S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery Performance Intake Kit for Jaguar S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mina Gallery Performance Intake Kit for Jaguar S-Type

I was thinking about installing the Mina Gallery (JaguarXP) Performance Intake Kit for Jaguar S-Type on my 2001 V8 Sports. I'm assuming it's a K&N filter, can anyone shed any light on this modification or recommend an alternative?

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...N%20filter.htm

I'm also researching replacing rotors and pads, leaning toward Brembo and Akebono Euro Ceramic pads, I've also looked at several eBay cheapy (R1, CQUENCE, BrakeMotive, Aspire) options but I guess you get what you pay for, all sound too good to be true for the price... any thoughts or suggestions? I'm looking to get the very best, cheers!

Thanks for your sage advice in advance fellas.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts
Default RE: Mina Gallery Performance Intake Kit for Jaguar S-Type

1) You are sucking in hot air form the engine bay with that design, a BIG nono, and that is even worse for supercharger cars.
2) You will lose the RAM air effect. The stock box/air flow, gets its (fresh cold) air from the front of the car, and benefits (only slightly) form the RAM air effect.
3) Only a slight difference in airflow/tube diameter, will cause a different MAF reading, and that is crucial for the right mixture at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) conditions. Not something to tamper with without carefully monitoring!

Now assuming they have done some pre and after dyno tests (would ask for these at least), an increase in power is possible under 2 conditions:

1) Have the hood open, so you will get fresh cooler air
2) Due to the new tube the MAF sensor sits in, the readings of air could be a tad lower, causing a leaner mixture, and that could give some extra horses.

My 2 cents.
Andre.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

DO NOT BUY THAT INTAKE.. like avos said its sucking in hot air.. bad for your car and terrible from a performance standpoint.. Until someone designs a new ram air intake for our cars, stick with stock.. JaguarXP probably spent all of 3 and half hours and 50 dollars designing that intake.. Jaguar Motors probably spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on design and testing and it took them years... ones undoubtedly going to work better than the other..

My best friend had a lincoln mark VII making 450whp with a stock air box... trust me, they arent really as bad as all the black plastics makes you think they are..

Old 09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking about buying that intake for my 2001 V8 as well.BUT it is not what it is cut out to be. In fact,my friend got one for his 2002 V8 and the check engine would always come on. THE MORAL IS, LEAVE THE STOCK AIR BOX IN!!!! Also as a side note: my mechanic has told me an intake alone does nothing for horsepower. A true upgrade is intake(cold air), headers, FULL exhaust put TOGETHER. People think they can ADD performance by doing one or the other. Truly it is a big money waste. This intake only adds a throaty sound at high RPMs. For 135 plus shipping not worth it. And K & N??? K & N air filters are not a God's gift to the world. Just because they come with a 1,000,000 mile warranty does not make themflawless. Hyundais come with good warranties butyou do not see them getting anywhere. Bottomline, some upgrades are just not worth it.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 AM

That's the kind of logical well though-out information I was looking for... looks like I'll have an extra 130 to spend on the rotors and pads, thanks gents.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:52 AM

Wish i had though to ask the question before i ordered and installed mine....****

Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: harounq21

.... Hyundais come with good warranties butyou do not see them getting anywhere. Bottomline, some upgrades are just not worth it.
Actually Hyundai has grown in quality, customer satisfaction, and as a company in whole since they first arrived here in the States. Personally, I'd ****** up their '09 Genesis (what a machine!) in a second if finances would allow. With that said..I get your point..but disagree with the example you chose to use. Cheers!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Venumb

ORIGINAL: harounq21

.... Hyundais come with good warranties butyou do not see them getting anywhere. Bottomline, some upgrades are just not worth it.
Actually Hyundai has grown in quality, customer satisfaction, and as a company in whole since they first arrived here in the States. Personally, I'd ****** up their '09 Genesis (what a machine!) in a second if finances would allow. With that said..I get your point..but disagree with the example you chose to use. Cheers!
Yeah you are right. My examples always suck. You should see my essay tests in school. ANYWAYS, That genesis is crazy. Faster that a boxter in 0-60. And quicker in stopping than a 5 series BMW. I would but that too!. Butdebadge it straight from the dealer!!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM

I've already discussed this on my local forum. I'll be working with some guys to fab up an intake to suck in air from the grill. Corvettes do this alot with CAI's.

http://www.maconracers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9065

Also, K&N isn't gods gift to hp but they will custom fabricate a filter for your needs.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Ideally were trying to create this.......

Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 PM

Oh, thats not my engine bay... it's one I found on here.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Marcus

.... If you come up with a good intake kit that still allows for the ram air....let me know.

+1

Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Ok guys Im starting to brainstorm the ram air idea... Does anyone have a 05+ Mustang GT because I think they might use the same sized oval inlet and I have an idea.... but I need someone who has both cars to check.. My friend Kate has one, but girls dont like it when guys take their cars apart..[sm=sigh.gif]

Name:  Ford_Engine_Bay_768.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  100.1 KB

Old 10-05-2008, 11:35 PM

Those strut tower covers look retarded![:'(]

whiteSTR..I like where you're going w/ this! Keep us posted!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM

Here is an idea, not sure where the filter would be....

[IMG]local://upfiles/4044/DD8ED23FA9644335BE11CF570E44A6D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah the Ferlitomotors intake would be great, and it uses a panel filter like the stock, its just smaller.. The problem with that intake is that it goes right where the coolant expansion tank goes.. So either it would need to be moved, or a custom tank would need to be fabricated and without the appropriate software the car wouldnt be very happy with such a high flowing direct intake.. My plan is to create a larger duct to force a higher volume of colder air into the factory box, and experiment with removing the silencers on the intake tube and see whether it does more bad or good... Ideally I want to keep the stock airbox to retain the secondary air intake flap.. The flap opens via an actuator under hard acceleration to give the motor extra air.. I already have a custom built exhaust, but to make more power I need better programming and a better intake.. Im building a mold right now and once its done, the tube will be made of either abs (I have a plastic manufacturing company) or Im going to make a prototype of fiberglass.. Its top secret right now hahaha but when I have dyno numbers to back it up, I might see if enough people want them... and if so, Ill have a mold made for one of the injection molding machines and put them up for sale...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Sounds like you are taking it seriously, keep me updated as I would definately be interested.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: whiteSTR

Yeah the Ferlitomotors intake would be great, and it uses a panel filter like the stock, its just smaller.. The problem with that intake is that it goes right where the coolant expansion tank goes.. So either it would need to be moved, or a custom tank would need to be fabricated and without the appropriate software the car wouldnt be very happy with such a high flowing direct intake.. My plan is to create a larger duct to force a higher volume of colder air into the factory box, and experiment with removing the silencers on the intake tube and see whether it does more bad or good... Ideally I want to keep the stock airbox to retain the secondary air intake flap.. The flap opens via an actuator under hard acceleration to give the motor extra air.. I already have a custom built exhaust, but to make more power I need better programming and a better intake.. Im building a mold right now and once its done, the tube will be made of either abs (I have a plastic manufacturing company) or Im going to make a prototype of fiberglass.. Its top secret right now hahaha but when I have dyno numbers to back it up, I might see if enough people want them... and if so, Ill have a mold made for one of the injection molding machines and put them up for sale...
What sort of design software do you use? We have AutoCad, Kubatek Spectrum, Esprit and KeyCreator. I'd be more than happy to help on this project. Plus, things have slowed down here at the plant and I'd like to see this get off the ground.

Quick Reply: Mina Gallery Performance Intake Kit for Jaguar S-Type