08-06-2015)