S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 2000 s-type 3.0 - shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought 2000 s-type 3.0 - shifting problems

So I just purchase a 2000 s-type 3.0 with 110,000 Miles from Sarasota FL a few days ago and i'm now driving it back to Ontario Canada. While driving home I noticed the following 2 issues: 1) Problems when trying to give to much gas when accelerating on hwy or going up a hill - it's like the tranny can't get into gear and jerking? Helps to manually down shift to 4th but sometimes also the issue in 4th. 2) When sitting at a stop light the engine seems like it's missing once in a while creating a rough idle.

No engine light on so far and I don't see any leaks under the car. I looked for a spot to add some lucas-oil tranny fix but can't find a spot to add anything? I haven't had a chance to read all forums to see what is wrong but if anyone knows off hand what the problem most likely is I would appreciate any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks - looking forward to being part of a great forum.

Steve

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's more likely to be the engine or battery than trans.

Check battery volts are about 12.6V, engine off, after standing over night.

You could well have an air leak and/or failing coils. Use OBD to get fuel trims - use Search about them. Usually fairly cheap to fix.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedask
add some lucas-oil tranny fix but can't find a spot to add anything?
Welcome from a fellow Canadian!

Lucas anything is the last thing you want near the car, especially transmission.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 10,289 Likes on 6,810 Posts

Things I found on the Silver car that match the symptoms.

Coils and spark plugs. At the mileage, NEED doing.

PCV hose under the lower inlet manifold is split. DUMB idea. Common fault. Simple test, unplug the hose at the TOP of the throttle body that faces the windscreen, cap the vac spigot, start the engine. If it smooths out, that hose is the problem, if its unchanged, that is NOT your problem. If you are unsure of the hose I mention, post back and I will take a Kodak of it for you.

Trans fluid needs changing. I did a write up on this and its in the stickies at the top.

These transmissions will be hissy if the engine is not running spot on, as so much engine info is used to select the correct gear etc. In the meantime, switch it to "Sport Mode", that will save the trans a heap.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 11-14-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Strongly agree with Grant Francis. At the mileage of your new-to-you S-Type, check the engine first. Little plastic bits like the PCV hose and valve are usual suspects, the ignition coils are a few dozen thousand miles past due for changing out, and checking for vacuum leaks around the intake gasket are first priority. Tranny fluid needs changing too - just make sure you get the proper fluid, as the transmission on your S-Type isn't the same as the later models (the later models needing pricey unicorn blood ZF fluid). ALSO, be aware S-Types do weird things when the battery is failing. Cleaning your throttle body and MAF sensor are also strongly advisable.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

If its not to late and you are driving up I-77 and passing through Charlotte. I could plug my OBD II onto your vehicle.

All of the above ideas will be expensive to repair if you did not get somewhat of a warranty. Have you talked with the dealer yet about the problems?

Old 11-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

What he describes sounds more like a bad coil pack than transmission. My suggestion is to change all plugs and coil packs along with the breather elbow before doing anything else.

I think that we all agree those things need done anyway.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - thanks for the quick responses and the offer to come by Charlotte. I'm actually back up in Canada now and I will have a look at the plugs/coil-packs/pvc hoses etc.

I purchased from a private party that had all service done by their local Jag Dealer in Sarasota so I'm waiting for the service records to be sent to me so I can see what services are outstanding as well.

If the tranny fluid has not been done recently I will also read Grant's sticky and do that too.

I'll post how it goes and if I can figure out the problem.

I love the look of this JAG and hope to keep it running & looking good as I think it will be a great classic car.

Thanks

Old 11-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I had the EXACT same symptons as you on my 3 litre S Type MY2000.
I changed all plugs and coils and the elbow breather pipe. None of them looked faulty but when I put it back together again the difference was unbelievable! Smooth gear changes, no miss at idle and better fuel economy

Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Steve you are welcome.

If you have a nearby Jaguar dealership I would take the service department a box or of donuts and ask very nicely to print out all service work done. Make sure you have your vin #. You will probably get the documents with less head aches and it would be much faster.

For what its worth. I still agree with all the above posts that its more than likely an engine problem rather than the transmission. The "old timers" here have often wondered how many times transmissions were replaced when something as simple as a little vacuum leak caused what you are experiencing.

There is a lot of knowledge to read in the "How To Guides" located under the S Type subdirectory. My advice, be well informed about your vehicle before you whip out your checkbook!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-15-2014)