S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 and P0174

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Not very big I think (it's "only" adding 17%) but I'm not a mechanic!

Hunt round all the hoses and joints in the air path between MAF and engine block.

Er......... why replace the injectors???

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Easiest thing would be a USB ELM327, about $20, plug it in and read fuel trims.
Both sides PCM adding fuel = lean conditions detected = air leak (*) or misfires.

(*) = at a location common to both banks.

If you hear hissing, leak found.

If you like, short squirts of propane (or similar), trims jump, leak found.
No jump anywhere = leak is where the propane isn't going (perhaps under the intake). Or it's not a leak.
Don't cause a fire!! Beware moving parts, too.
Yeah. Think the ELM was $50ish when I bought mine and really only got it to clear occasional p0411 codes on the XJ...and that before getting interested in the scanner threads. Gotta research those again and see if anyone has success with the BT-capable version that sends it to the phone....could be my first non-free app!

Old 04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Not very big I think (it's "only" adding 17%) but I'm not a mechanic!

Hunt round all the hoses and joints in the air path between MAF and engine block.

Er......... why replace the injectors???

I was going to clean the injectors due to previous owner running cheap gas. Cleaning was going to cost $18 a injector plus shipping cost and down time waiting.

I was able to buy a set of brand new from jaguar injectors for $12 a piece.

So I thought for that price it was a no brainer to replace them.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

17% is alot, 25% is max. The thing aboutvacuum leaks is they will be worse at idle when vacuum is highest. And yes why replace injectors when you can send them to injectorrx.com and have them cleaned rebuild with new orings and screens and then performance check again with flow charts for your injectors before and after. And much much cheaper than buying new

Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
17% is alot, 25% is max. The thing aboutvacuum leaks is they will be worse at idle when vacuum is highest. And yes why replace injectors when you can send them to injectorrx.com and have them cleaned rebuild with new orings and screens and then performance check again with flow charts for your injectors before and after. And much much cheaper than buying new

actually you would think it would be cheaper than new cleaning them,however I found a set brand new from jaguar in unopened boxes for $12 a piece, much cheaper than cleaning them at $18 a piece.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

It's a really good price. I'd be tempted!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks.
They don't look to fit the STR but he may have those some time.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guys, RP hasnt left my car in 8days.!! if i clear it, ive done so already twice, it comes back as soon as restart the car.. could driving like this have a serious affect on my car in the long run??

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member

Follow my post at #5 or I'm out of data

Also.... follow the thread and look for leaks

Last edited by JagV8; 04-08-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by STRaightJAGgin
guys, RP hasnt left my car in 8days.!! if i clear it, ive done so already twice, it comes back as soon as restart the car.. could driving like this have a serious affect on my car in the long run??
IF YOU CLEAR AND POPS THAT FAST ON RESTART I WOULD SAY YOU HAVE AN ISSUE YOURE NOT PULLING A CODE FOR OR A HUGE VACUUM LEAK OR HARD FAULT MAFS. YOU CAN DRIVE IN RP BUT IT GOES THERE TO LET YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A SERIOUS ISSUE AND LIMITS PERFORMANCE TO LIMIT DAMAGE TO THE CAR...OR YOURSELF LIKE THROTTLE TPS ISSUE, PEDAL POSITION SENSORS(THINK RUNAWAY TOYOTA) ETC....PERSONALLY I WOULD TAKE TO A DEALER AT THIS POINT SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE LIMITED ON DIAG AND HAVE THE ISSUE CHECKED WITH JAGUAR EXP. AND SOFTWARE THAT CAN READ ALL SYSTEMS AND CODES...OR YOU CAN KEEP TRYING IT'S UP TO YOU

Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Your vacuum leak can be from the air intake box the TB. Check the air intake box fitted properly along with the air intake pipe to the TB. Not being familiar (hands on) with a 4.2 s-type but you need to check the breather hoses located off the valve covers and the one directly under the intake going to the TB. You also have vacuum hoses from the brake master cylinder. The object is to check all the vacuum lines and connections to the TB and intake manifold. I have been down this road twice once on my xk8 and the other on my s-type and it is nor an easy task and I am saying this because it is going to take time. That leak can be anywhere from the engine bay to the gas cap. Yes the gas cap you need to check it.

Last edited by Gus; 04-08-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 AM

This is going to be much harder than I first thought. I took propane and sniffed it around all the hoses I could find and it didnt change the engine at all.

My car only throws the code when I really drive it agrresive.

Any suggestions when to look for air leak?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
IF YOU CLEAR AND POPS THAT FAST ON RESTART I WOULD SAY YOU HAVE AN ISSUE YOURE NOT PULLING A CODE FOR OR A HUGE VACUUM LEAK OR HARD FAULT MAFS. YOU CAN DRIVE IN RP BUT IT GOES THERE TO LET YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A SERIOUS ISSUE AND LIMITS PERFORMANCE TO LIMIT DAMAGE TO THE CAR...OR YOURSELF LIKE THROTTLE TPS ISSUE, PEDAL POSITION SENSORS(THINK RUNAWAY TOYOTA) ETC....PERSONALLY I WOULD TAKE TO A DEALER AT THIS POINT SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE LIMITED ON DIAG AND HAVE THE ISSUE CHECKED WITH JAGUAR EXP. AND SOFTWARE THAT CAN READ ALL SYSTEMS AND CODES...OR YOU CAN KEEP TRYING IT'S UP TO YOU
i think your right Brutal... Maybe taking it to the Jag dealer is the best option at this point.. just a little more info though, this all started after my uncle cleaned the TB and replaced the TB gasket.. maybe he did something wrong??
in no way is my uncle a Jag tech nor do i think hes had much experience with Jags, however he is a very good general mechanic and i figured that if he came across anything he didn't feel comfortable working on, he would let me know.. that being said, im supposed to take it to him tommorow morning for my 100k tune-up, any certified mechanic should be fully capable of doing a tune up.. even on a Jag.. rrriiiiiiiiiiggghhhhtttt???

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You are correct Brutal!

Let me say this Restricted Performance does not mean a vacuum leak but a vacuum leak, TB plug and many other things can mean Restricted Performance.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 PM

this is why I have a 05 s right now that a lady took to a shop that told her it occassionally wasnt starting because her ecu was bad and was covered under 8/80 emmissions. yes exactly what she wanted to hear. Except totally wrong. wds showed a can netwrok fault with the Instrument pack, and needs a new 1. She wasnt happy since this was gonna come out of her pocket now. And then a call from the shop that wanted to argue and couldnt see how we say the IP and theres no way that could keep the car from starting.....?????Well smart guys, the IP is the Gateway to the whole can network, and when you turn the key, it is the IP that communicates to the ECU that its okay to start..SOoo, no communication=no start, but not an ECU fault. Guys its very hard for me to diag over the phone, on the web, most everything that comes out of my mouth I know from memory and regular use. Thats why I seldom get involved in diag questions that involve me researching and looking up info and diagrams. I spend too much time here already without pay I know some do go to dealers and many of you try to avoid which is fine as long as there is mutual respect. Yes you pay more to see me, but I(dealers) can save alot of miss diags. of course this always goes both ways, we have techs er..mechanics that cant diag thier way out of wet paperbags. But we all try to work together and help cause its the customer afterall that we want to keep coming back and take care of. And there are many great techs at indy shops. but this is harder for them cause they just dont see the regular problems day after day and have many other techs or hotline for assistance. Plus cars are getting extremely harder to properly diagnose and compplicated software to program and diag, so bad that we even have regular software issues to deal with...I was recently told by a customer who is a software programmer that yes. Many times we fix 2 problems only to create 4 more, something we constantly deal with. Last night new software downloads and what worked yesturday doesnt today and we have to notify Jag and get a quick patch to fix...

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-11-2014)
Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Brutal, when you say "instrument pack or IP", do you mean the actual cluster (gauge) panel or is IP a computer box thingie?

If its the custer (guages) could a used one be the way to go for us DIYers?

I did a yahoo search on instrument packs nothing came up but when I searched instrument clusters, lo' and behold a bunch popped up rather inexpensive too boot, around $160.00 (used). The company states that mileage is stored in cars computer and these bolt in and when vehicle is started "your" actual mileage will appear.

Can you enlighten me please?

As always thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Old 04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Brutal, when you say "instrument pack or IP", do you mean the actual cluster (gauge) panel or is IP a computer box thingie?

And if so, does the replacement need to be "introduced" to the car via WDS or similar before it will all work together?

Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

To be a bit cheeky and answer - partially - for Brutal: yes he means the cluster (ICM). If you look at the elec diagrams you'll see how it fits in the comms (network) stuff.

The IP (ICM) is indeed a computer thingie and does rather more than just drive a few dials

You may recall it also does the DTM/ETM (Diagnostic/Engineering Test Mode) stuff, too.

I understand it's involved in security, mileage (odometer) and other stuff and any replacement would need to be both the right kind (they change with the years as you know) and then WDS/IDS used to do the right magic - but see what Brutal says about this stuff as he actually does it whereas I just read about it!!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag

I did a yahoo search on instrument packs nothing came up but when I searched instrument clusters, lo' and behold a bunch popped up rather inexpensive too boot, around $160.00 (used). The company states that mileage is stored in cars computer and these bolt in and when vehicle is started "your" actual mileage will appear.

Yes IP(instrument pack) is the guages, computer, and message center all rolled up into 1, just like your AC control panel is not only the buttons, but the computer too. you can use a USED compatible IP, and yes all the other computers retain ,ileage, BUT, when you program (marry/introduce) a new IP to the car, the mileage DOES NOT magically change to your previous mileage.
Depending on the car you either order a new IP preburned with mileage from Jaguar, or you use sdd to go into engineering mode with a seed code from Jaguar hotline that you call for to program mileage. And yes 1 time I programmed a new IP into a XF that didnt take, I didnt check when done and mileage started back at 0000. That customer was honest enough to NOT say anything, drove another 20k then sold the car and CARFAX popped up the mileage discrepancy and I have to buy anothe IP and program with the correct mileage. Once milage is burned you cannot change it(through Jaguar) I met a guy in MOAB last year offroading that owned a IP repair company in Cali and he had invested in the software to be able to change and program any IP including changing milage. So yes even though milage could be change in the IP display, You cant get around the fact the other ECU's store original mileage

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (04-11-2011)

Quick Reply: P0171 and P0174