S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 4.2 S type and bad ecu...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have anything really to add just to say I feel your pain. I recently had similar problems with my jag and now hindsight looking back -- the warning signs were there before I drove off the lot and I still bought it. The car would not start when we decided to take it for a test drive. They kept it an extra day and had to replace the starter (supposedly). The car was delivered to us and the very next day, and a few days later, it would not start -- we had to keep turning the key again and again -- eventually, it would start up. It did not happen again....Two months later, it died and we received a fail safe mode warning. We took this to a mechanic and was told it was the throttle body. We spent a few thousand on the throttle body -- this did not fix the problem. He was baffled. We had it towed to a dealership -- they informed us that the throttle body was defective. We are now waiting on a new part and will pray that this will fix the problem.

Sorry for the long email -- I guess my point is -- go with your gut feeling. What is it telling you?

I wish I had went with my gut but then again -- we could have problems with any car. My concern is this -- it seems to be quite a few issues with fail safe/limp mode/throttle body with jaguars and it seems that this is not an easy fix. Why are they notorious for having these problems?

Please keep us updated and good luck to you.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think your dealer has the first clue about what the problem is. Recent throttle bodies don't fail, and ECUs rarely fail either - conclusion is that the dealer is clutching at straws. You're fortunate that the car is still in warranty, and you won't have to pay - only suffer the inconvenience.

Ask the dealer for the list of codes he found in the ECU and has sent to Jaguar International, paste them onto the forum, and I might be able to help you understand what the problem is, and possibly how to fix it.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

It's too easy for them just to replace parts, even expensive parts, without making sure they've properly diagnosed the problem. Yep - probably they haven't a clue.