S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving camp from X-Types & X308s to a new S-Type :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Moving camp from X-Types & X308s to a new S-Type :-)

OK - I have now officially left the X308 & X-Type forums and now live here in the S-Type section :-)

I have just collected an S-Type SE 2007 model 2.7D in what I describe as dark gunmetal grey with redwood trim, and a mocha/oatmeal interior with 89000 on the clock and a reasonable service history.

The trip to the dealer involved a train journey into London, and across to the north side of town.. I had forgotten what is like on the trains - despite years ago commuting by train. But after three changes found myself just a 5 min walk from the dealer.

On arrival at the dealer I found it covered in dust from a nearby building site, which immediately has you wondering what may be covered up. But I went over the car and whilst not perfect it is actually in very good condition for the year. The engine bay area looks almost as new, and there was no signs of having had any water leakage in the boot. So had a chat with the dealer, took £300 off the price and took her home.

On the way home the fuel guage didn't move from a 1/4 full so I filled her up, wondering why it hadn't moved yet only to find on the next switch on it read way way past full, but then over the course of a few on/offs on ignition it fially found it's home position and has been fine since. The fuel guauge must have got stuck or jammed somehow.

At speeds around town she brakes fine, and the electronic handbrake seemed to have no issues but did find on the motorway at high speed you do get a slight wobble on steering if braking hard so wondering if the disks need changing - but no rush now I know it does it..

Spent some time getting an initial wash and wax done at home the following morning and wow am I glad I did.. a huge transformation. I know when I had the blue X-Type there was never much depth to the paint.. not complaining but that is how it was, and when I had the X308s the paint had a huge amount of depth to it.. the S-Type grey is gorgeous and quite deep looking when waxed - I love it.. The chromed wire mesh grill, the big rear light clusters - I wasn't sure how I would get on with an S-Type but yes I have fallen for it :-)

Have topped up the fluids, washed and waxed her, beeswaxed the rosewood, applied a little conditioner to the leather, connected up my phone (first time ever for me :-)) and now just waiting for next weekend impatiently lol

Not the best pictures, but have a couple of shots attached to this - will take more over the next few weeks

Attached Thumbnails Moving camp from X-Types & X308s to a new S-Type :-)-20170403_062653_hdr.jpg   Moving camp from X-Types & X308s to a new S-Type :-)-20170403_062602_hdr.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Nice wheels Steve ! I like those.
Congratulations on your car and I hope it gives you many more hours of driving pleasure.

The following users liked this post:
SteveSheldon (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Welcome to the S-type world Steve. Great looking car!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Welcome to the S Type forum Steve. Although we don't have many diesel owners here you will find a wraith of DIYs in the "How To" at the top of the forum page.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 AM

Yes thankyou, have been digging through the stickies today :-)

So far I have to admit I am impressed with the S-Type SE, for me it is a good family car between the sizes of the X308 & X-Type which I have previously owned, but with the luxuries I never had on either :-)

A Diesel engine is a new thing for me too, so busy trying to learn about the S-Type specifics, and a change in engine design :-)

Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Congratulations on buying a nice car.

Just a bit of advice keep an eye on the oil level because quite a few owners have had problems with diesel contamination due the dfp regeneration sometimes failing to function correctly. The easiest way to do this is to keep the oil on the upper mark on the dip stick so you can see if it is going up.

SteveSheldon (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Hi Ducman - Please excuse my lack of knowledge of Diesels.. large petrols I am much more comfortable with, as have always had them, and this is my first diesel..

But to double check I am keeping an eye on the oil to see if it rises in level, rather than falls? Just double checking as have always just watched for a fall.. :-)

Is there a laymans description of what the DPF does and how it regenerates? I am assuming it filters particulates out of the exhaust gasses, and if it is hot it can burn them off like a catalytic system on a petrol Jaguar?

I have got used to not being a complete newbie with petrol engines lol it looks like I am back on the start of a new learning curve.. :-) Apologies

Old 04-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't have a diesel my but there are a lot of information on this forum where diesels are more common. http://www.jaguarforum.com

Yes you do have to look out that it does not rise. When the dfp is being regenerate diesel is fed to it. This ignites burning the particles away. When the regeneration does not work correctly then this diesel gets into the cylinder as excess fuel which does not ignite. E.g. the process starts and then you get stopped in a traffic jam so the dfp is no longer hot enough to ignite the diesel.

Due to the very high pressure in the cylinders this diesel can get pushed past the piston rings and dilute the oil. Once this has occurred the oil is no longer able to lubricant the con rods correctly which can result in them throwing a bearing.

On . The diesel cars jaguar have made it that they will tell you to change the oil. Do not ignore this.

Its nothing to lose sleep over just keep an eye on the oil level as usual and if it rises replace it

SteveSheldon (04-04-2017)