S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Smart Start for the STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Interesting, this start/stop technology. Decided to have a closer look with Google - apart from the cost increase to beef up the starter and battery, there's the small but ever-growing irritation waiting for the engine to re-start up again and again...

How it works:

Manual tranny:
Once you've stopped, you simply slide the car into neutral gear, release the clutch and Start/Stop technology deactivates your engine. Then, when you're ready to get going again, you simply dip the clutch and the system turns everything back on.

So, in this case, the parked car would be in neutral, and the start/stop feature would immediately shut down the remotely-started engine.

Automatic tranny:
If you're driving an automatic, the system kicks in and automatically deactivates your engine whenever you've stepped on the brake and reactivates it whenever you press the accelerator.

Don't like the sound of that too much but, as long as the remote starter doesn't depress the accelerator at startup, would probably be OK.

I like GT42R's reasoning about the remote start, and would be happy to accept it as a present, fully-installed. I guess that does not put me in the top 5% of environmentally-conscious citizens.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

i had a new 5 series BMW loaner car a few months back that had that, every time you came to a stop the motor stopped, then started up again... while it was almost seamless i did not like it ... and would not want one but im sure thats the wave of the future prior to everything being battery powered...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Received 6,279 Likes on 5,475 Posts

I had a Mercedes diesel rental a couple of weeks ago and it did not stop every time the car stopped, there seemed to be a delay of a few seconds to ensure you had made a "real" stop.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

i've driven many cars with start stop.

they only do it when up to normal operating temp.

they don't seem to stop of a night when lights, rear window demister and heater are on.

the ford system is the worst, it cuts the engine at about 3mph which is no big deal, until you knock it into n just before you come to a stop at lights on a steep hill and it cuts the engine anf you have no steering or brakes.

the best system seemed to be from vw.

anyway, i hate it an always turn it off if possible.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Because the car would automatically turn itself off in short order to save fuel so it wouldn't warmup or cool down as desired?

You're right it's laughable ...

Originally Posted by Injekter
QUOTE=Staatsof;923678]I guess that wouldn't work out so will with this add on.
WHY? this is a remote start..... just pretend you have a key for your car that's 50 feet long, and you can put it in the ignition from 50 feet away and start the car......it has nothing to do with anything else... not fuel mileage not tire pressure or even how many air bags you have......can you really not grasp the concept here? this is laughable ...i mean really

fyi the start/stop technology mentioned prior is a eco thing... and its performed in drive.... while driving the car..... its not a remote start and has nothing to do with remote start.... nothing.. so stop[/QUOTE]

Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Because the car would automatically turn itself off in short order to save fuel so it wouldn't warmup or cool down as desired?

You're right it's laughable ...

WHY? this is a remote start..... just pretend you have a key for your car that's 50 feet long, and you can put it in the ignition from 50 feet away and start the car......it has nothing to do with anything else... not fuel mileage not tire pressure or even how many air bags you have......can you really not grasp the concept here? this is laughable ...i mean really

fyi the start/stop technology mentioned prior is a eco thing... and its performed in drive.... while driving the car..... its not a remote start and has nothing to do with remote start.... nothing.. so stop
[/QUOTE]

the start /stop feature works only while driving, when in drive....not sitting in your driveway.... otherwise you would never be able to take your car anywhere...... are you just messing with me.....or is this really how you figure stuff out?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I tell people the "lurch" is a design feature from Jaguar to help improve fuel econ by using the potential energy of rubber bands in the transmission.