S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry - Remote no longer working

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

There is NO way to reprogram an S-Type remote or a key without a trip to the dealer or someone who has the Jaguar IDS software.

An aftermarket alarm can start at about $50-60 and go all the way up into the several hundreds.

I have a relatively basic DEI Viper in my car just lock/unlock, trunk pop and a shock sensor, nothing crazy. But you need a competent installer who knows how to read wiring diagrams and work with these cars.

I'd expect 2-3 hours labor to do a proper alarm install.

Do not take the car to Best Buy / Frys / 6th Ave etc etc.

I have 4 key fobs left I think. PM me for details if you're interested.

Take care,

George

Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am going to throw this procedure out that worked for me. If you have not screwed around the with the car programming it might work. I say it might because it did with my 95 xj6 and do not know about your car. I got upset with my remote not working one day and I pressed the open 5 to 6 times rapidly and then the close the same way and it began working. I had replaced the battery and cleaned it with no success prior to this. I have no idea why but it worked!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djdex
This procedure is supposed to work, from howstuffworks.com
  • Turn the ignition key on and off eight times in less than 10 seconds. This tells the security system in the car to switch over to programming mode.
  • Press a button on all of the transmitters you want the car to recognize. Most cars allow at least four transmitters.
  • Switch the ignition off.
Link to article - http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm
Does not work

Old 01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by royrhino
Does not work
I'll say this one more time. That procedure will work for older jags and X-Types.

There is NO way to program a key to the car on an S-Type with the switchblade key without a dealer or someone else with Jaguar IDS software.

In theory, the car will retain its key programming till the car is reprogrammed again. (You have to program all keys / remotes together, up to a total of 5 currently working remotes / keys).

Either the remote portion of your key is defective, or the remotes you have were never properly programmed to the car. (Did they EVER work in your possession).

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Default Keyless entry not working

I just came back from the Jag dealer in Newport Beach. They attempted to re-program both my keys and told me the computer would not recognize the keys and they tried new keys and they would not program either. The rep told me it would cost $350 to find out what is wrong with the computer and most likely would cost at least $2500 for a new module of some kind. Is there a way around this?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The cars vary so please put the details in your signature, then people can try to help.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

You can put an aftermarket keyless entry system in the car for less than $100.

4 wires are all you really need, and they are all in the harness @ the drivers door module. I can walk you through it. My car had the same problem and that's exactly what I did. No issues ever since.

If you want to "pop" the trunk instead of just unlocking it, you have to run one more wire out of the door to the lower dash area.

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Had the same problem.. new batteries..cleaned contacts... Dealer tried to re-program.. then thew in a couple new fobs (they wouldnt hold a program).. it was the drivers door module. Fixed under warranty, but I would imagine it was expensive.

Works perfect after the new DDM.

Joe

Old 08-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This worked! Figured trying this couldn't hurt... I have an s-type.

Originally Posted by Gus
I am going to throw this procedure out that worked for me. If you have not screwed around the with the car programming it might work. I say it might because it did with my 95 xj6 and do not know about your car. I got upset with my remote not working one day and I pressed the open 5 to 6 times rapidly and then the close the same way and it began working. I had replaced the battery and cleaned it with no success prior to this. I have no idea why but it worked!
This worked for my s-type. I was so frustrated and figured this couldn't hurt. I could barely believe it worked! Thank you thank you!

Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 03 fob had bad button switches under the rubber cover. They can be repaired but probably will not last. I purchased a used fob and a local shop reprogrammed it for $30 using the OBII port and their own machine. Still working after a year. Happy with the results and no dealer involved.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-14-2016)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought my 06 a few mos ago..It came with 1 remote key.. The local key guy here near us makes remote keys and programs them for $220 and non remote for $120.. Less that half what the dealer wants here..

Just search "tibby car keys Hamilton, NJ" and make some calls

Last edited by ZenFly; 09-16-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-14-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
My solution was to install an aftermarket alarm. $60 from ebay, and a couple hours work. 2 new remotes, and much better range than the factory key.

I have factory transmitters if you need them, i've sold a couple on here already, but you still have to get them programmed. As long as the metal half of the key still starts the car, you can just replace the transmitter section.

I can walk you the alarm install if you need it.

George
Do you have a write up on this aftermarket install? How well has it worked for you over the years? I considered this after my 03 STR stopped receiving the signal from my remotes. Transmitter works fine according to my tech guy and his reprograming tool but car wont receive signal.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I'm familliar with the quick double lock from my X-type (which beeps).

Any way to forcibly set the alarm off? Popping the hood or something? Just to see if the alarm is working?

Just running the various failure possibilities through my head....
My S-TYPE alarm goes off when I open the trunk with the key.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Same thing

My fob doesn’t work any longer either.
I can operate the locks with the key (single and all doors) and all other global functions work too (hold key turn for all windows/ sunroof open close)
when I manually lock the car, my alarm also goes off when I open the trunk with the key.

No mechanics around here will touch a Jag. So my issue remains unresolved as well. Wish I could do more than say, “Me too” :/

Old 05-06-2019, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's likely a broken/corroded wire. It'll be painful but you could check using the workshop manual / electrical guide - free download.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my two remotes stopped working a few days ago; I replaced the battery several times without success, tried the "5 or 6 opens followed by 5 or 6 closes" and that didn't work either. In the end I used the remaining good fob to unlock the car, tried to lock it with the defective one, that didn't work, locked it with the known good one, after which the defective one worked perfectly. I suspect that by using a properly paired remote you are establishing your bona fides, after which the car's security system will also trust the one you are trying to re-pair.

kr98664 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Chainhurstman
One of my two remotes stopped working a few days ago; I replaced the battery several times without success, tried the "5 or 6 opens followed by 5 or 6 closes" and that didn't work either. In the end I used the remaining good fob to unlock the car, tried to lock it with the defective one, that didn't work, locked it with the known good one, after which the defective one worked perfectly. I suspect that by using a properly paired remote you are establishing your bona fides, after which the car's security system will also trust the one you are trying to re-pair.
Interesting theory. I hope a tech will comment on this as I also have one that's dead and I'd like to pair a replacement.