Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Wow! Thanks for that!!

Is that stuff on GTR (jagtechinfo)?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

What proof exists that the dealership laptop adaptation procedure cures the lurch issue "for good" ?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Jon89 - quite. I've found poboyblues to be knowledgeable, so am certainly inclined to believe him. However, there's a gulf between what we know for sure, what we can measure and so on.

If the data is on GTR I'm probably willing to pay to join and read it. I object to paying without knowing what I'd be getting.

Anyone can go into a dealer and ask to have the newest TCM software. But how would you check the dealer properly did the reflash?

How many dealers would let you sit with their tech as the work was done so you could check the data?

I can read the "calibration" version (CVN as it's known in OBD) for PCM and TCM but I don't know what they should be. (I have an ELM lead and enough software to do this.)

(A similar gulf would apply if I had a BMW with ZF box.)

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is a lurch

My used 03 s type 3 liter shifts great. My problem is when first operating it before it reaches oparating temp and driving steady at between 1500 to 2200 rpm there is a noticeable surge and a growling noise. What's that all about?

Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi poboyblues,

Is the updated adaption procedure now considered a part of the normal maintenance schedule? It sounds fairly straightforward and quick. If not, I would think it would be a fairly reasonable service item similar to a wheel balancing or radiator service.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi poboyblues,

Is the updated adaption procedure now considered a part of the normal maintenance schedule? It sounds fairly straightforward and quick. If not, I would think it would be a fairly reasonable service item similar to a wheel balancing or radiator service.

Thanks,

Mike
No Mike, it is not part of the service schedule. If you complain about it, you get the new software first, if it doesn't have it. We check it first.

If you're under warranty, it's free. If you are out of warranty, you pay.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
What proof exists that the dealership laptop adaptation procedure cures the lurch issue "for good" ?
Unless there are other issues within the transmission, ie: leaks, burned fluid, worn clutches, etc. it fixes it. No laptop procedure, no permanent fix. I used to adapt those transmissions as posted above. Was only temporary. Believe it or not, doesn't matter to me.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks poboyblues,

I would have to say the service personnel I have dealt with are very professional and pleasant. When I took my Jaguar in for a problem with the expansion tank a while ago, they made every effort to address any issues I had with my S-Type. I brought up the issue I had with the differential and they resolved it fairly quickly. From my perspective, the effort Jaguar has expended towards customer satisfaction has certainly paid off. It may not mean much but please pass on my appreciation to the technicians in the trenches.

Mike

Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by poboyblues
No Mike, it is not part of the service schedule. If you complain about it, you get the new software first, if it doesn't have it. We check it first.

If you're under warranty, it's free. If you are out of warranty, you pay.
Thanks for the clarification poboy, I have a question that needs answering if you dont mind.

How many hours labor would I get charged for this to be done along with the fluid additive to heal the squeek ? Jaguar of GreatNeck has a labor charge of $125 an hour

Does this laptop procedure update the TCM or would that be a seperate job ?

I ask cause being my age married and expecting a kid, I cant afford to risk a transmission swap . Thanks and this wont go unapreciated

-Vee

Old 09-20-2009, 01:57 AM

I can't honestly be accurate here, Vee. Some dealers charge differently, of course. I would expect at least 3 hours or so for the additive, TCM reflash, and adaptation procedure. The adaptation procedure alone takes quite some time as there are many adaptations to perform several times during the process. Also Jag recommends the adaptation procedure be done as a two man operation due to liability issues with driving with a live laptop. Can't drive and run a computer at the same time. This is the way we have to do it, so we do it.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by carelm
Thanks poboyblues,

I would have to say the service personnel I have dealt with are very professional and pleasant. When I took my Jaguar in for a problem with the expansion tank a while ago, they made every effort to address any issues I had with my S-Type. I brought up the issue I had with the differential and they resolved it fairly quickly. From my perspective, the effort Jaguar has expended towards customer satisfaction has certainly paid off. It may not mean much but please pass on my appreciation to the technicians in the trenches.

Mike
I'm glad you appreciate us. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, I was expecting it to be a $400-$500 service. Thanks once again

Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Jon89 - quite. I've found poboyblues to be knowledgeable, so am certainly inclined to believe him. However, there's a gulf between what we know for sure, what we can measure and so on.

If the data is on GTR I'm probably willing to pay to join and read it. I object to paying without knowing what I'd be getting.

Anyone can go into a dealer and ask to have the newest TCM software. But how would you check the dealer properly did the reflash?

How many dealers would let you sit with their tech as the work was done so you could check the data?

I can read the "calibration" version (CVN as it's known in OBD) for PCM and TCM but I don't know what they should be. (I have an ELM lead and enough software to do this.)

(A similar gulf would apply if I had a BMW with ZF box.)
Damn, I was pretty much following this until you went mad with the nemonics! Can you do a translation for the unknowledgeable like myself? Thanks.

Oh, I just became a senior member, and yet I know very little about Jaguars......

Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

CM = control module; p=powertrain, t=transmission

google:
jaguar GTR
OBD
CVN OBD
ELM electronics
ZF

Old 09-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

That was a bit terse, sorry.

government and others set goals:
lower emissions
better fuel efficiency
better braking
comfort (a/c etc)
audio etc
and all the rest

so we got broadband-connected multi-computer vehicles

S-Type has 4 different buses (aka busses) (ISO 9141, SCP/PWM, CAN, D2B) and a lot of modules each with complex electronics

trying to mix fuel with air and burn it

a fairly small number of codes (DTCs) are reported via OBD

all the other errors might be reported in who knows what ways

Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Thanks for that. From a completely non technical and purely observational point, if I coast to a halt, no lurch, if I have to stop suddenly, then chances are there will be a lurch, but not always.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM

I have tried the car with sport mode on for a couple of days and no lurch. But sometimes there is a pause before the car gets going under acceleration. I and another driver got a bit of a fright today when I pulled out onto a round-a-bout.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Lurch latest TSB?

Originally Posted by poboyblues
I can't honestly be accurate here, Vee. Some dealers charge differently, of course. I would expect at least 3 hours or so for the additive, TCM reflash, and adaptation procedure. The adaptation procedure alone takes quite some time as there are many adaptations to perform several times during the process. Also Jag recommends the adaptation procedure be done as a two man operation due to liability issues with driving with a live laptop. Can't drive and run a computer at the same time. This is the way we have to do it, so we do it.
Thanks for this info PBB.
Question: Do you have the TSB number for this procedure?
My dealer is not aware of the lurch Theory (or so they claim)
I have TSB S307-17 to show them but you state that is now obsolete.
That is why I would love to have the number of the latest TSB if there is one,
Thanks for helping on here it is much appreciated.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Lurch Theory Question

I got the reprogramming of the TCM and they did the adaptive work also. I will drive according to suggestions for the next 200 miles and see what happens and report back. I do notice right away there is more pep at start-up, the shifting takes place at a different rpm and the gas mileage appears up about 10%. We will see if it holds.

Last edited by jazzwineman; 09-30-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:50 PM

We have 99% got rid of the lurch by simply using the Sport button. I drive with it on and my wife drives with it off and neither of us have much of a problem anymore.

Quick Reply: "The Lurch" Theory