S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for a mechanic/computer whiz

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy looking for a mechanic/computer whiz

I have an ongoing problem with a CATS system fault. This 2000 S type has had the fault since I bought it two years ago. I have tried a few garages around me in Victoria and nearby on Vancouver Island but so far no joy finding a solution. Is there some kind of brilliant computer mastermind who can tell me what is wrong with my CATS system or am I doomed to watching the little skidding wheel flash forever into the future.

Robert Pellow
Parksville, Canada

Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

What DTC is logged in the module???
The modules on the network will usually have a fault logged. They can be interrogated and the faults downloaded for diagnosis.
Special diagnostic equipment is required to read ALL the modules but you will know why the MIL is illuminated.
Find a person or shop in your local area to read the codes.

or
Let the guessing begin.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Brutal (10-13-2018), NBCat (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

For the cost of 1-2 hours of shop time, a higher level, or brand specific code reader can be obtained; this will allow you to post the DTCs here and have a viable tool for future diagnostics.

Not every reader will handle chassis codes,but for a year 2000, an ICarsoft i930 unit should suffice.

JR

Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 PM

So . . . if I buy an ICarsoft i930 reader I might be able to read the chassis codes? They are running about $130US on Ebay right now. David Redfern was advising me that none of the readers of that day [about two years ago] would read the Jaguar proprietary codes and I did try to download a program from Mongoose and I did buy a couple of Mongoose readers but I have been unable get them to actually diagnose the system. So far I have spent about two hundred dollars on this project Another couple of hundred would not be too much to pay if I could actually get to the heart of the problem. I have taken it off the road for the winter so I will have some time to look at this problem again.

The car does ride stiffly and harshly when dealing with rougher roads but generally it is a comfortable ride on the main highways, etc. So I am assuming the CATS system IS malfunctioning. I replaced the module and fixed the connector to the module [they had suffered some exposure to water in the trunk]. I would love to find out myself what is ailing the beast.

Bob Pellow

Old 10-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

I have the iCarsoft LR-II, which is the larger format version with some additional functions for diesels; it will absolutely read chassis codes, right down to which parking assist sensor is malfunctioning.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 PM

I got this message from Outils OBD Facile when I inquired about purchasing an ICarsofti930 reader from them:
Bonjour,

Your Jaguar S Type is too old, it is not compatible with our products.
Gasoline vehicle are compatible since 2001 and diesel vehicle since 2004 whatever the brand.

Cordialement
Outils OBC Facil
e

But I will see what I get when I google iCarSoft LR-II. Thanks for your lead. I note that your car is a 2003 model. Might not work for my 2000.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:32 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

What is the problem that you have with the mongoose. I installed the program on an old laptop 32 bit which runs on Windows 7 pro. I used version 1.30. The driver has to be the one for the mongoose from the CD disc that came with the mongoose. As it is most probably a pro version.

When you put in the user name and code word don't copy and paste or it will not work.

Don't let it update either by turning of the Wi-Fi or saying no if you get update wizard.

The program when you run it on the car it will start the SDD until it has read your vin. Then it will ask you if you want to use the IDS which you say yes. It will then run and you can check what is the problem.

If you have a more modern computer then you can install the program this way.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=108460&highlight=Mongoose

Old 10-14-2018, 02:32 PM

Hi David,

I have put the Jag to bed for the winter so I will follow your lead and try again. I now have a Toshiba 64bit with Windows 7 that I am trying to convert to a reader. Thanks for responding again.

Bob

Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM
Default Mindbuddha

Originally Posted by Ducmon
What is the problem that you have with the mongoose. I installed the program on an old laptop 32 bit which runs on Windows 7 pro. I used version 1.30. The driver has to be the one for the mongoose from the CD disc that came with the mongoose. As it is most probably a pro version.

When you put in the user name and code word don't copy and paste or it will not work.

Don't let it update either by turning of the Wi-Fi or saying no if you get update wizard.

The program when you run it on the car it will start the SDD until it has read your vin. Then it will ask you if you want to use the IDS which you say yes. It will then run and you can check what is the problem.

If you have a more modern computer then you can install the program this way.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...light=Mongoose
I took a quick look at the thread and found The Mindbuddha information. I would look like I should be using Version 125. I will have to download it onto my working computer and then transfer it to the Toshiba but first I have to eliminate the earlier information I downloaded onto the two sixteen gig stubs. I will keep you up to date on what is happening and will once again thank you for your ongoing help.
Bob

Old 10-14-2018, 03:15 PM

David,

Maybe I will give it another try using the information downloaded last time. Not sure if I cut and pasted the user name and code word. I did have a local computer tech try to get it working but he is not too familiar with car readers.

When I am using the Toshiba it is not connected to the internet so I don't think I am getting Wi-Fi or update wizard interventions but I will try to keep that in mind

I do have two Mongoose discs, one smaller than the other. I will try to identify them for you.

Bob

Old 10-14-2018, 03:26 PM

The mongoose type reader needs SDD 125 onward. (IDS/SDD versions prior to that won't work)

SAE J2534-compliant devices will only work with version JLR SDD125 onward. SDD130 seems popular.

bob

Old 10-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Okay. One of the disks is a JLR-V142 "banana" Digital
DVD-R 4.7GB/120MIN 1-16X around one side of the centre.
GSD-B-401 Y102811D around the other side of the centre.
There are three bananas hanging from a branch and a KING crown above them.

The shiny side has no printing on it.

Physically the disk is 4 3/4 inches in diameter.

The other disk features what I would describe as a stylized teddy bear's face and "COMPACT DISC Recordable High Speed, 25 minutes 225 megabytes", written on the non-shiny painted side

OBD II shows on the shiny side.

Physically the disk is much smaller at 3 1/8 inches in diameter.

I will try this disk out on the car tomorrow. [hadn't noticed the OBDII notification on the shiny side before]

Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM

Hi David,
I just went through a session with it using the original Mongoose disc [the small one] and it asked me to identify the car through its VIN, which I did. It then displayed the general configuration of this particular car, which I accepted.

When I come to one of the following screen I get the following error message.
The left side of the screen The right side of the screen
Diagnostic trouble code's have not been read for current content position Read diagnostic codes for the current content position by pressing the button displaying the icon shown above
This is prefaced by a yellow circle containing a black exclamation mark. The icon looks like a match box with P1101 or PH01 printed on it.
There is also a grey bar above the left side of the screen that reads: When the icon is pressed, a "Please wait" message appears at the bottom of the screen and a blue outline puck flashes intermittently
IDS-DVD 125-V5.03 along with what sounds like the disc moving.
S-TYPE 00/100-00 complete vehicle But there is no end to the wait. I have checked back hours later.

So it would seem the computer is recognizing the car's system but I cannot get past this blockade.

Last edited by muskox3437; 10-14-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: I want the left side and right side to be divided
Old 10-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Hello again, David,

I cannot get this message edited the way I wanted it to be presented so I will try to sort it out here:

On the left side of the screen the following message appears:
Diagnostic trouble code's have not been read for current content position

On the right side of the screen the following message appears:
Read diagnostic codes for the current content position by pressing the button displaying the icon shown above.
The icon looks like a matchbox with P1101 or PH01 written on it.

When pressed a "Please wait" message occurs at the bottom of the screen.
A blue outline puck appears intermittently at the bottom edge of the computer along with accompanying disc sounds but this never ends.

There is a grey ribbon at the top left of the screen that reads: IDS-DVD125_V5.03 S-TYPE OO/100-00 complete vehicle.

I can't get past this screen.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Default download version 125?

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The mongoose type reader needs SDD 125 onward. (IDS/SDD versions prior to that won't work)

SAE J2534-compliant devices will only work with version JLR SDD125 onward. SDD130 seems popular.

bob
So if I follow Ducmon's advice and download version 125 [which I assume is SDD 125] and use my small Mongoose disc, I should be able to get a computer that will diagnose the fault? Your second sentence is Greek to me but it would seem that you are recommending version 130 over 125. Am I following?

Old 10-15-2018, 08:33 PM

A 2000 MY X200 will revert to Legacy IDS. There will be NO module software updates past the late 2000s. If you had a ROTUNDA VCM and IDS 118.5 (the LAST IDS version) that would be ALL that you would ever need for your car as it covers all up to 2009. The SAE J2534-compliant mongoose type is not compatible with SDD124 or earlier, you need SDD 125 or onward.

SDD is useless for you. ANY version of SDD should revert to Legacy IDS for that old car, so ANY version of SDD125 or later will work for you!!
Any version of SDD 125 onward that you can install and get to function will serve you well. SDD 130 is mentioned time-after-time in posts so I think it is readily available.

Contact me if you want SDD125 with instruction.

bob

Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
A 2000 MY X200 will revert to Legacy IDS. There will be NO module software updates past the late 2000s. If you had a ROTUNDA VCM and IDS 118.5 (the LAST IDS version) that would be ALL that you would ever need for your car as it covers all up to 2009. The SAE J2534-compliant mongoose type is not compatible with SDD124 or earlier, you need SDD 125 or onward.

SDD is useless for you. ANY version of SDD should revert to Legacy IDS for that old car, so ANY version of SDD125 or later will work for you!!
Any version of SDD 125 onward that you can install and get to function will serve you well. SDD 130 is mentioned time-after-time in posts so I think it is readily available.

Contact me if you want SDD125 with instruction.

bob
Okay. Let me try to unpack your information and feed it back to you in layman's terms. I will need some help with the abbreviations.

A 2000 MY X200. I take that to be a code reader. If I were to get one and plug it into the car it would by itself display legacy IDS, which I take it is
the program that diagnoses any faults showing on the car's computer. I used to know what IDS and SDD stood for but have forgotten. One of the many pleasures of aging..

There will be NO module software updates past the late 2000s Not quite sure what the implication of this is but I understand it to mean that a 2000 MY X 200 reader will not work with a Jaguar after the 2010 module and this would not apply to my 2000 S Type, obviously.

If you had a ROTUNDA VCM and IDS 118.5 (the LAST IDS version) that would be ALL that you would ever need for your car as it covers all up to 2009. This is quite intriguing because you seem to be saying that if I could get hold of a monitor [VCM?] and a certain program [IDS 118.5], I would have all I need to diagnose the car faults.

The SAE J2534-compliant mongoose type is not compatible with SDD124 or earlier, you need SDD 125 or onward. This throws me a little. Are you saying that from my description of what I have that it is an SAE J2534-compliant mongoose? And if so, then it is not compliant with the software I am currently using [SDD124?]? And that I will have to get SDD 125 software to make it compatible?

SDD is useless for you. ANY version of SDD should revert to Legacy IDS for that old car, so ANY version of SDD125 or later will work for you!! So . . . what I really need is Legacy IDS, not SDD and that I require an SDD program that upon implementation will revert to Legacy IDS. Am I making any sense here?

Any version of SDD 125 onward that you can install and get to function will serve you well. SDD 130 is mentioned time-after-time in posts so I think it is readily available. I take it that if I can get SDD 130, which is more widely available, I can get it to revert to Legacy IDS and that it will diagnose my car faults. Correct?

Contact me if you want SDD125 with instruction Definitely want it. Ducmon has been trying to help me for two years now and I appreciate all the help he gave to me. I just hope I have not bored you to death with my questions.

Bob Pellow

Old 10-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Your car is A 2000 MY X200 (Jaguar 2000 Model Year S-Type (Model designation X200)

There is no point on having the latest software version since There will be NO module software updates past the late 2000s.
If you need to update a module, a software version 10 or eleven years later will have no new configuration files so there is no need to have the latest/greatest version. A ten year newer file will be fine.

For IDS you need a laptop with 32 bit XP Pro and a Vehicle Communication Module with the appropriate cables. ROTUNDA VCM and IDS 118.5.

The Mongoose type communication device needs at least version 125 or later.
The SAE J2534-compliant mongoose type is not compatible with SDD124 or earlier, you need SDD 125 or onward

When diagnosing an early car, SDD WILL revert to Legacy IDS.
SDD wil not recognize the X200 and will simply find the program that is compatible (Legacy IDS) and that is already embedded in the SDD program.

I would say that any Jaguar IDS version from 5 to 8 years later than the manufacture date of your car will NOT have any advantage.

Jaguar Land Rover Service Diagnostics is pleased to announce that from IDS DVD 125 onwards (March 2011),
the IDS/SDD diagnostic platform supports a number of Jaguar Land Rover-approved J2534 Vehicle
Communication Interface (VCI) devices.
Users of the IDS/SDD platform will be able choose from a range of new, lower cost VCI devices when purchasing
new or upgrading current diagnostic equipment. Jaguar Land Rover will provide a supported list of validated
J2534 VCI devices which have been validated on Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles.

The Mongoose type SAE J2534-compliant device needs SDD 125 ONWARD. SDD 124 is NOT compatible. For all IDS/SDD from IDS DVD42 to SDD124 you will need a Rotunda VCM. Ford used to sell them for about $2300 and the cables were extra. I found a few for about $600 used, including the cables.

VCM II (2) is not compatible with anything discussed here.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
STE11-06.pdf (91.6 KB, 34 views)
The following users liked this post:
Norri (10-20-2018)