Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 Port Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

It boils down to this.

If you've got the touch screen then the only option is the ACM. Search and read about how that works. The audio quality can be terrific. The controls not so much. Sort of works with Ipad. Aux-in, USB and Ipod are the options. I'm using an MP3 player in flac format through aux-in.

If you have the non touch screen then there are systems out there to interface with that. You can also fit a complete new head unit. The most flexible situation.

FM modulators suck IMHO.

Honestly that's the long and the short of it.

Now go read all about it for yourselves.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

I guess an audio expert could connect anything in on any of the variants (but I don't know how exactly). Just a matter of amps, impedance matching and stuff I have little interest in nowadays.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

The fiberoptic interface and the lack of aftermarket solutions for Jag's version make the cars with the Nav screen limited in options. The other versions have no such issues AFAIK.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
It boils down to this.

..... If you have the non touch screen then there are systems out there to interface with that. You can also fit a complete new head unit. The most flexible situation.

FM modulators suck IMHO.

Honestly that's the long and the short of it.
Given the ambient noise level in a moving car, how much fidelity can one expect from stereo system so a hard wired fm modulator is insufficient?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TonyX
Given the ambient noise level in a moving car, how much fidelity can one expect from stereo system so a hard wired fm modulator is insufficient?
The car isn't always moving.
Frequency range.
Go try one.
I have two. Both suck. Competing FM stations always seemed to be an issue when I tried mine out.

But it's your call.

It IS cheap.

In my case I am in the process of converting all my music to flac format on my HTPC and I wanted to be able to load that on an MP3 type player which I now have and that goes via AUXIN to the Jag's system. I control the playlist via the player. One format style for everything.

Totally non-integrated with the car's stereo though.

I understand that there's been a more recent update to the firmware in the the Jag ACM so that using an Ipod is better now.

If you're interested dig out one of the existing threads.

My 2 centavos.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

I think the non-Nav premium audio equipped s-types from 03 onwards also had fibre optic wiring, so you cannot really splice into the L/R channels as some continue to suggest,

I read this thread start to finish, very comprehensive, although it is for the XJ guys, still good read,

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-cable-32776/

by the end of that thread, they have discovered this particular product, and hail it as their audio messiah,

JAG-CDR iPod Adapter with CD Changer Retention for Select Jaguars :: iPod Adapters & Interfaces

however, that product or any of its derivatives, is not compatible with the fibre optic equipped cars, such as my STR,

so back to square one i think, I'm not really much of an audiophile, so not burning to spend too much on an In-Car-Entertainment upgrade,
I want to set aside up to $500 on audio equipment,
so I'm thinking of upgrading the stock headunit to some fancy touch screen double-din unit with GPS maybe,
or, keep the stock headunit, and upgrade all the speakers (only 4 after all?) the two oval subwoofers on the rear parcel shelf, and a new amplifier to drive all of them, the previous owner blew out at least the rear subs so i have them set to minimum and have the door speakers do all the low work right now,

decisions...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I'm a Parrott fan-boy; But I'm no audiophile. I may have navigation + traffic, Pandora or Rush 24/7 all running...and maybe an incoming call or two. Hardly ever use the head-unit anymore except as a means to get phone output to installed car speakers. I put the MKI-9200 in the daughter's 03 S-type a few years ago. I believe there exists a kit to allow the steering wheel controls to operate it, but I didn't buy nor fit it. (car is not Premium audio nor nav/touchscreen) Wife has factory-fitted BT module in her 05 S-Type sans ACM. So immediately, no streaming audio in there, though you can talk on the phone. If I may, Jag Factory BT module circa 2005 really sucks in comparison to Parrott MKI9200. (and that's AFTER making allowance for its restricted capabilities - Just talking phone vs. phone) MKI9200 gives you a 3.5mm, USB, and an Apple plug, + BT

My 21 yr old daughter likes the Parrott but I wouldn't call her an audiophile either, and seems equally happy listening to CD's via the head unit or MP3/Pandora via the Parrott. Now the 19 yr old son....THERE"s your audiophile. I fit another MKI9200 to his 2003 F150, but then he's got it amp'd and sub-woofed. Given that, he's happy with it.

Me? why yes...a cassette tape with a 3.5mm male end, of course.....I'm as yet unwilling to give up the smooth, integrated look of the X300 head unit nor the speed-adjusted volume....and the phone mounts in a way that makes it "just as good" as a BT unit for calling...near enough to me for the phone's area mic - though I do have to manually minimize the HVAC fan if the wife calls as soon as I get in the car after it hot-soaks at work all day - phone is in the a/c slipstream for cooling - otherwise won't charge on long trips.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

You almost have me sold on installing the Parrot on my 2005 S However the unit seems to need considerable wiring modification to interface with my non-preminum, non-CDC equipped S. Did you go through the steps outlined here to install yours?

Attached Files
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Not at all. It was plug-n-play with a $40ish jumper harness. I thought I'd put up a pictorial on it...but searched S-type, then Audio...no joy so searched all my posts and still a "no"....so just looked through 19 pages of my "S-Type Mechanicals" album on Photobucket and couldn't find the pics..that I'm CERTAIN I took...even if I never did anything with them!

I'll see if I can find a link to the harness - not sure if they changed things up for 05 or not - even though I have both....haven't pulled the (identical-looking) head unit out of the 05 yet nor had a rummage around behind it.

Edit:
Here's the harness: Parrot Kits and Quick Connect Harness Adapters
but look around, I think you can find them a bit cheaper. Also check e-bay/Amazon for the Parrot..think I gave <$200 for at least one of them if not both.

Finally found my photos and uploaded them to Photobook. It's not great, but maybe gives you an idea of the process.

MKI9200 Install Photos by holbrz1 | Photobucket

Last edited by aholbro1; 03-27-2013 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TonyX (03-28-2013)