Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry - Remote no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Keyless Entry - Remote no longer working

Ok My remote no longer works, Car is an 03 S-type 3.0.

I have put a new battery in the fob. But it was dead for a while. Car locks / unlocks starts fine with the key, but the keyless doesn't work.

Can these remotes "unprogram" themselves after a certain period of time, or did something else go wrong??

From my research seems fuse f22 controls the "passive theft system" I am going to check that after work.

Is there a way to resync an existing key without a trip to the dealer If the key got deprogrammed??

Thanks in advance,

Geroge

Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This procedure is supposed to work, from howstuffworks.com
  • Turn the ignition key on and off eight times in less than 10 seconds. This tells the security system in the car to switch over to programming mode.
  • Press a button on all of the transmitters you want the car to recognize. Most cars allow at least four transmitters.
  • Switch the ignition off.
Link to article - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm

The following users liked this post:
Paula Vecchiarelli (04-25-2019)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I don't know if that will work but here are three pages from the 2003 Drivers Handbook. Not real clear but maybe a dealer needed? It shows how to change the battery and nothing is said about needing to reprogram the FOB?
I would call service and just see if they would help.

Attached Files
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting.... so do I need to re-program both remotes, if one is out-of-sync?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy4eva
Interesting.... so do I need to re-program both remotes, if one is out-of-sync?
Yes.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's been said that the battery in the fob must be changed within 30 seconds. I did mine recently, being quick about the crucial battery disconnected time and it worked fine. If yours was dead for a while that's likely the root cause.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Length of time that the battery is removed from transmitter should not matter. There are instances where the fob will lose programming due to static electricity, and can be reprogrammed. There are other instances where it will lose programming and be rendered useless, at which point it will ne to be replaced.

I am not aware of any way to "cheat" 03 and up Stype fobs in terms of programming.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-14-2016)
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagtec1
Length of time that the battery is removed from transmitter should not matter. There are instances where the fob will lose programming due to static electricity, and can be reprogrammed. There are other instances where it will lose programming and be rendered useless, at which point it will ne to be replaced.

I am not aware of any way to "cheat" 03 and up Stype fobs in terms of programming.
I bought a bunch of fobs off of ebay (guy had a lot of like 5 of them i ended up winning for $30) You think I could have one of those programmed to my car? Or is that hit or miss.

When is a fob useless as far as reprogramming, and when is a fob reusable?

Any way to test to see if the fob is in fact transmitting? I also have an 03 x-type if that will help (i.e. programming it to that car).

Thanks in advance,

George

Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keyless Entry-Remote no longer works

"I would call service and just see if they would help". Service is very helpful. New remote, programming approximatelly $400. Reprogramming yours from the dealership I would have to use is approximately $100; new key $75. Buying a FOB elsewhere they would charge about $100-if did not work would still have to pay the $100. The ones I found on ebay and sent an email to did back theirs up.....always good to check.
Bill

Old 01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by majbill
"I would call service and just see if they would help". Service is very helpful. New remote, programming approximatelly $400. Reprogramming yours from the dealership I would have to use is approximately $100; new key $75. Buying a FOB elsewhere they would charge about $100-if did not work would still have to pay the $100. The ones I found on ebay and sent an email to did back theirs up.....always good to check.
Bill
I have a guy at a dealer that will hook me up as far as pricing. But the fobs are still $180 wholesale. I mean if it's going to be such a nightmare, i might as well take the car somewhere and have an aftermarket alarm installed for less... It would give me better range / performance anyways.. and just get two post keys cut, and call it a day u know...

Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

For those guys with working keyless entry on an 03+ S-Type...

Can you try the following for me?

If you lock the car with the metal key in the driver's door look, does it behave as follows?

First turn of the key - car locks. parking lights flash

2nd turn of the key - no response (besides hearing the locks try to cycle)

Because on my X-type, the 2nd turn of the key elicits a horn beep from the factory alarm, basically verifying that the alarm is activated. Does your S-type do the same thing? I'm suspecting that the alarm may not be working properly in my car and that the problem may be other than in the key fob. I wanted to confirm this behavior to see what an S with working keyless does.

Thanks,

George

Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Firstly, the car can be set to have various different behaviours on 2nd turn e.g. beep or not beep.

Secondly, you have to do the 2nd turn within a small number (3?) of seconds. Mine deadlocks and arms the internal ultrasonics for the alarm. No beep (and I wouldn't want one).

Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'm familliar with the quick double lock from my X-type (which beeps).

Any way to forcibly set the alarm off? Popping the hood or something? Just to see if the alarm is working?

Just running the various failure possibilities through my head....

Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I'm familliar with the quick double lock from my X-type (which beeps).

Any way to forcibly set the alarm off? Popping the hood or something? Just to see if the alarm is working?

Just running the various failure possibilities through my head....
Have the window open and set the alarm. then open the door manually by unlocking it from inside and open the door. The alarm should sound.

I don't think I ever used the key to lock and unlock. :P Let me try it when I get home.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Both my keyless entry keys do not work, so I changed the batteries, still did not work, went to the dealer and they said I had to have both of them re-programmed and the cost would be $140 for them both and their was a good possibility that they both were now defective and I may have to buy two new ones at a cost of $192 each. Another reason not to own a Jaguar after having to replace both Catalytic Converters last year. I have 118,000 miles on a 2003 S-Type. Beautiful car, but nothing but trouble since day one and the value went down so fast I could never get ahead of curve to get rid of it either. So, anyone really have a solution to the keyless entry deal, none of procedures above work.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by royrhino
Both my keyless entry keys do not work, so I changed the batteries, still did not work, went to the dealer and they said I had to have both of them re-programmed and the cost would be $140 for them both and their was a good possibility that they both were now defective and I may have to buy two new ones at a cost of $192 each. Another reason not to own a Jaguar after having to replace both Catalytic Converters last year. I have 118,000 miles on a 2003 S-Type. Beautiful car, but nothing but trouble since day one and the value went down so fast I could never get ahead of curve to get rid of it either. So, anyone really have a solution to the keyless entry deal, none of procedures above work.
My solution was to install an aftermarket alarm. $60 from ebay, and a couple hours work. 2 new remotes, and much better range than the factory key.

I have factory transmitters if you need them, i've sold a couple on here already, but you still have to get them programmed. As long as the metal half of the key still starts the car, you can just replace the transmitter section.

I can walk you the alarm install if you need it.

George

Jason Souhrada (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I had two remotes that did not work. Cleaned them both and they worked just fine. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairxk8Remote.htm I would also suggest testing the battery and verify it is good. I Hope this helps!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I agree with Gus that careful cleaning inside the fobs should be your first step. Also, there is a TSB for the fobs which essentially places a thin Mylar strip over the electronics inside the case to assist with cleanliness, moisture control, and static electricity. Both of our fobs had this TSB performed just prior to us purchasing the vehicle, and we've never had a single fob problem. May be worth investigating....

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
I had two remotes that did not work. Cleaned them both and they worked just fine. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairxk8Remote.htm I would also suggest testing the battery and verify it is good. I Hope this helps!
I opened, cleaned and installed new batteries, tried all the programming gimmicks mentioned here, nothing works.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
My solution was to install an aftermarket alarm. $60 from ebay, and a couple hours work. 2 new remotes, and much better range than the factory key.

I have factory transmitters if you need them, i've sold a couple on here already, but you still have to get them programmed. As long as the metal half of the key still starts the car, you can just replace the transmitter section.

I can walk you the alarm install if you need it.

George
I am not handy at all so me installing anything is not a good option. I am interested in how much the after market alarm cost, plus new fob part (is that where the battery is?). Please advise.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry - Remote no longer working