Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An observation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts
Default An observation

In the time I have been a member of this wonderful forum I have read a lot of threads and posts, especially the new members with needs of help. I have noticed 3 issues that seem to pop up the most on our S types from new members.... Cooling problems including leaks...battery induced problems and transmission troubles including leaks...does anyone else see the same or differently....Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate it and happy day to all

Old 11-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

We get more of those this time of year.

We always get people with lean codes (P0171 / P0174).

And lots of other things, such as suspension issues.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9
I have noticed 3 issues that seem to pop up the most on our S types from new members.... Cooling problems including leaks...battery induced problems and transmission troubles including leaks...does anyone else see the same or differently...
I'd agree with the first two, but think I've seen more climate control issues/fears instead of transmission problems. Maybe I'm biased after writing my HVAC guide, I don't know.

On a totally unrelated note, I drove my truck to work today because my wife needed the car. (Gotta love airline work, I have a bona fide excuse to avoid Mandatory Family Fun. Presently am burping up Second Breakfast, all on overtime pay.) Lately, my Jag has been throwing an occasional code for one of the cats, so before most trips I connect an OBD app on my phone to watch for the code. Was still half asleep as I let the engine warm up a little this morning, and on autopilot I tried connecting my OBD app to my 1984 pickup...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
I'd agree with the first two, but think I've seen more climate control issues/fears instead of transmission problems. Maybe I'm biased after writing my HVAC guide, I don't know.

On a totally unrelated note, I drove my truck to work today because my wife needed the car. (Gotta love airline work, I have a bona fide excuse to avoid Mandatory Family Fun. Presently am burping up Second Breakfast, all on overtime pay.) Lately, my Jag has been throwing an occasional code for one of the cats, so before most trips I connect an OBD app on my phone to watch for the code. Was still half asleep as I let the engine warm up a little this morning, and on autopilot I tried connecting my OBD app to my 1984 pickup...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Climate control and the lean codes were a toss up with the trans stuff...I left my cat suspension plug off the other day and got cats failure on the orange light and was totally stressed out for about 2 hours because I thought it meant cat converter....needless to say I overlooked the obvious...hook in the reader...no harm no foul I guess

Old 11-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjh9
In the time I have been a member of this wonderful forum I have read a lot of threads and posts, especially the new members with needs of help. I have noticed 3 issues that seem to pop up the most on our S types from new members.... Cooling problems including leaks...battery induced problems and transmission troubles including leaks...does anyone else see the same or differently....Happy Thanksgiving to those that celebrate it and happy day to all
I think that`s a fair comment.
Electrical problems and failure of electrical control components is another regular.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:15 AM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm fairly near here and I think those are the top 3.

As a DIY'er I also see something a bit unique here (and at another European car forum) as compared to american branded car forums. And that is the over importance of using OEM parts and certain methods to fix things. Seems to me a lot here just regurgitate what they have heard.
As a (hard core) DIY'er I wan't to find a way to do it myself, save, and maybe even make improvements. I also want to know why and how things are the way they are. I just don't accept the narrative as presented and this at times puts me at odds with other forums posters.

For example there is a steering wheel squeak issue with the S-Type. I searched and searched and the "solution" is to buy a $30 bottle of friction modifier. Well... maybe..... but I tried using my own intellect and thought it best to first flush the old fluid. I did and guess what... the squeak is gone. -> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...vation-209156/

One repeated argument against my thoughts/posts is that the OEM engineers know far more than I do. Well... I am one and I can tell you many of my colleagues couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag. In the case of the S-Type... I was at Ford in the early 90's and I designed at least 1 part on this car.

I guess my point is... don't just repeat what you've seen posted. Think critically and do some experimenting. Have fun and don't try to dismiss posts that are contrary to the perceived narrative.

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 11-24-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

In my case the additive was under $10 and worked fine. Very fast and easy to add. Still trouble free 8 years later.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

In my case.... in 2018 currency the cost for new fluid was <$4 and I've flushed out the 15yr old fluid w/wear partials in it.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

I can't buy PAS fluid for less than the additive, no matter where from as far as I can see.