Sponsored by:

OBD Scan Software

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Default OBD Scan Software

Just waiting for a usb scanner to arrive (elm 327) and have been
offered the software listed below, but i don't have a clue about any of them, i've never used a an obd tool, so am looking for something simple to use to read codes with to start.

Can any of the software listed change/program anything on my car with an elm 327 ? (i don't want to wreck my car)

So, any recomendations ?

* AutoEnginuty ScanTool v.6.0.2
* Carsoft BMW v.6.5
* Carsoft Mercedes Benz v.7.4
* DDT2000 Renault v.2.0.9.0
* Diagnose v.4.1
* DigiMoto v.4.03
* EFI LIVE v.4.6.5, v.7.5.4, & v.7.5.5
* ECM2001 v.3.2
* Finalist v.1.0
* FordScan v.2.02
* Galleto OBD2
* INNOVA 1003c Program
* INPA v.5.0
* KWP2000
* OBD Diagnostincs, Inc. CD
* OBD Wiz
* OBDTool v.1.2.60
* OP-Tech2
* PCMscan v.2.4.5.824
* ProScan v.5.6 & v.5.7
* ScanMaster ELM v.1.6 & v.2.0.7
* TachSoft Mileage Calculator v.1.2

Thanks

Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Some (e.g. AE - AutoEnginuity) won't work with an elm.

Some sound the wrong car make.

elm will likely come with some free software or else download it.

Your car's PCM does not use KWP.

mileage calculators are IMO pointless.

There's a site sticky somewhere (Gen Tech?) about OBD tools that's worth a hunt through. AE is in there, with others.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

My Elm came with OBD Wiz as part of the package.
That should be more than enough to get you up and running and get a feel for the tool.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

ok, thanks, i'll try obdwiz.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

What platform are you going to use?

I bought one of the cheapo $25 elm327 USB adapters about 6 months ago.

My current platform options are an Ipad or a windows mobile 6.5 phone.

There's very little out there for either of those in combination with the elm usb.

I haven't been able to get anything to work reliably so I haven't bothered to buy any software.

I am a bit suspicious at this point that the elm isn't completely working properly though it does pair up with my windows phone and the Ipad (jail broken) but then the tough part starts.

Dashcommand looks sort of OK for the Ipad but they're free trial version just won't stay linked up with the IPad using the ELM327 USB even with the jailbroken new BT stack installed. There could be multiple problems involved.

After looking over the various forums I get the feeling WIFI is better anyway. Even when I could get the BT working for a stretch it was terribly laggy and most the software is really into a bunch of useless display graphics that also operate terribly if the data stream isn't fast or your processor isn't powerful. Maybe it's much better on good laptop?

Frankly, I just like cables better anyway. Much simpler.

I've just about decided to give up on the BT elm.

Originally Posted by police666
Just waiting for a usb scanner to arrive (elm 327) and have been
offered the software listed below, but i don't have a clue about any of them, i've never used a an obd tool, so am looking for something simple to use to read codes with to start.

Can any of the software listed change/program anything on my car with an elm 327 ? (i don't want to wreck my car)

So, any recomendations ?

* AutoEnginuty ScanTool v.6.0.2
* Carsoft BMW v.6.5
* Carsoft Mercedes Benz v.7.4
* DDT2000 Renault v.2.0.9.0
* Diagnose v.4.1
* DigiMoto v.4.03
* EFI LIVE v.4.6.5, v.7.5.4, & v.7.5.5
* ECM2001 v.3.2
* Finalist v.1.0
* FordScan v.2.02
* Galleto OBD2
* INNOVA 1003c Program
* INPA v.5.0
* KWP2000
* OBD Diagnostincs, Inc. CD
* OBD Wiz
* OBDTool v.1.2.60
* OP-Tech2
* PCMscan v.2.4.5.824
* ProScan v.5.6 & v.5.7
* ScanMaster ELM v.1.6 & v.2.0.7
* TachSoft Mileage Calculator v.1.2

Thanks

Old 02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by police666
ok, thanks, i'll try obdwiz.
OBDWiz is a good one to get started with. Once you get your feet wet and want to move on, I highly recommend PCMScan or it's successor ScanXL, both from Palmer Performance. I use both a USB Elm 327 interface and a bluetooth Elm 327 depending on what I'm doing or where I'm doing it. It's a bit daunting while learning to use it, but it's capabilities are immense. In some cases it does me a better job than Jag's IDS/SDD.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof

There's very little out there for either of those in combination with the elm usb.

I haven't been able to get anything to work reliably so I haven't bothered to buy any software.

I am a bit suspicious at this point that the elm isn't completely working properly though it does pair up with my windows phone and the Ipad (jail broken) but then the tough part starts.

Dashcommand looks sort of OK for the Ipad but they're free trial version just won't stay linked up with the IPad using the ELM327 USB even with the jailbroken new BT stack installed. There could be multiple problems involved.

After looking over the various forums I get the feeling WIFI is better anyway. Even when I could get the BT working for a stretch it was terribly laggy and most the software is really into a bunch of useless display graphics that also operate terribly if the data stream isn't fast or your processor isn't powerful. Maybe it's much better on good laptop?

I wouldn't give up on bluetooth. It works so well if you just use a standard laptop instead of the iPhone or iPad. Mine works flawlessly with a $5 bluetooth dongle or the internal bluetooth in my Dell Inspiron. And it is every bit as fast as the USB hookup. I'm a believer!

Cheers,

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I wouldn't give up on bluetooth. It works so well if you just use a standard laptop instead of the iPhone or iPad. Mine works flawlessly with a $5 bluetooth dongle or the internal bluetooth in my Dell Inspiron. And it is every bit as fast as the USB hookup. I'm a believer!

Cheers,
I just don't buy laptops anymore. They become obsolete too fast. Frankly, I'm not sure anything works with a WM phone but I think the Ipad probably will work if I switch to WIFI. Apple hasn't implemented the BT for the ELM BT and the Jailbroken stuff doesn't seem to work either. So either a WIFI dongle or USB cable that's Apple "blessed" (god I hate them for this) will be under $100.

No laptop can match that.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 PM

I just don't buy laptops anymore. They become obsolete too fast. Frankly, I'm not sure anything works with a WM phone but I think the Ipad probably will work if I switch to WIFI. Apple hasn't implemented the BT for the ELM BT and the Jailbroken stuff doesn't seem to work either. So either a WIFI dongle or USB cable that's Apple "blessed" (god I hate them for this) will be under $100.

No laptop can match that.
I'm with you on that for the most part, but a cheap laptop kept to use for the car diagnostics would be a good way to go. Obsolescence wouldn't be an issue. You don't by any means need all the newest bells and whistles to do OBDII diagnostics, in fact it probably wouldn't work as well.

Justa thought.

The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Languid (02-11-2012), Staatsof (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Heck, yes. Almost any old laptop, say with XP, would be fine.

A phone is going to be poor as the display is so small, and then you have the problem that the CPU is not an Intel/AMD x86 compatible so you'll be very short on choices of apps. The ones I saw were really limited, years behind what's available on a laptop.

It does depend, though, on whether you want to tinker for 10 mins or actually achieve something. If the former, maybe don't bother at all. (Because a modern car engine is very complex so the software reports a lot of things and if you don't take the trouble to understand then you just drown in data.)

Last edited by JagV8; 02-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm with you on that for the most part, but a cheap laptop kept to use for the car diagnostics would be a good way to go. Obsolescence wouldn't be an issue. You don't by any means need all the newest bells and whistles to do OBDII diagnostics, in fact it probably wouldn't work as well.

Justa thought.
Which BT dongle do I need for an old laptop that has no built in BT and do I need anything else. My desktop IS running XP and it is also about 25 ft in a staright line from a car in the driveway so perhaps ... ?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Which BT dongle do I need for an old laptop that has no built in BT and do I need anything else. My desktop IS running XP and it is also about 25 ft in a staright line from a car in the driveway so perhaps ... ?
I have the two shown in the pic. These are Class 1 bluetooth devices, they have a range of two hundred feet or better, line of sight. The one in my Dell is a Class 2 bluetooth, it's range is about 35 feet, still good enough for most things. The big one I've had three or four years, the little one I bought 3 or 4 months ago on eBay for $4.95/free shipping. Hard to beat that!! Just pay attention to the range in the specifications, that will tell you Class 1 or 2 if it isn't actually stated.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails OBD Scan Software-0209121651.jpg  

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-09-2012 at 04:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (02-09-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

I have the two shown in the pic. These are Class 1 bluetooth devices, they have a range of two hundred feet or better, line of sight. The one in my Dell is a Class 2 bluetooth, it's range is about 35 feet, still good enough for most things. The big one I've had three or four years, the little one I bought 3 or 4 months ago on eBay for $4.95/free shipping. Hard to beat that!!

Cheers,
Anyone know what the range of those goofy el cheapo elm327 BT things is?

At $5 I suppose it's worth yet another gamble ...

Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Anyone know what the range of those goofy el cheapo elm327 BT things is?

At $5 I suppose it's worth yet another gamble ...
Man, you are another case of someone being soured by Apple and it's intent for it's products not to play well with others. Apple's stuff is great, as long as you only use it with their other stuff, and replace it regularly. They REALLY like the 'replace it regularly' part!

Here's a pic of my bluetooth Elm 327 style interface. Most of the time I leave it coiled up like this and let it hang to the floor. I can be anywhere in our shop and the bluetooth connects just fine. Once in a while I uncoil it and drape the interface over the rearview mirror out in the parking lot. I can then read and clear codes or monitor OBDII from my bench. Range just hasn't been a problem for me.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I'll add that I don't consider the ELM interface 'Goofy', it does some serious work for me when I need it.

Attached Thumbnails OBD Scan Software-0210120825.jpg  

Last edited by xjrguy; 02-10-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

I meant the really el cheapo looking BT ones on Ebay that are only $20.

Yours looks like someone would admit to manufacturing it. LOL

Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

I'm using win 7 ultimate x86 with usb elm

Old 02-10-2012, 09:22 AM

I meant the really el cheapo looking BT ones on Ebay that are only $20.

Yours looks like someone would admit to manufacturing it. LOL
Well, I know all of those are Chinese clones, and I know there have been issues with them connecting to Fords as late as 2003. Our stuff is pretty close to Ford's for sure.

You know the line, you get what you pay for. Just look close at the version. There is no v1.4a, there is no v1.5 anything. Look for ELM 327 v1.4b.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

I bought the very cheapest - looks like the clone Staatsof posted but it's USB not BT. Works fine. I run it far faster (1Mbps) than its default (38400 I think) and it just runs great. Bought a similar-looking one for a mate (absolutely the cheapest I could LOL) and it worked the same as far as I could tell.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 AM
RRT
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some software called Movi by a company called Hasi works on Apple laptops and requires an Elm327 interface and is suppose to support bluetooth and Wifi. Don't recall if it will also work with an IPAD. There's another Apple App for an iPhone or iPad but I'm not sure how useful it is. The Movi software is about a hundred bucks and they say to download the demo to make sure it works with the Elm327 before downloading the complete version, because they don't give refunds. They also have an Elm327 on their website but it seems to be a few dollars pricier than market.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

No way would I pay $100 for it!!!! What a rip off. Oh, wait, iRip Off with iPrices.

Quick Reply: OBD Scan Software